• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Spark Plugs and oil change on low hour 212x?

thegrapeguy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was wondering what folks thought was mandatory and what could slide on the summerizing of my 2014 212x with about 25 hours… This will be it's 3rd season on fresh water…

I'm quite sure the previous owner did not change the spark plugs (still has original) but I'm pretty sure he changed the oil last year at beginning of season… I bought it this past August…

Should I change the spark plugs?

Should I change the oil a?

I know dumb questions… But only 25 hours. But if it can slide I save some money...

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would change both since you don't know the history of the boat. i.e. How it was stored, really ran, maintained, etc. Then you can change every other season or later depending on your use and climate. I would start fresh though...

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I like to start each season with fresh oil, especially if the boat has been sitting idle for a few months. An oil change might indicate potential future problems due to water or metal flakes in the oil. Plugs, I can see starting with new since you don't know the history but afterwards I only change them if I have an issue with performance or prior to going on a long boating trip.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I religiously changed my oil and filters every 50 hours, I realized the oil was not dirty and oil will not go bad from time it only needs changing when it gets dirty so I have changed my habits to every 75 hours and it still looks clean so my honest opinion is if it is clean and the oil filter is not showing ANY signs of rust you are fine. On the oil filter rust issue, especially for people in SALT WATER be very careful to check for this as the oil filters have a reputation of rusting at the crimp and blowing when in use, this usually costs you an engine when it happens, I coat my filters with aluminum tape to protect them from the salt air and water. Some dealers apply grease to the crimp on the oil filter .
On your particular boat I would be concerned about the plugs seizing in the heads or the coil boots seizing to the plug. I always coat the coil boots with dielectric grease and the plugs with never seize before it ever hits the water I also add zinc to the pump area, the factory anodes are magnesium.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you don't 100% know what the previous owner did or didn't do - change both - the oil and plugs.

I also like to start the season with fresh oil.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Oil changes are really cheap insurance. Changing mine this weekend. As for the plugs, it really seems like these engines let you know when they want new plugs. Changing those too as my performance seemed a little down at the end of last season.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree that changing both and getting a new baseline for your ownership would be the way to go. Congrats on the new boat.

thegrapeguy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know the original owner pretty well and he said the oil hasn't been changed so I'm changing it. He said the spark plugs are original and he used the boat for 2 seasons. I'm entering the 3rd season with total 25 hours engine use so with this light use I plan on seeing how the boat runs and if it's as smooth as last season I'll wait on the spark plugs. But I think I will purchase some NGK V-power 6668's to have on hand...

QUESTION - would it be wise to go through the hassle of bringing the boat home, attaching the hose, start water flow, starting the engines and then warming up and do the oil change before I get the boat in the water? Originally I planned on launching the boat, driving the boat back to the hoist and then doing the oil change on the hoist because the engine would be warm. Less hassle...

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just changed my oil cold last week, might it take an extra 5-10 min. waiting on the vacuum pump to get it out, otherwise I don't see the benefit of bringing it home, I'd just drive it to the lift and change it there.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wouldn't bring it home. I just take mine for a quick spin to warm up the oil and change it right on the water. Easy peasy! As far as the spark plugs are concerned. I would change them while you're doing the oil change. It's easy and inexpensive to do. I'd rather change my plugs at the beginning of the season rather than risk ruining a day on the water. Murphy's law... Your plugs will foul the day you have with 8 people on board 50 miles from the nearest Marina. Your wife will be yelling "why didn't you change the spark plugs at the beginning of the season". Meanwile you will be head down in the engine compartment with your plumbers crack exposed for all to see. At the same time a big cruiser will go by with a wake the size of a bus. It breaks over the bow soaking everyone and causing you to bang your head on the engine hatch. Really, who wants to be that guy. Do yourself a favour, if in doubt change them out.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm of the mind-set that I change oil and plugs annually and I only out 40-50 hours on my boat. I figure this provides two cheap sets of insurance: First, it protects the engines and keeps me down there watching out for signs of anything amiss. Second, this is insurance that I likely won't have to fuss with plugs and a cranky engine while I'm out on the water enjoying the boat with a group of people.

However, if you do decide to wait, I definitely agree...if you decide to change the oil, do it on the lake...you are assured of it being level.

As for the plugs, as others have said, these engines will let you know when the plugs aren't right. I would definitely carry the spare set you have on the boat as well as a good magnetic spark plug socket (this makes the job much easier).

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I change oil, filters, and plugs every year. It's cheap enough, easy to do, and as others have said one less thing to worry about going bad.

It takes longer to change the oil when it's cold, but you eventually seem to get more out.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
This is a timely discussion for many of us I am sure. Will be doing my first oil change next weekend. Plan was to launch, run engines just a little to warm them up and then pump out oil.

But- what I was concerned with is- having 2 engines. The first pump out will be on the warm engine, but the 2nd pump will be on the engine that sat longer and cooled.

Probably not a big deal. But does anyone warm up the 2nd engine again before pumping?

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'd recommend running longer @BobJohnson . I typically drive the boat about 2 miles out or so to get em nice and warm. You won't have an issue with the other one cooling off that way. You could also complete the oil change on one, and then just run them again before you start the second one. The warmer the oil is, the easier it extracts.