• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speaker problem

Kennytwo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Stereo was working fine but was going to add a low power speaker. I cut the speaker wire in the rear speaker to splice in and now no speakers at all will work. I have a 2015 212X totally stock with no amp. Is there a fuse that could’ve blown?? Help please!

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your stereo still has power? U didn’t put + and - wires together anywhere right? U didn’t splice wires while u had power going to the speakers?

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
So you added a new speaker to original. location or you added a 2nd speaker. If you added a 2nd speaker you dropped the ohm load and my have put the radio's internal amp in to protect or it has blown.

Kennytwo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Battery was off, I added another speaker. When I turned the battery back on the stereo (Clarion M608). Stereo powers up but no sound. I accessed the back and it had a 15 amp fuse that looks melted. I replaced that and still nothing. Now both tachs show a N2K Comm error

Last edited:

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
So you had 6 speakers in total. The bow and rear cockpit is on Zone 1 and at a 2ohm load. The stern is on zone 2 at a 4ohm load. If you added to the bow or cockpit wires you are probably at a 1ohm load. That means your radio is drawing too much current.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
So you had 6 speakers in total. The bow and rear cockpit is on Zone 1 and at a 2ohm load. The stern is on zone 2 at a 4ohm load. If you added to the bow or cockpit wires you are probably at a 1ohm load. That means your radio is drawing too much current.
This. You did something without thinking it through. Factory radios typically cannot handle 1 or 2 ohm loads.

It doesn't sound like you didn't even try to remove the speaker yet to see if it works. If do and it still doesn't work you prob fried the internal amplifier.

With that being said - I feel like the 212X should have a factory amplifier.

Kennytwo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This. You did something without thinking it through. Factory radios typically cannot handle 1 or 2 ohm loads.

It doesn't sound like you didn't even try to remove the speaker yet to see if it works. If do and it still doesn't work you prob fried the internal amplifier.

With that being said - I feel like the 212X should have a factory amplifier.
Definitely a bone head move on my part. I unhooked the speaker and put it back to normal but still nothing. When I pulled the stereo out the 15 amp fuse thats on there was melted. (It was on the yellow wire I think thats the battery wire) I replaced the fuse and still nothing. Also, would this cause the N2K error? The port side tach now has that error and the starboard flashes Eng Comm Error then the N2K error and the needle jumps back and forth. Can believe all of this just because I wanted to add an extra speaker. Lesson learned, If I can get everything back to normal I wont mess with it again.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Does the radio even power on? If the radio is connected on the NMEA network and the radio is shot - that is prob your error.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Radio powers on and visually works perfect. Just no sound and now these errors
Are you sure there is no amp? Do you have a picture of the back of the radio?

Kennytwo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'll have to take a picture later but I'm pretty sure unless its just built in to the head unit

Kennytwo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Are you sure there is no amp? Do you have a picture of the back of the radio?
Here is a picture of the back of the radio and a picture of the 15 amp fuse I found melted back there. I’ve replaced the fuse but still no go.

Attachments

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I don't see anything that would signify an amplifier - nor do I see any NMEA2000 connections.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
If the radio has an internal amp and I blew it up by adding the speaker would that cause the communication errors?
I don’t think it would…. The radio would need to communicate with the network. Is there any out of the ordinary connections on back of radio? Usually a black plug

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yellow wire is memory. Red is power. you may have a blown fuse elsewhere.
2015 212x does not have an amp I looked it up on yamaha's parts list.

Last edited: