• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sometimes you win...$1500 4Runner

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hey guys,

Sometimes you just stumble into one, and I wanted to share with ya'll. It's a little bit of a read and picture heavy, but it's worth explaining.

My neighbors on my street had a 2003 Toyota 4Runner, it was the wife's car. It's an SR5 model with 4wd and the V8 with 203,000 miles. I'm out doing some stuff in the yard one day and I see a tow truck pull up with it on the flatbed and drop it off in his yard. Later I ask him about it and he said it broke down on his wife and she had it towed to a mechanic.

Mechanic told her it needed a new transfer case and front driveshaft (he couldn't remember what else they said it needed) and they could fix it for about $4k or they would give her $700 for it. It was still at the mechanic and he wanted to know what I thought; now I'm not a know everything car guy at all. I do my oil changes, I can do brakes, and I even changed out all the suspension components on our Pilot this year but my knowledge is based on Youtube and a little hands on now and then.

However, I told him I didn't think it was the transfer case, and if it was, you should still be able to drive the vehicle. What I didn't know at the time until I started researching for him was that the V8 model was full time 4wd, so if the transfer case was bad it actually might not be driveable. A few weeks went by, then a month. I asked him again and he said they were trying to decide what to do, and they might just sell it. I told him if he sold it to let me know and I'd be interested, or if he wanted to try and fix it I could help him get it up and going.

A few more weeks go by and he tells me they are going to sell it. His wife wants a new Tacoma, and just doesn't want to mess with the 4runner at this point. I told him to let me know what she wanted for it and if it made sense, I'd consider buying it. A week later he sends me a text and says she wants $1500 for it. I told him I thought they could get that even if it didn't have an engine, for parts alone, and he said she just wanted to get $1500 out of it. I told him I'd take it, don't even bother listing it.

The next week they cleaned it out and handed me the title for $1500 cash. It was still in his yard at this point, and I told him I'd move it asap. The next week I went over to start checking it out. It started up and ran fine but when I'd put it into gear it never felt like it engaged, but I heard a whirring sound under the vehicle. Looking underneath I saw the front driveshaft broken at the U-joint, just laying on crossmember. I got back in the vehicle, reached over, and pushed the VSC button that controls traction control and the locking differential. Instantly I felt the transmission engage, and I gently pressed the gas pedal...the 4runner moved forward.

I slowly backed the truck up, then turned it around and down the street to my house. The drive shaft clunked with each rotation, but I got it home. The next morning I jacked it up and went to work removing the front drive shaft. Once removed, I hopped in and drove it down the street. Smooth as butter as a RWD only. Total invested in the fix so far...zero dollars.

So at this point I have $1500 into a 200k mile 4Runner. Are you kidding?!? Now, it needs a lot of love. I need two new rear tires, one isn't holding air and they are bald. The front windshield is completely cracked up. It needs new headlamp assemblies (super cloudy and broken brackets), new hood struts, and there are little things all over the place of course. I'm going to do spark plugs, oil change, etc. The biggest thing is I need to do a timing belt (the V6 has a chain, V8 has a belt), and I'll need to pay someone to do that.

But I figure all that I'm under $3500 total, and that includes the purchase price. I think it will make a great run around vehicle, something I can take up to the hunting property and with a 7k towing capacity, I can haul the boat with it when we vacation and not put the wear on our Touareg. Sometimes you just stumble into one!

(by the way, if my daughter's face looks funny in the photo it's because I blur them a bit)

20210524_172422.jpg

20210524_172435.jpg

20210524_172447.jpg

20210524_172342.jpg

20210520_184019.jpg

20210520_184006.jpg

20210520_183914.jpg

20210520_184348.jpg

20210524_104632.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Tjw961

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good find for sure! Lots of parts for those older 4runners, and you could get running, drive it for a few years, and probably sell if for what you put into it afterwards if you take care of it. I used to pick up cars needing engines, transmissions and such and put the back on the road and do just that. Made some pretty good money at it as just a side gig too. Put all 4 of my kids in cars with stick shift as their first car and have been fortunate at not being "taken" for any that I did that way. Happy for you! No feeling like driving a car that paid for, safe, and keeping it going as long as you aren't under it each evening to drive it the next day type of thing! Congrats!

johhnyboat

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
sounds like a great deal. You didn't say if you are going to fit the front drive shaft, but if you are not I would be concerned that the towing capacity is no longer 7,000 pounds.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
nice find. Looks in great shape.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congrats on the nice find. I often show interest in deals to good to be true on Craigslist with the mentality that if just one works out it make up for all the ones that turn out to be scams. I was able to purchase two Kawasaki jet skis and a trailer for $2k almost two decades ago when the average asking price for the same set up was around $5k.

I also had a bad transfer case issue in the Chevy avalanche I had, like you I was surprised to find that the transfer case was always live even when in RWD only. Unlike you it wasn’t just a broken drive shaft so the repair/replacement cost was around $2k

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
sounds like a great deal. You didn't say if you are going to fit the front drive shaft, but if you are not I would be concerned that the towing capacity is no longer 7,000 pounds.
ah yeah. I have a new front driveshaft...around $370. Just have to bolt it up.

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Congrats on the nice find. I often show interest in deals to good to be true on Craigslist with the mentality that if just one works out it make up for all the ones that turn out to be scams. I was able to purchase two Kawasaki jet skis and a trailer for $2k almost two decades ago when the average asking price for the same set up was around $5k.

