• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Someone rained, no poured on my parade

Aqualissa

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
I joined this forum several weeks ago with typical questions from a perspective owner. I was impressed and overwhelmed by all the help I received! In my search I came across a boat that looked good. Spoke with the dealer who said that maintenance and a test drive had just been done by a mechanic and he sent me a copy of the invoice with details on what was done. He gave me the guys number so I could call and speak with him which I did. This mechanic said all he does is jet skis and boats. He sounded very knowlegable and when I asked how the boat performed he said" like all jet boats-" I then asked if he had done a compression test and he said " no" then he asked why I wanted to buy the boat and then began to tell me why I should NOT buy a jet boat. From maintenance issues which he said occur constantly, to poor handling, to paper thin hulls, and more, he ticked the reasons off one by one. I thanked him for his honesty and we hung up. He had no dog in the hunt. I believe he was trying to help me but now I just don't know what to do- he poured on my parade and I'm wet and just want to go home! Any thoughts?

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I joined this forum several weeks ago with typical questions from a perspective owner. I was impressed and overwhelmed by all the help I received! In my search I came across a boat that looked good. Spoke with the dealer who said that maintenance and a test drive had just been done by a mechanic and he sent me a copy of the invoice with details on what was done. He gave me the guys number so I could call and speak with him which I did. This mechanic said all he does is jet skis and boats. He sounded very knowlegable and when I asked how the boat performed he said" like all jet boats-" I then asked if he had done a compression test and he said " no" then he asked why I wanted to buy the boat and then began to tell me why I should NOT buy a jet boat. From maintenance issues which he said occur constantly, to poor handling, to paper thin hulls, and more, he ticked the reasons off one by one. I thanked him for his honesty and we hung up. He had no dog in the hunt. I believe he was trying to help me but now I just don't know what to do- he poured on my parade and I'm wet and just want to go home! Any thoughts?
Sounds like either he wanted to buy it for himself or is trying to hold it for someone he knows. If you want professional, knowledgable opinions on jet boats this is the place to be.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s sad but there are many people in the marine industry that feel this way heck lots of them don’t even consider these things boats they feel like they are toys or jet skis and look down on jet boats it’s almost like racism I hate to say it that way but some people will never change the way they think. I can tell you over my owner ship period of jet skis and jet boats compared to my ownership of I/O boats I have had fewer issues and easier maintenance since switching to a jet. I think mine handle significantly better then my old boats especially once you learn how to drive them I now have way more control then I ever did in an I/O the hulls yes I agree in a cost and weight savings effort Yamaha made them thinner then many in the boat industry but I wouldn’t say it’s unsafe or anything like that. I wouldn’t buy the boat that guy has been working on as it has obviously not changed his opinion about jet boats so that boat may have had many issues or it least get it checked out by someone else. Jet boats are not for everyone only you can decide if it’s for you. The only people I ever really see regret buying a jet boat sometimes are the people who buy them based on price as I find these people usually under buy on the boat they want or need if someone is buying for the features and benefits of s jet boat they are usually happy with their purchase.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Post your location in the member map. . Most often local members will give u a ride and or show u first hand stuff. I agree with @Wayloncle... Sounfs like this guy was truing to scare u away from this boat for personal reasons.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The only people I ever really see regret buying a jet boat sometimes are the people who buy them based on price as I find these people usually under buy on the boat they want or need if someone is buying for the features and benefits of s jet boat they are usually happy with their purchase.
I agree totally. My first boat purchase was based on the cheapest boat I could find that checked the most boxes of what I wanted. And it was a huge let down. After snooping around without posting on this forum for a while I decided to try again and I purchased based on what we needed and wanted and said to hell with price. And I for one couldn't be happier, and after a few trips out in the more comfortable bow seats, the wife has totally forgotten how much I spent. :D

