• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Someone rained, no poured on my parade

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Definitely take PaulyB up on his offer to rent one for the afternoon. You'll get a boat that is operating correctly and you'll know what to expect.

I wouldn't worry about the handling, if you buy one you'll quickly become good at it as others have already stated.

the biggest factor will probably be the noise level. You can do some to mitigate it but it will be there and you have to be ok with it. I wish mine was quieter but I LOVE that I don't do any work on it except oil and plugs every year. Every time I go out to the boat whether it sits for 4 months or 4 days it cranks right up!

Knowing what type of boating and you budget would be a big help, if it's only you and your husband most of the time, do you normally cruise for long stretches, anchor and party, surf or wakeboard, tube with kids ?

About the only thing I would trade for would be a Yamaha outboard (being quieter).

Aqualissa

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
A long time ago we bought a small Sea Doo when the children were young to go tubing- I liked the swim platform and no props. When we moved near a lake we bought a pontoon for the social aspect- rafting up, floating and drinking etc. Now we want the best of both worlds- nice swimming and hanging out floating platform but some get up and go to tube and ski occasionally. It will be just 2 of us 70 percent of the time and a whole crew the other 30 percent. It will all be on lake water. I just love these boats. They have everything I'm looking for plus style! Which years have the two strokes and which years have the 4 stroke? I haven't paid attention to that..

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2005 up all have 4 strokes, certain 2004's have both,

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Sounds like
I joined this forum several weeks ago with typical questions from a perspective owner. I was impressed and overwhelmed by all the help I received! In my search I came across a boat that looked good. Spoke with the dealer who said that maintenance and a test drive had just been done by a mechanic and he sent me a copy of the invoice with details on what was done. He gave me the guys number so I could call and speak with him which I did. This mechanic said all he does is jet skis and boats. He sounded very knowlegable and when I asked how the boat performed he said" like all jet boats-" I then asked if he had done a compression test and he said " no" then he asked why I wanted to buy the boat and then began to tell me why I should NOT buy a jet boat. From maintenance issues which he said occur constantly, to poor handling, to paper thin hulls, and more, he ticked the reasons off one by one. I thanked him for his honesty and we hung up. He had no dog in the hunt. I believe he was trying to help me but now I just don't know what to do- he poured on my parade and I'm wet and just want to go home! Any thoughts?
Sounds like he just doesn't like Jet boats. I mean ask a Ford guy how bad Chevys are, or ask a Chevy guy how bad Fords are. And kinda expected that a guy that fixes and maintains Jet boats for a living sees a lot of Jet boats that need fixing and maintained. Doesn't mean its a problem across the board in the bigger picture. All I'm saying don't get down about one guy talking bad. I have years of experience in multiple I/O and O/B boats. Compared to I/O especially the jet boats are maintenance dream. First experience in a jet as far as handling is "what did I get myself into, these things are impossible to control". 1-2 months later you start saying "wow these boats are so maneuverable I can't believe how easy they are to control - way more maneuverable than my old boats". All that to say that they aren't harder to control, but they are very different to control. After you get used to it they are actually way more maneuverable than a prop boat IMO. I will have to concede on his statement about the hulls though if I'm honest, compared to my past boats these hulls are really thin. I haven't yet had any problems with it and haven't heard of anyone having any problems (outside of the gel coat seems to wear of easier from beaching than boats of years past from what I've seen - but I don't typically beach so doesn't affect me). Anyway, just a few words from a long time boater that made the switch and no regrets so far.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It’s sad but there are many people in the marine industry that feel this way heck lots of them don’t even consider these things boats they feel like they are toys or jet skis and look down on jet boats it’s almost like racism I hate to say it that way but some people will never change the way they think. I can tell you over my owner ship period of jet skis and jet boats compared to my ownership of I/O boats I have had fewer issues and easier maintenance since switching to a jet. I think mine handle significantly better then my old boats especially once you learn how to drive them I now have way more control then I ever did in an I/O the hulls yes I agree in a cost and weight savings effort Yamaha made them thinner then many in the boat industry but I wouldn’t say it’s unsafe or anything like that. I wouldn’t buy the boat that guy has been working on as it has obviously not changed his opinion about jet boats so that boat may have had many issues or it least get it checked out by someone else. Jet boats are not for everyone only you can decide if it’s for you. The only people I ever really see regret buying a jet boat sometimes are the people who buy them based on price as I find these people usually under buy on the boat they want or need if someone is buying for the features and benefits of s jet boat they are usually happy with their purchase.
Sounds like a guy who is just not a fan a jet skis / jet boats. If it’s what you want but are not sure what to buy I suggest you find a pwc shop or another jet boat shop in your area with good yelp reviews. Simply ask the service rep which brands and models are in most often for warranty/repair and maintenance work. If they seem trustworthy ask them for their perspectives on pros and cons.

