• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sound System Upgrade - Input Appreciated

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey Everyone - I'm planning out an upgrade on the sound system (Admiral indicated it would be nice to have speakers at the swim platform - who am I to say no...) which will likely follow similarly to the other builds. While I've looked at the various write-ups here and put my shopping list together, there are a few decisions that I'm still TBD on and would welcome input from folks.

The bulk of the system will comprise of:
Speakers: 6 or 8 - JL Audio M3-650 (or MX-650, TBD)
Subwoofer: JL Audio M6 10"
Amps: 2 - Kenwood KAC-M3004 (LINK)
Head Unit: Fusion MS-UD755 (LINK)
Swim Deck Remote: Fusion MS-NRX300 (LINK)

Layout:
IMG_1126.jpg
Green: OEM locations
Red: Added swim platform
Blue: Potential sub placement
Yellow: Potential speaker placement

My questions:
With two 4 channel amps, the most logical setup would either be 6 speakers on individual channels and 1 amp on 2 bridged channels or 8 speakers on their own channels with no sub. Would one be preferred over the other?
If I go with the sub right behind the captains seat (as many have done) without adding speakers in the yellow locations, will that overpower any chance of hearing anything but the lows?
Is there a better head unit out there that fits in the existing 1 DIN slot? I like the Fusion's 4 zones and color screen, but it being both a larger size yet still too small to fit my phone in the slot is dumb lol.

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Research your specific boat if you intend to use any of the existing wiring. You will need to know how your existing speakers are wired (series, parallel, or neither) to existing amp/head unit.

If you’re running all new wiring, no concern in this regard.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Research your specific boat if you intend to use any of the existing wiring. You will need to know how your existing speakers are wired (series, parallel, or neither) to existing amp/head unit.

If you’re running all new wiring, no concern in this regard.
Yep I’ll be upgrading all of the wiring. It’s just the schematics that I’m debating on.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Layout:
View attachment 142329

My questions:
With two 4 channel amps, the most logical setup would either be 6 speakers on individual channels and 1 amp on 2 bridged channels or 8 speakers on their own channels with no sub. Would one be preferred over the other?
As for sub/no sub that's very subjective and depends on your personal tastes. Personally I like my music loud and clean without using subs as they can be muddy in cars and boats, and too loud in one seat and too quiet in another. I reserve subs for my home theater where it's a controlled seating area and tuned for the environment and sound field. But that's just me.

I currently have the 6 stock Polk speakers and am adding two more in the spring to fill in the helm/passenger location (yellow on your pic) for better sound while cruising.
Is there a better head unit out there that fits in the existing 1 DIN slot? I like the Fusion's 4 zones and color screen, but it being both a larger size yet still too small to fit my phone in the slot is dumb lol.
If your phone doesn't fit, why not just get the RA70 series or other similar model? I find I hardly ever look at the screen, just the volume knob, so I don't care if it's colour or not.
:D

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If your phone doesn't fit, why not just get the RA70 series or other similar model? I find I hardly ever look at the screen, just the volume knob, so I don't care if it's colour or not.
:D
Thanks, I might lean that way if for no other reason than to not add another speaker back that can get damaged from stuff under that seat. And the reason I scratched the RS70 off the list is cuz it’s only got 2 zones. Didn’t think I’d need more, but wife likes to lay out in the bow and has often complained that the speakers are too loud right next to her head vs in the tub being ok and needing more volume in the swim platform.

TX Drift Away

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A little advice, please. I have a 2019 AR240 all-stock sound system. Fusion unit(MS-RA70NSX) on the swim deck. I would like to add the AMP in the battery area which I have seen some folks do. I would also like to add swim deck speakers 8 inch, Going to replace the mid speakers and box speakers. Plan on running all-new speaker wire. Will an 8" speaker fit on swim deck without cutting backrest or should I just use a 6"? Do I run RCA to the stern unit or the Connect unit? I also saw someone talking about the RCS cables being cut, will I need to order the replacement jumper?

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
lots of threads about this on this site..
i've seen 6.5" swim platform speakers without cushion mod...can't remember seeing any 8"...(maybe add 8" tower speakers instead??)
rca's from amp to stern head unit.
pull the head unit (stern) and check for rca connectors and the blue remote wire....it seems like most of the harnesses are cut, so prob need the rca harness and the power harness (for amp remote wire).

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey Everyone - I'm planning out an upgrade on the sound system (Admiral indicated it would be nice to have speakers at the swim platform - who am I to say no...) which will likely follow similarly to the other builds. While I've looked at the various write-ups here and put my shopping list together, there are a few decisions that I'm still TBD on and would welcome input from folks.

The bulk of the system will comprise of:
Speakers: 6 or 8 - JL Audio M3-650 (or MX-650, TBD)
Subwoofer: JL Audio M6 10"
Amps: 2 - Kenwood KAC-M3004 (LINK)
Head Unit: Fusion MS-UD755 (LINK)
Swim Deck Remote: Fusion MS-NRX300 (LINK)

Layout:
View attachment 142329

My questions:
With two 4 channel amps, the most logical setup would either be 6 speakers on individual channels and 1 amp on 2 bridged channels or 8 speakers on their own channels with no sub. Would one be preferred over the other? I use the 800/8 JL and bridge two channels to drive the sub. What you could do is utilize the HU amp to drive the two channels in the bow. Get a harbor freight hole saw and you can cut in the 6.5 JLs on the swim-deck without modifying the cushions.
If I go with the sub right behind the captains seat (as many have done) without adding speakers in the yellow locations, will that overpower any chance of hearing anything but the lows? I find that the yellow locations are critical for the captain to hear, especially at speed. Definitely put the sub behind the captain's chair. It doesn't overpower if you balance the system correctly, the lows just 'fill' in. If you jack up the sub volume it can get boomy, the idea is you want it to compliment and round out the sound of the 6.5's in the tub.
Is there a better head unit out there that fits in the existing 1 DIN slot? I like the Fusion's 4 zones and color screen, but it being both a larger size yet still too small to fit my phone in the slot is dumb lol. See if you can get the DIN adapter from jet boat pilot. You can remove the dumb flip down shield and have un-encumbered access to the Fusion unit. When / if my UD750 dies one day, I'm going to go with one without the flip down and store the phone capability. Stuffing the phone in the slot has put my iPhone into an overheat situation. It's a great concept, but falls a bit short in practice.

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
also, prob not necessary to run new wire to each speaker....can just cut at head unit and splice/run extensions to amp.
i don't think the AR's have any speakers connected (run in parallel or series)...just a 'home run' to each speaker.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
also, prob not necessary to run new wire to each speaker....can just cut at head unit and splice/run extensions to amp.
i don't think the AR's have any speakers connected (run in parallel or series)...just a 'home run' to each speaker.
It may not be necessary to make new runs for your speaker wires, but I would. This gives you a consistent gauge from your amp to speakers. Suggest getting some duplex wiring from tinnedmarinewire.com or knew concepts, etc. if you haven't already.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
This video explains why I won't be doing my own audio upgrade. Enjoy.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
This video explains why I won't be doing my own audio upgrade. Enjoy.

A 10 minute video about wiring series vs parallel - probably way too much details. That is a 90 second explanation. Audio is easy.