• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speaker Comparison

cep022

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

BravoMike

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check with @PEARCE I believe he has them in his boat. I currently have the 2 pairs of the db651's and a pair of db691's with a 6 channel amp. For what I paid, very happy with the setup.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am using the DB651's and they are considerably better than stock, but not a high-end speaker by any means.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have mm651's . Way louder then the dbs ( not knocking the dbs they are great speakers) they (mm's) just need to make sure that they have a crossover that can tune the speakers. They are ear piercing loud and clear. I would buy them again and I am thinking about buying a set for my tower cans.

edit: I bought mine through eBay at 100 something a set. They were factory reconditioned with a full warranty direct from polk.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do have the MM651UM in my boat. The cockpit 4 are on a 5 channel amp with a sub and I have 2 on the swimdeck on a separate 2 channel. They have a high quality and very clear sound. I'm very pleased with the investment. Keep in mind that with the db's you can get away without using an app, but the MM's like power put to them to make them really sing.

cep022

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you to all. Like I said I've got the db series with amps.. just looking for some extra sound and it looks like the MM series might just be the way to go.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You might be better off installing another set mid cabin. Depends on what kind of better sound you want.

cep022

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I changed out the db series to the MM series. What a difference in clarity and volume these things make. Next step is adding two more mid cabin as suggested. That will come over winter project and with courage to make the holes in the boat.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Glad to hear! There is a night and day difference between the DB series and the MM series. The only thing they have in common is the name, Polk Audio. While the DB series might be ok for some, it is an entry level speaker. You can amplify it, but it will never be more than a powered entry level speaker. There is truth in "it is what's up front that counts". I am not bashing the DB guys either, but it is what it is. The MM651UM is priced and competitive with the JL MX 650. In some reviews one wins, others the other wins. Both great speakers. Not at all priced like the DB's and getting them on Ebay for $100/pair was a freaking steal! @jcyamaharider ! That is a DB price!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah I keep looking and have not seen them again. I went and looked back and I got them for 125. Yep those were a steal!

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The MMs should be sweet, but it's probably a good idea to at least cross shop them with the JL MX650s or the Wet Sounds 6.5 inchers. I've been reading a TON of reviews between those three. Everybody seems to like what they have, which is good news, though there are a few reports from people who have had durability issues with there MMs. Those could just be a fluke, though, and I'd be willing to bet there are more of them out floating around on boats than there are either JL or Wet Sounds. For me, when I do pull the trigger, I'm almost certainly going with the JLs based on the reviews and on the pre-purchase support I've already received from Earmark (authorized dealer of JL with some pretty nice package deals).

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is a component midrange, not a full range speaker. Are you intending to piece together a setup of component woofer, component midrange and component tweeter?

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
That is a component midrange, not a full range speaker. Are you intending to piece together a setup of component woofer, component midrange and component tweeter?
It sounds good by it self but I may add tweeters in the future. I do have subwoffers.

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I had the mm651's in my Harley a few years ago and they were GREAT!! Its MORE of a challenge getting good audio out of a motorcycle and they performed great! My boat now has the db's (they were stock) and I can't see replacing them with MM's. Is there a difference, I am sure, but not enough to warrant the upgrade when there are other things to spend $$ on :)

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
This is the speaker I'm going with now http://www.ddaudio.com/products/mobile-audio/voice-optimized/vo-m65 Look at the power handling, Sensitivity and price. They sound pretty good.
A paper cone midrange in a boat. Pressed paper absorbs moisture.
A domestic size basket with an odd sized opening and non-marine grill options.
The frequency response is unqualified, meaning it could be down - 20 dB at 13 kHz and probably is.
The higher the SPL, the narrower the bandwidth, and the more erratic the response. Standard design trade-offs. Just fact.

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Thanks for you insight David.

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love my MM's, comparable to the JL and wetsounds, but at a much lower price (at least when I bought them)....have had 2 sets in the boat for the last 2 years and have not had a single problem with them...