You can get this information here as well but most of it won’t come from a jet boat mechanics point of view and it will probably favor jet boats.

when I was looking for a used set of skis I asked my pwc mechanic for his opinion, I’ve known him for almost 20 years and he wasn’t shy about making a brand (Yamaha) recommendation or showing me why he recommended waverunners over Seadoo pwcs. A shop full of them in for repairs v. A handful of Yamaha’s in for maintenance is a very compelling reason to go with Yamaha especially since the hourly shop rate was over $100 at the time.
We need to know what type of boat your looking at and how mechanically inclined you are, I would advise not buying a boat until you test drive it,

If you love to work on engines then nothing is wrong with a 2-stroke, if you don't mind doing some things yourself outside the engine a 4 stroke is a great option, if you don't ever want to get your hands dirty be ready to pay for some shop fees (but that's probably with any boat),
I'm on my 5th jet boat for a reason, many of which have already been mentioned. As someone already mentioned, they aren't for everyone as I/O's aren't for me. Lots of factors to consider, but I can say, I did have a buddy that had a 20ft I/O last year and after going on my boat, he got rid of it and bought a used SX230 and now says he'll never buy another type of boat. He's fresh to the transition and says it's an ABSOLUTE day and night difference in control, handling & maneuverability.

There is a "stigma" about jet boats and some people refuse to shake them. I'm seeing more and more Yamaha's each year and more and more I/O boaters asking questions and willingly understanding them. They generally say, "I had no idea!" There is a HUGE misconception with jet boats, or a simple lack of understanding, if you will to the general population. They still are relatively new versus I/O's that have been around for ever.

Sounds like the mechanic was listing every worn out cliche in the book... He may have a dog in the hunt, you just didn't see it!
Older two strokes are a real PITA but initial cost is cheap and the performance is great for the money when it is in good running order. I spent a lot of time keeping my two previous twin engine two stroke jet boats running in top shape including engine and carb rebuilds. The same was true for the two stroke skis. They were all considered disposable toys back in the day and certainly impacted today’s opinions as folks are spending lots of time trying to keep the older ones in good running order.

With my current fuel injected 4 stroke I have spent the same amount of time working on it but not on keeping it running. That time has been spent fixing minor issues and highly customizing it. I don’t care what the propulsion type is, 4 stroke fuel injection makes things far more reliable.

If I were to buy my ideal boat right now it would cost over 250k. The next best option was still over my budget. The Yamaha still checked almost all of the boxes with a mid grade score. I plan on keeping it for quite some time. When considering boats of the same age, length, type etc. the late model Yamahas represent a good value and don’t warrant the concerns of the past.

I the case of a used boat I would most certainly compression check the eninges before buying no matter what type. Was more important with the two strokes but still a good idea with 4 strokes. A water test is also certainly in order where the buyer does everything from visual inspection, turning on the batteries, starting, running, testing all the gadgets etc. It will be obvious if the owner has maintained the boat well from the little things. I would be more concerned about loose fasteners and poorly installed/maintained electrical than vinyl or gel coat condition.