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm on the fence. I bought the jet for shallow water and the bad ass layout. My buddy just bought a sbc 350 IO. Goes 60mph and probably user less gas. Less than 10k with a brand new engine, heads, cams, etc. Its probably the most common setup for boats in the 18 to 24' range, for good reason. There is no doubt that outboards and IOs handle better. The trim is a huge win for those. If you're not in shallow water, or in love with the Yamaha layout, get an outboard or io. It really depends on your goals. Family watersports is a big win for Yamaha. Going fast is not. Rough water is not. Weeds are not.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
What kind of boat were you looking at? Was it a 1997 Speedster that you have in your profile? Keep in mind that's a 20-year old boat.
If that's all he works on then of course he will see a bunch of them come through his shop.
He may even get the impression they aren't reliable if all he sees are broken-down ones. I don't know...
A boat that age is best maintained by its owner. Mechanics aren't always diligent. Even if you find a good one it can get expensive quickly. Labor rate at my dealer is $127/hour.

Did the mechanic give you any advice as to what boat, specifically, you should buy?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sounds like a guy who is just not a fan a jet skis / jet boats. If it’s what you want but are not sure what to buy I suggest you find a pwc shop or another jet boat shop in your area with good yelp reviews. Simply ask the service rep which brands and models are in most often for warranty/repair and maintenance work. If they seem trustworthy ask them for their perspectives on pros and cons.

You can get this information here as well but most of it won’t come from a jet boat mechanics point of view and it will probably favor jet boats.

when I was looking for a used set of skis I asked my pwc mechanic for his opinion, I’ve known him for almost 20 years and he wasn’t shy about making a brand (Yamaha) recommendation or showing me why he recommended waverunners over Seadoo pwcs. A shop full of them in for repairs v. A handful of Yamaha’s in for maintenance is a very compelling reason to go with Yamaha especially since the hourly shop rate was over $100 at the time.

Aqualissa

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
I just posted my location- thanks Bronze!
I had done hours and hours of research on several boats before I got to the Yamaha- and I have done hours and hours looking for a good used one based on what I've learned here. This just really threw me. I thought there was less to go wrong with a jetboat engine than an i/o and that it would cost less to maintain or fix...but now he's made me question that ... I can only compare an i/o to an outboard . The i/o was the biggest money pit ever!

Aqualissa

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
mdchachi- yes he wanted me to look for a pontoon with a Yamaha outboard- we already have that exact boat! Part of the reason I was looking at Yamahas is because that outboard has been a dream to own.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just posted my location- thanks Bronze!
I had done hours and hours of research on several boats before I got to the Yamaha- and I have done hours and hours looking for a good used one based on what I've learned here. This just really threw me. I thought there was less to go wrong with a jetboat engine than an i/o and that it would cost less to maintain or fix...but now he's made me question that ... I can only compare an i/o to an outboard . The i/o was the biggest money pit ever!
Had an I/O would never go back...pita! OB is the only other boat I'd buy! Drive all the boats you are interested in and make an informed decision. Jet boats aren't for everyone. The older and smaller ones are not good in the ocean....the newer ones do fine. Weeds are not a good mix with jetboats. I love the safety factor, the open stern which is an inviting place to hang out and the layout in general. Maintenance is a breeze, no transmission to worry about!!!! Handling does take some time to learn.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You are not that far from falls lake in nc... We are having a get together in a few weeks. Several different years and styles of jet boats and their owners will be in the same spot. May not be a bad idea for a day trip. !!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We need to know what type of boat your looking at and how mechanically inclined you are, I would advise not buying a boat until you test drive it,

If you love to work on engines then nothing is wrong with a 2-stroke, if you don't mind doing some things yourself outside the engine a 4 stroke is a great option, if you don't ever want to get your hands dirty be ready to pay for some shop fees (but that's probably with any boat),

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I live in Northern VA and have a two 23 foot yamaha jet boats I use on Lake Anna and the James River. If you ever want to test one out, I have one that you can rent for the day and see what you think.

