• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Gas fumes in cabin

I was thinking about this the other day. I have the Yamaha mooring cover, which covers the vent. That is kinda dumb. Logistics might be a b*, but that probably should have a hole or screen there.

I have the Yamaha cover as well… it’s a bit of six in one, half dozen the other… probably just a one time event. It’s experience I suppose, you want to get the tank full so, at least I try and make sure its full up. I look at the fuel gauge and that gives me within one gallon how much fuel needs to go into the tank.

My boat has the charcoal filter / canister so the tank can vent either way. However, if you overfill the tank too much that canister will fill up with fuel and create other problems, possibly a vacuum lock. We do the best we can and share our experiences here and get it figured out.

I think we have this nailed down to a full tank for sure.

Yes, we are in MN, and yes the pump handles are always cold, as the fuel is stored underground. And I normally burn at least 5-10 gallons the first weekend, but not in this case. So yes, expansion had to happen, and that was my issues.

No I don't have the charcoal filter, as I believe that is only on CA boats, but I could be wrong. I have not opened the gas cap, as I am guessing it was full to the top. It's just time to get this sucker aired out and burning some fuel before our 90 degree days are supposed to hit this weekend!

Thanks everyone.

I think we have this nailed down to a full tank for sure.

Yes, we are in MN, and yes the pump handles are always cold, as the fuel is stored underground. And I normally burn at least 5-10 gallons the first weekend, but not in this case. So yes, expansion had to happen, and that was my issues.

No I don't have the charcoal filter, as I believe that is only on CA boats, but I could be wrong. I have not opened the gas cap, as I am guessing it was full to the top. It's just time to get this sucker aired out and burning some fuel before our 90 degree days are supposed to hit this weekend!

Thanks everyone.

Bought my boat in Red Wing MN…. As of 2021 the 210 FSH is not allowed to be sold in the PRK ( peoples republik of kaleefornia) due to new emissions laws that went into affect there.

I hope that it is all sorted out and this incident becomes an experience to draw on in the future!

I hope that it is all sorted out and this incident becomes an experience to draw on in the future!

Oh yea, this is a very rare occurrence to fill and not run it right away. It's almost like I was hoarding fuel before the gas hike. And then it never happened. HA!

I was thinking about this the other day. I have the Yamaha mooring cover, which covers the vent. That is kinda dumb. Logistics might be a b*, but that probably should have a hole or screen there.
Fumes can easily vent out - the cover is not remotely airtight. You should not have any issues with "breathing" through the mooring cover.

Oh yea, this is a very rare occurrence to fill and not run it right away. It's almost like I was hoarding fuel before the gas hike. And then it never happened. HA!
Boats are not like cars even though they have fuel injected engines. Cars typically have pressurized fuel systems so topping up is not much of an issue with expansion, and you tend to drive your car immediately after filling to reduce expansion pressures. But our boats do not have pressurized systems so fuel can expand and leak out. Says right in the manual to not top up - just fill till the handle kicks off and you're good to go.
:D

Hi there- asking a related question on this old thread. I have had consistent gas smell like an open gas can in my boat, particularly anytime it’s hot out. For example, first thing in the morning I don’t smell it, late afternoon it’s quite strong. Tank is now down to 15% by the guage and I’m still getting that smell when it’s on the driveway. I can’t rule out overfilling in the past, I could have done that. I’m used to a little smell after filling, but not when pretty low.

It seems to be all from the vent. The smell is not present at all in the engine compartment or the port storage where the fuel lines come through. I’m going to pop off the floor cover to see if anything is amiss there.

Should I be concerned about a very noticeable smell of gas from the vent in hot weather even when the tank under 1/4 full? If so, would appreciate advice on what to check.

Thank you!

Hi there- asking a related question on this old thread. I have had consistent gas smell like an open gas can in my boat, particularly anytime it’s hot out. For example, first thing in the morning I don’t smell it, late afternoon it’s quite strong. Tank is now down to 15% by the guage and I’m still getting that smell when it’s on the driveway. I can’t rule out overfilling in the past, I could have done that. I’m used to a little smell after filling, but not when pretty low.

It seems to be all from the vent. The smell is not present at all in the engine compartment or the port storage where the fuel lines come through. I’m going to pop off the floor cover to see if anything is amiss there.

Should I be concerned about a very noticeable smell of gas from the vent in hot weather even when the tank under 1/4 full? If so, would appreciate advice on what to check.

Thank you!

Sounds like your carbon canister is full of gas. Remove the canister and check to see if it has liquid gas in it, I’m betting you will find it full of gas.

Gas vapors / smell to the extent you mention should be taken care of.

Removed the canister. No liquid, can blow air through it easily, but it absolutely reeks of gas. Maybe it was once saturated and it’s since drained out. I ordered a replacement. Part is attwood 99cc045 which is also known as the 70 gallon kit. Thanks for the lead @FSH 210 Sport

Removed the canister. No liquid, can blow air through it easily, but it absolutely reeks of gas. Maybe it was once saturated and it’s since drained out. I ordered a replacement. Part is attwood 99cc045 which is also known as the 70 gallon kit. Thanks for the lead @FSH 210 Sport

Glad to help out!

Back