Good luck finding the right boat for you.
We are about to buy a jet boat here in Sanibel Florida / Fort Myers ..... and have run into this anti jet boat stigma several times. One marina won’t dry dock them.... and a guy at a bar got angry because we wouldn’t listen to his expert advice and change our mind. (Of course he was supposedly a multimillionaire who walked away from his family money to be an assistant on a fishing charter so I guess I should have listened)
Sounds like

Sounds like he just doesn't like Jet boats. I mean ask a Ford guy how bad Chevys are, or ask a Chevy guy how bad Fords are. And kinda expected that a guy that fixes and maintains Jet boats for a living sees a lot of Jet boats that need fixing and maintained. Doesn't mean its a problem across the board in the bigger picture. All I'm saying don't get down about one guy talking bad. I have years of experience in multiple I/O and O/B boats. Compared to I/O especially the jet boats are maintenance dream. First experience in a jet as far as handling is "what did I get myself into, these things are impossible to control". 1-2 months later you start saying "wow these boats are so maneuverable I can't believe how easy they are to control - way more maneuverable than my old boats". All that to say that they aren't harder to control, but they are very different to control. After you get used to it they are actually way more maneuverable than a prop boat IMO. I will have to concede on his statement about the hulls though if I'm honest, compared to my past boats these hulls are really thin. I haven't yet had any problems with it and haven't heard of anyone having any problems (outside of the gel coat seems to wear of easier from beaching than boats of years past from what I've seen - but I don't typically beach so doesn't affect me). Anyway, just a few words from a long time boater that made the switch and no regrets so far.

I think the biggest prejudice is from four stroke jet boat owners towards the two stroke boats.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are about to buy a jet boat here in Sanibel Florida / Fort Myers ..... and have run into this anti jet boat stigma several times. One marina won’t dry dock them.... and a guy at a bar got angry because we wouldn’t listen to his expert advice and change our mind. (Of course he was supposedly a multimillionaire who walked away from his family money to be an assistant on a fishing charter so I guess I should have listened)
Everyone around here are about their center console's and believe that should be the only boat in the water. We love our yamaha and everytime we are out at the beach we always get someone that is surprised that it's a jet boat. Don't let those guys influence your choice. I have no problems running my ar240 anywhere in the gulf, pine island sound or up river. Don't get me wrong, if I was going to strictly fish I would own a cc boat. That said, I would not trade this all around boat for one.

Bajd98

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Everyone around here are about their center console's and believe that should be the only boat in the water. We love our yamaha and everytime we are out at the beach we always get someone that is surprised that it's a jet boat. Don't let those guys influence your choice. I have no problems running my ar240 anywhere in the gulf, pine island sound or up river. Don't get me wrong, if I was going to strictly fish I would own a cc boat. That said, I would not trade this all around boat for one.
Craig is not lying about the cult of the CC here in pine island sound area... when I say I am buying a jet boat I get looks like I have grown a third eye!!!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Whatever type of boat you decide on @Aqualissa you are welcome to hang here. We're not prop prejudice. Jump on with one of the members for a test drive though. Worst case scenario is you'll make a new friend.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had my AR190 down in Cape Coral at my In-laws over Christmas. It worked out as well there as it does for us at home in a freshwater lake. If we buy a summer home there then the Yamaha will just move and be on the water. As much as I like my In-laws 23' Pontoon, I like our 190. It does everything we need and maintenance is a snap.

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A long time ago we bought a small Sea Doo when the children were young to go tubing- I liked the swim platform and no props. When we moved near a lake we bought a pontoon for the social aspect- rafting up, floating and drinking etc. Now we want the best of both worlds- nice swimming and hanging out floating platform but some get up and go to tube and ski occasionally. It will be just 2 of us 70 percent of the time and a whole crew the other 30 percent. It will all be on lake water. I just love these boats. They have everything I'm looking for plus style! Which years have the two strokes and which years have the 4 stroke? I haven't paid attention to that..
We live on a small lake and wet slip in about 18" on a normal year (2' this year!). I had to put Troll N Tabs, trim tabs with trolling motors mounted to them, to get our old I/O in and out of our dock. The maintenance averaged $1500/year. We love our Yamaha, pay less than $200/year, and have friends that we raft up with for hours every weekend that wish they had bought our boat instead of their pontoons. Don't get discouraged by the mechanic; something is just not right with his assessment.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think the biggest prejudice is from four stroke jet boat owners towards the two stroke boats.
I don’t look down upon 2 stroke boats. I did own two of them. Facts are facts though and 2 strokes will require engine/carb rebuilds every 400 hours or far less in some cases. The hulls also changed significantly since then.

My 96 twin engine speedster was faaaast and fun. Full throttle 720 spins and limited space gets old through. I litterally threw myself out of the boat one time and my trunks got caught on the throttles. My bruised self was able to recover my ripped trunks from the throttles and put them back on in the water. My hip and part of a cheek were hanging out when I put it back on the trailer. Good thing I had the lanyard attached to my jacket and I was the only in the boat. You won’t get that kind of spin with the bigger late models.

I also took that thing down the coast for wine and cheese dates with my wife. The looks we got passing the yacht club on the way into the harbor in a 14 foot boat wearing bathing suits on a weekend afternoon were priceless. I should have had my pilots license for one of the return trips though. Water skiing was possible and something we did behind that thing. Also had a Challenger 1800 that I learned to wakeboard on after installing a tower. I loved both of those boats but hated the time it took to rebuild both eninges and all 4 carbs on both of them which I did myself. Slight carb tuning for ambient temperature was also required a couple times a year to keep the idle right. Never having to do an oil change is however a plus. I bought each of them for under 5k and sold each for more than I paid. All that said I never want to see another rotax 720, rotax 787, or mikuni carb.

So as one can figure my opinion of the older 2 strokes is well experienced. Cheap and fun but lots of work and space limited. I do miss those full throttle 720 spins every once and a while.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I don’t look down upon 2 stroke boats. I did own two of them. Facts are facts though and 2 strokes will require engine/carb rebuilds every 400 hours or far less in some cases. The hulls also changed significantly since then.

My 96 twin engine speedster was faaaast and fun. Full throttle 720 spins and limited space gets old through. I litterally threw myself out of the boat one time and my trunks got caught on the throttles. My bruised self was able to recover my ripped trunks from the throttles and put them back on in the water. My hip and part of a cheek were hanging out when I put it back on the trailer. Good thing I had the lanyard attached to my jacket and I was the only in the boat. You won’t get that kind of spin with the bigger late models.

I also took that thing down the coast for wine and cheese dates with my wife. The looks we got passing the yacht club on the way into the harbor in a 14 foot boat wearing bathing suits on a weekend afternoon were priceless. I should have had my pilots license for one of the return trips though. Water skiing was possible and something we did behind that thing. Also had a Challenger 1800 that I learned to wakeboard on after installing a tower. I loved both of those boats but hated the time it took to rebuild both eninges and all 4 carbs on both of them which I did myself. Slight carb tuning for ambient temperature was also required a couple times a year to keep the idle right. Never having to do an oil change is however a plus. I bought each of them for under 5k and sold each for more than I paid. All that said I never want to see another rotax 720, rotax 787, or mikuni carb.

So as one can figure my opinion of the older 2 strokes is well experienced. Cheap and fun but lots of work and space limited. I do miss those full throttle 720 spins every once and a while.
I didn’t realize you were talking about Seadoo two strokes. Yeah they suck.

I kid. I kid ;)

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I almost hit funny, but that hit too close to home.