If you were to buy one where do you plan on using the boat? What do you plan on using it for? In my opinion, $ per foot, a Yamaha Jet Boat is the best deal out there. Maybe not the newer ones that cost $70K+, but an 07-09 23 foot Yamaha seems to be the most proven boat, dollar per foot.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm on my 5th jet boat for a reason, many of which have already been mentioned. As someone already mentioned, they aren't for everyone as I/O's aren't for me. Lots of factors to consider, but I can say, I did have a buddy that had a 20ft I/O last year and after going on my boat, he got rid of it and bought a used SX230 and now says he'll never buy another type of boat. He's fresh to the transition and says it's an ABSOLUTE day and night difference in control, handling & maneuverability.

There is a "stigma" about jet boats and some people refuse to shake them. I'm seeing more and more Yamaha's each year and more and more I/O boaters asking questions and willingly understanding them. They generally say, "I had no idea!" There is a HUGE misconception with jet boats, or a simple lack of understanding, if you will to the general population. They still are relatively new versus I/O's that have been around for ever.

Sounds like the mechanic was listing every worn out cliche in the book... He may have a dog in the hunt, you just didn't see it!

Aqualissa

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
Scott, I am fairly mechanically inclined as is my husband, especially if there are tutorials and instructions! I am looking at 2007-2010 212 or 230. Pauly renting one for the day is the perfect idea! I will message you when I get another break today!
And the more ya'll mention it, the more I think you might be right about him steering me away to save this boat for someone else

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My wife and i switched from a i/o to a jet four years ago and we’ve put about 350 hours on our 212x. We surf as much as we can in the Pacific Northwest....start in april and end in oct. We (uh...I) do a oil change every year ourselves and that’s it. We might spend a bit more on adding to our surfboard quiver tho :). If you’re looking for a great do a bit of everything boat....theses are amazing. If you are looking to surf exclusively....i would look at a surf specific boat.

I do think these are amazing around the docks once you get used to them. You can stop and spin them on a dime with a little practice.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Older two strokes are a real PITA but initial cost is cheap and the performance is great for the money when it is in good running order. I spent a lot of time keeping my two previous twin engine two stroke jet boats running in top shape including engine and carb rebuilds. The same was true for the two stroke skis. They were all considered disposable toys back in the day and certainly impacted today’s opinions as folks are spending lots of time trying to keep the older ones in good running order.

With my current fuel injected 4 stroke I have spent the same amount of time working on it but not on keeping it running. That time has been spent fixing minor issues and highly customizing it. I don’t care what the propulsion type is, 4 stroke fuel injection makes things far more reliable.

If I were to buy my ideal boat right now it would cost over 250k. The next best option was still over my budget. The Yamaha still checked almost all of the boxes with a mid grade score. I plan on keeping it for quite some time. When considering boats of the same age, length, type etc. the late model Yamahas represent a good value and don’t warrant the concerns of the past.

I the case of a used boat I would most certainly compression check the eninges before buying no matter what type. Was more important with the two strokes but still a good idea with 4 strokes. A water test is also certainly in order where the buyer does everything from visual inspection, turning on the batteries, starting, running, testing all the gadgets etc. It will be obvious if the owner has maintained the boat well from the little things. I would be more concerned about loose fasteners and poorly installed/maintained electrical than vinyl or gel coat condition.

Good luck finding the right boat for you.

Bajd98

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We are about to buy a jet boat here in Sanibel Florida / Fort Myers ..... and have run into this anti jet boat stigma several times. One marina won’t dry dock them.... and a guy at a bar got angry because we wouldn’t listen to his expert advice and change our mind. (Of course he was supposedly a multimillionaire who walked away from his family money to be an assistant on a fishing charter so I guess I should have listened)

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
From maintenance and complexity, the I/O is the worst of all worlds. Long ago it was the only way to get a cheap, quiet 4 stroke engine on a boat. Not anymore.

With the new 4 stroke outboards, I/Os have lost their advantages in my opinion. Too many moving parts and a lot of complexity.

Decide between outboard or inboard. No I/Os !!!

Why do you want to get away from the toon? If we know what you want we can better assist.

My sx230 had served me very well for the last 3 seasons I have owned it. No complaints. So for my sample size of 1, perfect score.