• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Somebody pinch me...

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
...I must be dreaming. Towing this home right now... IMG_20150426_144950.jpg

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A real 356?

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
LOL. I ain't ballin that hard @Bruce ! The replicas are pricey enough!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
seriously? Real nice. Is it a replica like you said above? Do you work on cars like your screen name suggests (VW tech?)

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Love it!!!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
seriously? Real nice. Is it a replica like you said above? Do you work on cars like your screen name suggests (VW tech?)

Yes and yes!

Super nice rep though, made my Vintage Speedsters in Orange County.

I keep thinking I can't believe I spent that much money on a toy...but then I see the boat sitting next to her, and, well... yeah. I've spent alot of money on toys this year.

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very Nice!

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's very cool! A lot of times the replicas are better then the originals.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@veedubtek , I'd like to read more about it if you don't mind. Does it run/run well or do you need to fix it up. Will you be driving it regularly or will it be a garage queen?

Incidentally, in the same boat spend/justification wise. That is, paid off the boat late last year and bought a converible sports car in February of this year. I use the car very little but still more than my boat, so far anyway.

Some people will say these are expensive toys. I say they and I am worth every penny and more. Others may say you are having a midlife crisis. To that my response would be "crisis avoided on purchase date". Congrats again, hopefully admiring it doesn't take up too much of your free / boat upgrade time.

Last edited:

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well put @Ronnie !

Right now, she isn't running. 3500 miles on her (built in 2002 by Vintage Speedsters in Orange County), but she hasn't ran/moved for 4 years (stored in a garage under a car cover). I'm gonna work on basics this week sometime - pull/clean carbs, flush fuel/oil/brake fluid, adjust valves, points, etc.. and then see what happens. Don't even wanna try and start before that. Got the brakes freed up and surprisingly have a great pedal still. Likely will need shoes/pads before first drive just as I've seen them rot off the backing plates before while sitting. All in all, I don't think it's gonna take too much to get her road worthy again and hope to be driving her by the end of next week!

The only downfall at this point, is I just can't justify 2 fairweather cars. So, I'll likely end up having to sell my Thing if I decide to hang onto her. As of now, I'm towing the Thing to the bodyshop tomorrow to get the interior repainted, and I have almost $5,000 worth of new parts/seals/such to install afterwards. Wasn't planning on finding a 356A this winter when I was planning on all this! So, to answer your other question, she'll be driven fairly regularly. 2-3 days a week until the Thing is done, and I'm just not sure what's going to happen at that point. I didn't think any car could ever replace the Thing...now I'm questioning that. Not a bad problem to have I reckon.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hah! Far from it, sir. Married 20 years this year, with 2 teenagers. Just very fortunate with some good investments this year. That, and, we've never really done anything for ourselves in years past. We've been putting money away to do it big this year for 20, so that's really why we got the new truck, boat, all the mods, bimini, etc... We'll be paying for it for awhile, but we're gonna do this year right!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Pic from today. Still desparately needs detailed...

2222.jpg

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hah! Far from it, sir. Married 20 years this year, with 2 teenagers. Just very fortunate with some good investments this year. That, and, we've never really done anything for ourselves in years past. We've been putting money away to do it big this year for 20, so that's really why we got the new truck, boat, all the mods, bimini, etc... We'll be paying for it for awhile, but we're gonna do this year right!
That's awesome! I got ya all wrong. Enjoy and enjoy the big 20!!

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Details on the replica.....beetle chassis? fiberglass body? Looks awesome.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a beauty.
I was parked next to the real deal a few Sundays ago...the local coffee place has a small gathering of car guys in the morning. There were cars from all across the spectrum...T-Buckets, Woodies, a few Porches, some old Ferraris, it's a fun way to enjoy a cup 'o Joe while waiting for the sporting goods store to open.

Too bad we don't have some kind of Uber Trader - wherein you can swap cars with another conscientious owner for a week. Get to drive one of your dream cars without the expense of owning it.
Have a Bond requirement or something...I'd love to pull up to the house in a Hot Rod just to see the look on my wife's face! :cool:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats!

Did you play the Top Gun soundtrack the whole way home?

What kind of performance do you expect from her?

Can you swap a 914 engine in? Perhaps one of the 2 liter models? 912s have similar engines as well.

@Rana certainly approves of your choice.

dscf3723.jpg

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Details on the replica.....beetle chassis? fiberglass body? Looks awesome.

Yes and yes. Although, that's essentially the same chassis as it was originally, too.

Congrats!

Did you play the Top Gun soundtrack the whole way home?

What kind of performance do you expect from her?

Can you swap a 914 engine in? Perhaps one of the 2 liter models? 912s have similar engines as well.

@Rana certainly approves of your choice.

View attachment 21002
Nice! Right now she's a dual carbed 1600cc rated at around 70hp. Gonna see how well that goes once I get it running. I've already got a new case machined out for bigger pistons and stroker crank, and some big valve heads sitting on one of my work benches. So, she'll likely be sporting a 2110cc engine by this time next year. I could use the type 4 setup as you mention, but parts are harder to find and more $$$, plus the cooling system isn't compatible. Conversion kits are ridiculous.