• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speaker questions for 18 242 se

Paul Steele

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Bought a 242 limited SE (does not have the kicker stereo)

Sold my sx192 - actually a feel like the stereo sounded better on sx193 that 242

Looking for thoughts about replacing the factory speakers without adding subs

Have two little kids - cannot have it very loud but there is not bass end with the current speakers

Even with highs turned down and kids and lows all the way up - it is very tingy

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How much of a concern is cost? I ask b/c you could run an over-sized speaker, ie 7.7 vs a 6.5 and push a little more power to it and it should give you plenty of bottom end without a sub...albeit nothing like a sub, which begs the question....why not add the sub and a bass knob whereby you can just turn it down whenever you want, or not and feel the bass...plus kids love the sound and feel...dont they, lol

A solid IB 10, or dare I say a sealed JL 8 would do wonders for the low end.

Just a few thoughts.

Congrats on the new boat!

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Question for you: Do you find that it sounds 'tingy' everywhere, or just at the helm? I have a Limited S, and the stereo everywhere sounded okay except at the driver's seat (and passenger seat). Not sure how different the E-Series sound setup is, but the tower tweeters were overpowering with nothing else there. My first change was cutting in two additional speakers in the cockpit, and amping them all. I did it for a song, but even with a high end amp its still only a three digit price tag - made a world of difference, and got considerably more bass out of the factory polks.

Paul Steele

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Thanks For the advice.

I think I’m going to go the route of trying to add two speakers in the cockpit area. And I’ll probably Pull the trigger on the sub. Gonna try to hang onto this boat for a while.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think adding a sub would be solid if you expect to keep the boat.

8 JL 6.5s and a single 10 will sound amazing...or any combo with decent power....but adding those cockpit speakers is a big diff!!

Paul Steele

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
Has anyone heard of hertz electronics for both speakers and subs. Spoke to my local audio guy and he was recommending them over JL.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ive heard of them, never used them....supposedly the subs are solid.

That said if their amps arent class D, and it comes with a 2yr warranty then you might err on the side of caution and splurge on the JL or WS, or Kicker among others.

Im surprised your audio guy would throw them up against JL though...does he carry JL...my installers carry a bunch of diff brands, most have pros and cons...the only con I can think about the JL stuff Ive heard is the price....my old boss used to say price is what you pay, value is what you get.

Meaning if you spend a little more, but get years of problem free audio then you wont worry about the costs....but if you go with another option that doesnt work out then your screwed.

Id suggest coming up with a budget and then work backwards....even if its in phases...thats what I did...this stuff is pricey one way or another.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Hertz makes some great sounding equipment. With that being said, as far as I know, they do not make anything for the marine environment. You def want something that is going to beat down by sunlight and water over the years.

EDIT: looks like Hertz does make marine. Looking at the equipment, it seems on spec with the JL MX series. Looks like higher priced than JL as well, and also completely new to them. I would recommend going with what is tried and true (and happens to cheaper for once) The Hertz looks ugly as sin too lol

Last edited:

Paul Steele

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
JL is it - thx guys - will keep you posted

Going to replace the 6 speakers - add two more - and add a sub

Thanks

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
winning combo....AND you wont be disappointed.

What amp do you want to go with? What kind of sub, free air or an enclosure?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
winning combo....AND you wont be disappointed.

What amp do you want to go with? What kind of sub, free air or an enclosure?
Rumor has it there is an 8 channel amp in the for sale section. :cool:

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Bought a 242 limited SE (does not have the kicker stereo)

Sold my sx192 - actually a feel like the stereo sounded better on sx193 that 242

Looking for thoughts about replacing the factory speakers without adding subs

Have two little kids - cannot have it very loud but there is not bass end with the current speakers

Even with highs turned down and kids and lows all the way up - it is very tingy
Just to add , I too have a 2018 SE. The speakers on my boat were wired in Series. So you could not hear them to well when driving the boat.
I too have young kids....10 and 8 yr old... and they wanted me to turn it up....lol.
So I ended up doing a full upgrade. Everything connected to the Connext ...