• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Spare Tire Mount for MFI Trailer

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a galvanized MFI trailer and need to mount my spare tire. So what mount do you guys recommend? I would prefer something either sufficiently coated or cheap enough that I will not worry about dunking it in salt water a few times a year.

Thanks for your advice.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fulton Bolt On Spare Tire Carrier by Fulton http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKENBM/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Lm9bub1T8WBME

I got a couple of these, one for the boat and one for my enclosed trailer.
They are cheap and seem to be made well.
I haven't installed it on the boat trailer yet, because I haven't went anywhere with it. When I do, I'll throw it on real quick.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think that fulton is the same one Yamaha sold me with my 230 when new. It is plenty good and cheap. It is zinc plated which is a protectant and resists corrosion. But without the nickel bath and hot zinc application is it surface only and won't last a long time. My suggestion would be to use that bracket and not worry at all about it...just get stainless steel fasteners and change the bracket if you ever need to. My guess is that it won't cause you any grief at all if rinsed. I would also suggest just getting a can of cold zinc rich spray and coat it. It will act as a sacrificial anode and wear off instead of eating into the factory coating. Spray it before each ocean outing and you'll be fine!

albett3

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My galvanized MFI trailer has the spare mounted to the frame in the front of the trailer between the two frame rails.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My galvanized MFI trailer has the spare mounted to the frame in the front of the trailer between the two frame rails.
That may be a change they made in later years. The earlier MFI trailers did not have that spare tire basket between the frame rails...except for the 232. I think the 240/242 MFI may have had that too, but when they switched to the Shorelandr trailer, they went back to the side frame rail mounted spare.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Make sure you mount it so there is plenty of clearance on the ground. The bottom of my spare tire cover is all chewed off from steep turn-offs, etc.

albett3

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think it was. When I was researching the boat I remember reading about spare tires. I was very happy when I got the boat to find a spare mounted already.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a spare tire cage added to my trailer last winter. The tire is final out of the way and is not gonna go anywhere. I never have liked the side rail mounts.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can purchase the mfi tire mount directly from mfi but I think they want over $100 for it and you would still need to have it welded on. I'd bet you can have a local welder fabricate and install one for less. On my previous boat trailers I installed fulton branded spare carriers which offset the spare upwards and they worked great (that is, provided extra space left between the spare and the road and more than enough between the spare and the bow). I think they were around $35.

Here is a link to MFI's page with a pic of the welded on spare mount. It's not listed in the parts section but it is probably still available separately. Again not much too it. Surf MFI's parts section and you will see the bolt on spare carrier that they sell.

http://www.mfitrailers.com/options.htm

Here is link to a page with the Fulton bolt on mounts. I've used them and they worked fine with no signs of rust after several seasons in fresh, brackish and occasional salt water use.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=fulton+spare+tire+mount&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IE11SR

Last edited:

Papa

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I use the fulton and have had zero issues. Still in great shape and no corrosion.
Papa

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bruce,

Bayside jet drive put the bracket and spare on my galvanized trailer before I made the trip from MD to OH, I'll get the details on cost tonight and snap some pics over the weekend.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I would be reluctant to grind off the galvanization and weld on a galvanized trailer any more than necessary, because @Bruce is gonna dunk that trailer. He can spray it all with cold galvanizing spray on the outside, but those interior rails will be void of any zinc after welding it, and that bow rail triangle is a really critical area. It would be fine on a painted trailer to add the MFI basket. I know some like it and some of us don't. I used the side mounted spare tire as a step into the bow from off of the tongue and missed that on my 240 until I discovered the winch cover made a good step too. But the number one reason I don't like that basket in the middle...you can't put the "logo spare tire cover" on the basket tire and have it be seen!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought my spare tire rack from dealer at time of boat purchase. I believe it is the MFI (will look for ID on it tonight). Note the U-bolt attachment...strongly recommend this route vs welding, particularly for the salt water guys.
I am very happy with it, use it as a step as @txav8r mentions above.