I also had a bad transfer case issue in the Chevy avalanche I had, like you I was surprised to find that the transfer case was always live even when in RWD only. Unlike you it wasn’t just a broken drive shaft so the repair/replacement cost was around $2k
yeah, a transfer case for this is about a grand with some miles on it. I'm not sure what they are new.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I saw this at the bicycle shop after work. When I asked if the bolts holding the shaft in place broke as he pulled into the lot, the owner said no, the transmission failed so it sitting in place until he gets the transmission back from the shop. Much worse than a bad shaft or transfer case.

I’m curious did the shop the previous owner took it to say that the drive shaft was broken or just that the transfer case was shot? I ask because I’ve spoken with bad service departments before, basically they diagnose by process of elimination and at the expense of their customers.

Attachments

svana

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome. I've got an 03 Limited with 280k+ miles. Modded it out over the years, but thing's a tank. I plan on driving it till the wheels fall off. Then I'll just put new ones on. I've done 98% of the work myself on mine, if you've got questions I'm happy to help. The 2UZ-FE is a bulletproof engine. If you've got the patience (and gumption) you can do the timing belt yourself - it's just invasive, not complex. Also, I think it's a safe bet that if the PO never engaged the transfer case into 4LO the things probably well seized. While primarily great for off-roading, the extra torque can probably also come in handy at the boat ramp albeit not 100% necessary. I say probably only because I've never actually had to take my boat to a ramp yet to confirm.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys,

Sometimes you just stumble into one, and I wanted to share with ya'll. It's a little bit of a read and picture heavy, but it's worth explaining.

My neighbors on my street had a 2003 Toyota 4Runner, it was the wife's car. It's an SR5 model with 4wd and the V8 with 203,000 miles. I'm out doing some stuff in the yard one day and I see a tow truck pull up with it on the flatbed and drop it off in his yard. Later I ask him about it and he said it broke down on his wife and she had it towed to a mechanic.

Mechanic told her it needed a new transfer case and front driveshaft (he couldn't remember what else they said it needed) and they could fix it for about $4k or they would give her $700 for it. It was still at the mechanic and he wanted to know what I thought; now I'm not a know everything car guy at all. I do my oil changes, I can do brakes, and I even changed out all the suspension components on our Pilot this year but my knowledge is based on Youtube and a little hands on now and then.

However, I told him I didn't think it was the transfer case, and if it was, you should still be able to drive the vehicle. What I didn't know at the time until I started researching for him was that the V8 model was full time 4wd, so if the transfer case was bad it actually might not be driveable. A few weeks went by, then a month. I asked him again and he said they were trying to decide what to do, and they might just sell it. I told him if he sold it to let me know and I'd be interested, or if he wanted to try and fix it I could help him get it up and going.

A few more weeks go by and he tells me they are going to sell it. His wife wants a new Tacoma, and just doesn't want to mess with the 4runner at this point. I told him to let me know what she wanted for it and if it made sense, I'd consider buying it. A week later he sends me a text and says she wants $1500 for it. I told him I thought they could get that even if it didn't have an engine, for parts alone, and he said she just wanted to get $1500 out of it. I told him I'd take it, don't even bother listing it.

The next week they cleaned it out and handed me the title for $1500 cash. It was still in his yard at this point, and I told him I'd move it asap. The next week I went over to start checking it out. It started up and ran fine but when I'd put it into gear it never felt like it engaged, but I heard a whirring sound under the vehicle. Looking underneath I saw the front driveshaft broken at the U-joint, just laying on crossmember. I got back in the vehicle, reached over, and pushed the VSC button that controls traction control and the locking differential. Instantly I felt the transmission engage, and I gently pressed the gas pedal...the 4runner moved forward.

I slowly backed the truck up, then turned it around and down the street to my house. The drive shaft clunked with each rotation, but I got it home. The next morning I jacked it up and went to work removing the front drive shaft. Once removed, I hopped in and drove it down the street. Smooth as butter as a RWD only. Total invested in the fix so far...zero dollars.

So at this point I have $1500 into a 200k mile 4Runner. Are you kidding?!? Now, it needs a lot of love. I need two new rear tires, one isn't holding air and they are bald. The front windshield is completely cracked up. It needs new headlamp assemblies (super cloudy and broken brackets), new hood struts, and there are little things all over the place of course. I'm going to do spark plugs, oil change, etc. The biggest thing is I need to do a timing belt (the V6 has a chain, V8 has a belt), and I'll need to pay someone to do that.

But I figure all that I'm under $3500 total, and that includes the purchase price. I think it will make a great run around vehicle, something I can take up to the hunting property and with a 7k towing capacity, I can haul the boat with it when we vacation and not put the wear on our Touareg. Sometimes you just stumble into one!

(by the way, if my daughter's face looks funny in the photo it's because I blur them a bit)

View attachment 151281

View attachment 151282

View attachment 151283

View attachment 151284

View attachment 151286

View attachment 151287

View attachment 151288

View attachment 151289

View attachment 151290
I have a set of takeoffs from a tundra with good tires for 300 if local20210524_092851.jpg

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I saw this at the bicycle shop after work. When I asked if the bolts holding the shaft in place broke as he pulled into the lot, the owner said no, the transmission failed so it sitting in place until he gets the transmission back from the shop. Much worse than a bad shaft or transfer case.

I’m curious did the shop the previous owner took it to say that the drive shaft was broken or just that the transfer case was shot? I ask because I’ve spoken with bad service departments before, basically they diagnose by process of elimination and at the expense of their customers.
Previous owner was told it needed a new t-fer case and driveshaft, north of $4k to repair. As far as I can tell the transfer case is good, just needs a new driveshaft as the old one snapped at the U-joint.