• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speaker upgrades

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just wanted to know why so many are adding amps and speakers. When and where do you ever get to blast out the music. I would never expect other boaters to be forced to listen to my taste in music and when out boating, I'm listening to the boat, the friends/family and nature. We put over 60 hrs. on the boat this season and never did we have the music louder than we could talk. Don't get me wrong, I like music, but I don't like everyone's when we're out. So when do you play you're music so loud that the factory speaker aren't enough?

shar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you drive your car in silence? I kind of think of it as the same.

Even when not underway, it's nice to have some background noise...And the stock stereo is terrible, at best.

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just wanted to know why so many are adding amps and speakers. When and where do you ever get to blast out the music. I would never expect other boaters to be forced to listen to my taste in music and when out boating, I'm listening to the boat, the friends/family and nature. We put over 60 hrs. on the boat this season and never did we have the music louder than we could talk. Don't get me wrong, I like music, but I don't like everyone's when we're out. So when do you play you're music so loud that the factory speaker aren't enough?
If you want to actually hear the music while underway with any fidelity (term used loosely), you need the power. If you are out mid-week and just want to rock out while chilling in a cove with no one watching, you need power. If you are in your driveway and are working on the boat or cleaning out the garage and simply missing being on the water, you need power.

I personally hate people at anchor that crank their music, simply because it rarely is my taste, or it's not appropriate for my kids, or their systems are crap and it sounds like s$%!

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you want to actually hear the music while underway with any fidelity (term used loosely), you need the power. If you are out mid-week and just want to rock out while chilling in a cove with no one watching, you need power. If you are in your driveway and are working on the boat or cleaning out the garage and simply missing being on the water, you need power.

I personally hate people at anchor that crank their music, simply because it rarely is my taste, or it's not appropriate for my kids, or their systems are crap and it sounds like s$%!
Do you drive your car in silence? I kind of think of it as the same.

Even when not underway, it's nice to have some background noise...And the stock stereo is terrible, at best.
It just seems like I need all the attention on getting everyone lined out, as it is usually new people on the boat. Just the wife and I, yes, the music is great. The stock seems ok.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And thats kind of the point. I dont need to play my 16 speakers a 3 amps loud as all hell. But if someone is jamming some shity music like country or Justin Bieber over and over for example i have the option to turn mine up. And if you can hear the music clear doing 50mph your ears are way better then mine.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've been into 12v audio since I was about 14 years old (so roughly 30 years). So for me, its the one thing that I can seem to grow out of. I love music.... most all types and genres. On a typical Sunday at the sandbar, it's pretty much understood that my boat will be providing the tunes. I do not "blast" the tunes all day..... just a comfortable listening level. Very seldom do I crank it up will anchored, and when I do, it's generally for a song or two at most. The nice thing about having tons of power and REV10’s is that the stereo does not have to work hard at all the project the music to where those on the beach can hear it.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Why? Because stock stereos generally suck due to being underpowered.

We don't crank ours up obnoxiously loud when in the cove but we do turn it up while cruising. I have zone control so I don't blast the rear cans unless someone is behind the boat doing watersports and wants some tunes.

image.jpeg

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I guess it's different strokes for different folks, but I'm glad you guys are doing it for your personal enjoyment and not because it is' just something you do" to complete a boat's upgrade. My stock system is perfect for me as I never need it to overpower something or someone else, as we only use it to break the silence when anchored having lunch or basking in the sun. Do a lot of whale watching without the radio listening for the blow. The wife loves to video the tubers/boarders and watchers, and she loves to hear everyones laughter/screams.

Thanks for the responses.

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Why would you ribbon delete for an extra couple hundred (potentially) rpm? Why do you need that little bit of extra oomph?

I don’t crank my stereo around others but it’s nice to hear it while WOT. People really appreciate the tunes too when there are a lot of people who don’t have the capability. I have a playlist that most people can be ok with (variety of music).

to each their own I guess. I’m happy wirh my budget system that can play for 10 hours and still blast out the tards on the beach when needed.

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I did it hoping for better fuel mileage with less restrictions. And I would much rather hear a good sound system than a over cranked cheap system.

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Didnt realize budget meant "cheap". Have not heard anyone complain about the quality of my system ;) Little bit of shopping and a bit of smarts goes a long way. You don't have to buy "Wetsounds" or "JLA" to have a good sounding system. Ill put my "cheap" system up against most peoples JLA systems any day.

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I was implying cheap to the "tards" you were blasting over with your system.

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I was implying cheap to the "tards" you were blasting over with your system.
Their stuff isnt necessarily cheap, they just crank their garbage 1 track mind music over everyone elses. There is an acceptable level at the beach that will stay within the area of your boat. What's funny is when they run out of power after an hour and have to turn on the boat just to charge the batteries. ALl that money in a system and you cannot afford a good pair (or 3) batteries?

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well thats a simple answer........

Because the women dance.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Coryd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well thats a simple answer........

Because the women dance.
Right, this ^^

The sandbar where we hang out most often is basically a huge party and people wait for me to get there with my music. So yeah, I crank my shit for hours out there every weekend. Not once has anyone complained.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Its like having a Lamborghini, do you NEED to go 200mph, no, but you CAN if you have/want to. I dont need to be louder then almost anyone else on the sandbar in Tarpon Springs but i know i can.