Pix (stolen from another topic - so not closeups) show the spare tire mount front and back:

Trailer Spare Tire Mount 1.jpg Trailer Spare Tire Mount 2.jpg

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just curious on this, but I noticed that most of these spare tires are mounted on the starboard side of trailer. For right handed winch cranks wouldn't you want the spare tire mounted on the port side so you don't have to clime over the trailer to step into the boat? Usually that part of the trailer is over water so to avoid getting wet that would be a bit of a balancing act. If stepping in the water then you have to be really careful there because the algae growth on the cement can make it super slick.

Just my 2 cents.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just curious on this, but I noticed that most of these spare tires are mounted on the starboard side of trailer. For right handed winch cranks wouldn't you want the spare tire mounted on the port side so you don't have to clime over the trailer to step into the boat? Usually that part of the trailer is over water so to avoid getting wet that would be a bit of a balancing act. If stepping in the water then you have to be really careful there because the algae growth on the cement can make it super slick.

Just my 2 cents.
@jetboater4life I'm not following this Derik, what do you mean right handed winch? And why would you have to get in the water? I used this exact setup and it worked good. I would walk behind the truck and step onto the tongue, onto the tire, and into the boat...reverse that to get out at the ramp. I almost always winch the boat tight from inside the boat leaning over the bow, so I don't care too much which side the winch is on, but in all mine it has been a port side handle. Also, the trailer jack is on the port side of the MFI trailer. On my shorelandr, it is on the starboard and I find it inconvenient there, but the winch handle still is port side.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was thinking more about launching the boat, but it could apply to both depending on how the boat is retrieved. Basically having to step to the opposite side that your your winch handle is on. Steep ramps won't have this problem so much because that part of the trailer isn't even above water. I think you answered my question with the trailer jack being mounted on the port side. That is the main reason all the tires are mounted on the starboard side. I like my basket mount and wouldn't want a side mount because in my garage space is at a premium. Having the tire mounted below the bow means more room for kids bikes along the side of the boat.

Edit: @txav8r To answer your question about my ambiguous statement relating to the winch handle. I should have said that most winch handles are mounted on the port side.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Admittedly, I loved that basket mount until I realized I would have to install some sort of steps on the trailer bow. But for an already galvanized trailer, I know I would resist that much welding as it would eliminate some of the interior hot dip. Also, when I winch from the ground, I am generally doing so from the right side and never used the tire. But I may be misunderstanding your thoughts.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Fulton Bolt On Spare Tire Carrier by Fulton http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKENBM/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Lm9bub1T8WBME

I got a couple of these, one for the boat and one for my enclosed trailer.
They are cheap and seem to be made well.
I haven't installed it on the boat trailer yet, because I haven't went anywhere with it. When I do, I'll throw it on real quick.

I bought this same one and mounted it starboard side about 18-24" past the winch. About 1/3 of the tire dips when I launch but the framework stays dry pretty much. I could move it forward a bit more probably. Easy install, stout, switching to stainless fasteners is good idea.

I bought a breaker bar and 13/16 (memory check?) deep well socket and have them in my trucks tool bag for a dedicated MFI wheel lug wrench since its different than my trucks lugs....I keep meaning to zip-tie it to the spare but at the moment its our only tow vehicle anyways.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Just my 2 cents.
I placed mine on the starboard side to keep me off the road when working it as much as possible....I see too many folks texting out there...

Are MFI trailers made where they drive on the wrong side of the road?

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Admittedly, I loved that basket mount until I realized I would have to install some sort of steps on the trailer bow. But for an already galvanized trailer, I know I would resist that much welding as it would eliminate some of the interior hot dip. Also, when I winch from the ground, I am generally doing so from the right side and never used the tire. But I may be misunderstanding your thoughts.
I'm trying to explain something I can only perceive as an inconvenience and your experience says its not an issue which is good. There are so many ways to launch and retrieve a boat which also makes it harder to picture. Since I don't have a side tire mount I was envisioning a one person launch and retrieve where you don't want to step down on the slippery cement ramp. This depends greatly on the ramp angle. In my case the slickest part of the ramp is right where I would stand to uncrank/crank the winch handle on the port side. When launching I'll sometimes stand on my hydro-turfed trailer tongue and un-crank the bow line so it becomes loose enough to unhook from the boat. From there I imagine I would use the tire on the starboard side to step on instead of the step I had welded into to my bow stop. After describing this scenario it seems like the starboard side would be the preferred side for the tire/step. It's all a moot point because like you said the trailer jack is on the port side.