• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

South Carolina Advice

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Some of you may remember that I had posted that I had accepted a new job in Charleston and leaving Orlando. Well after a few unforeseen issues that delayed our move, like a non-compete that my former company “claimed” I signed, we are finally here in Charleston. The reason for my post is that For this of you living in SC or have boated in SC, I am looking for any and all advice and tips you might be able to provide. I live in West Ashley and first and foremost need advice on the best launch. Are Lake Moultrie and Lake Marion worth trying? Where are some cool destinations that we can check out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Glad to have another pats fan in the state. Marrion and moultrie are certainly worth checking out. They are somewhat shallow but the pinnopolis lock is really cool and there are some on the water bars/resturants there. Cruising the ICW down to Hilton Head will be fun too. The lakes and waterways out in that area can be very shallow in spots and I highly recommend a plotter or dash mounted smart device with the navionics app.

I am biased but lake Murray may be worth your time for the events they put on a couple times a year or even just a day trip. A few bars/restaurants on the water and watching the pruple martins on bomb island at sunset is interesting. Murray is deeper too. If your are ever there and see a gray 242 with american flag flying above the tower and the name liquid therapy on the back that is me.

I think there is a group doing the lock to hilton head or charleston to hilton head run around memorial day. I won’t be doing that this year but worth checking into.

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lake Moultrie is ok I would avoid lake Marion it’s to shallow in spots and not marked all that well. The boating local to Charleston is probably better then both lakes though the rivers and the ICW are fun to cruise in your area. I don’t recall the name off the top of my head but the boat ramp off of 526 where Duncan Marine is located is pretty nice and near west Ashley

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We are doing Charleston to HHI over memorial day. Moultrie was a big open circle. The locks down to river and you can make a day of it down to charleaton and back if you wanted.

Not sure of ramps on the lake or even remember the name of one we used but it was pretty rough. Their seemed to be a nice ramp just below the lake.

I will say the winds can pick up on moultrie and get decent as well as we experienced on top back from HHI last may.

If your family may be interested in joining in trip send me message and I'll give you some details of what we are doing/time frame

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Glad to have another pats fan in the state. Marrion and moultrie are certainly worth checking out. They are somewhat shallow but the pinnopolis lock is really cool and there are some on the water bars/resturants there. Cruising the ICW down to Hilton Head will be fun too. The lakes and waterways out in that area can be very shallow in spots and I highly recommend a plotter or dash mounted smart device with the navionics app.

I am biased but lake Murray may be worth your time for the events they put on a couple times a year or even just a day trip. A few bars/restaurants on the water and watching the pruple martins on bomb island at sunset is interesting. Murray is deeper too. If your are ever there and see a gray 242 with american flag flying above the tower and the name liquid therapy on the back that is me.

I think there is a group doing the lock to hilton head or charleston to hilton head run around memorial day. I won’t be doing that this year but worth checking into.
Thank you very much @Mainah, I really appreciate your help. Lake Murray looks awesome and definitely looks like it would be worth the trip over.

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Lake Moultrie is ok I would avoid lake Marion it’s to shallow in spots and not marked all that well. The boating local to Charleston is probably better then both lakes though the rivers and the ICW are fun to cruise in your area. I don’t recall the name off the top of my head but the boat ramp off of 526 where Duncan Marine is located is pretty nice and near west Ashley
Thank you very much @robert843, I appreciate the help.

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
We are doing Charleston to HHI over memorial day. Moultrie was a big open circle. The locks down to river and you can make a day of it down to charleaton and back if you wanted.

Not sure of ramps on the lake or even remember the name of one we used but it was pretty rough. Their seemed to be a nice ramp just below the lake.

I will say the winds can pick up on moultrie and get decent as well as we experienced on top back from HHI last may.

If your family may be interested in joining in trip send me message and I'll give you some details of what we are doing/time frame
Thanks @Wisefam22, we are interested in the trip. Sending you a message.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boat ramp
Screenshot_20190224-101536_Maps.jpg

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Went over to the WO Thomas tamp today to check it out. Looks like a nice ramp, looking forward to getting out on the water. Saw this cool Cat tied up to the dock and had to grab a photo.

8A003D7E-2107-46CE-9986-B3C259C8E7F1.jpeg