• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Spare tire and Mount

leeatmg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mel - thanks. Not worried about the weight issue. I've got a 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie to tow with now. The boat barely feels there when I'm towing. I like the idea of the side mount as a pseudo-ladder. I always end up doing some climbing on the bow stop to get into the boat when putting in on the ramp, and someday that is going to result in a serious groin injury. :nailbiting:

As for a toolbox, well, I hate to say it but I am not terribly mechanically inclined so if there were tools in there I doubt I'd ever use them. I'm fine with construction tools, but not so much with car or boat repair.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The tool box is just for a lug wrench, grease for the bearing buddies, jack for changing a tire, anti-seize for the studs, gloves, hand cleaner, etc. It is just additional things needed to change a tire. Most lug wrenches won't fit the nuts on the trailer! Mine was a 3/4" socket and my truck lug wrench was 5/8". So an additional lug wrench or socket with breaker bar is needed. Probably a C-clamp and a spare stud or two would be a good option too. Even not being handy with those Lee...this is the place to get edumacated! If your planning a road trip of any length, you need a spare, wrench, and jack at a minimum. Longer trips? You definitely want wheel bearing grease. And many will care all of the above plus even an extra hub!

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is why tool boxes on pickups are so handy for all the things Mel just mentioned. I don't carry an extra hub, but I always have everything else in there when I have a trailer in tow. Plus, we put our luggage in there too when we're on a trip with the boat.

leeatmg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, Mel - you said about fifteen things I didn't understand in just a few sentences. Now, slowly...a lug what? ;)

Kidding, but seriously I'd be better off with a box just big enough to fit a AAA card. Yes, I can and have changed a tire before, but when you start getting into bearings and hubs that's where I call 1-800-comefixitformenomatterwhatitcosts.

A spare, a wrench, and a jack I understand. Didn't know about the different sizes of lug wrenches...what about the jack from my car? Not good enough?

---Lee

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Didn't know about the different sizes of lug wrenches...what about the jack from my car? Not good enough?

---Lee
You should try your jack from your tow vehicle...it may not reach or may not raise it high enough. It is designed to work with a bumper or frame mount, not go clear back under a trailer, behind tandem wheels, and under an axle to raise. So it may work, but may not. The lug wrench I discovered when I needed it...I was lucky I was at the house and could go and get a breaker bar and socket. So check that too. In a pinch, it could save you sitting for hours or longer! Changing a tire on a trailer on the side of the road isn't my cup of tea either...but I have waited for AAA to get to my wife for 4 hours! And of course had I been any closer, I would have gone to her rescue, but I wasn't. When out on the road and not in town, it can be worse!

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a plastic tub full of parts like grease and bearings. When the trailer is on the tub is in the truck bed. Truck jack works and I always carry an X lug wrench anyway.

For spare tire mounts, I added a side mount to my 210 and my 240 came with the basket. After using both I prefer the side mount for sure. The basket mount is always getting dipped with the trailer and is hard to get the spare out. The side mount stays dry, is easy to get to and makes a handy step. Just mount it on the passenger side so you are away from traffic when getting at the spare.