• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sound dampening SEM

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

jvegas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
following

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not sure any mass dampening is going to do much of anything on top of fiberglass.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like a rubberized undercoating to me.

There used to be some liquid sound deadened that you painted on. I tried them on an old car of mine, and while it did work decent at stiffening the panel, it was MESSY. It was also smurf blue and if you got it anywhere you weren't intending, it was obvious and made a mess.

I think a product like that would work pretty well in this application. The fiberglass panels seem to reverberate with the frequency of the engines, bringing their resonant frequency down would quiet the boat down a good bit in theory.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The fiberglass panels seem to reverberate with the frequency of the engines, bringing their resonant frequency down would quiet the boat down a good bit in theory.
This is correct. Unfortunately MLV type soundproofing does not seem to work well on fiberglass (or even FRP like Yamaha new hulls). (just what @Jgorm said!)
It must be the ratios of fiberglass (mass) vs the sheath metal in cars? IDK.
But having invested time/labor/$$$ in some 200lbs of DYnamat Extreme in my old (2012) SX190, I would not recommend going that route. It helps but the effects are marginal compared to price and effort, a MUCH more efficient way is to fill the voids. For example, polyurethane foam works great, even scraps of closed cell foam or old ballast bags filled with air - stuffed up the gunnels - work much much better.

The easiest and best/least expensive/least labor intense sound proofing mod, which should be done as number one no doubt - is the engine hatch seal!

--