• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Spectrum gel coat repair...freaking out

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
ok...I have seen many a thread on this but now its real because just did a few repairs from the idiots at the storage lots throwing gravel against my baby during the winter while cutting grass but, I digress.

Bought the Spectrum Gel coat repair for the black hull and it matched up pretty darn good. Even for a 2014 hull. I let it sit and cure over night and came back this afternoon and started to wet sanded it away. Started with the 220 and then 400 per the instructions on the package. This is were the freak out has started!

Have I totally destroyed my black hull?

I rinsed the sanded area with fresh water, wiped it down, used some Turtle wax compound, removed that and then Meguires marine wax. That didn't help make it look shiny again so I went back with a 9" orbital buffer with Starbrite cleaner and wax to see if that would help. but no... Yup freaking out.

This is where I am at this point. Help a brother out with some suggestions and advice please!

4w16caI+TOSOvurswIA1dA.jpgF+pRh%wuS+uz5NDgI+8oxw.jpgDg+PhumDQviUT91Qnse74w.jpgjbaUCy+SRdOcEdq1g19MZA.jpg

Buff it out with a real buffer and some fine buffing compound then use wheel mark eliminator to finish it use a lambs wool pad when you buff it out I would also use 600 w&d paper before buffing and do it lightly,

Definitely would’ve started with 4-600 sandpaper, then moved to 800 and then 1000-1500. Did you use any of the higher numbers for wet sanding?

I did not... stopped with the 400...obviously smooth and didn't think to continue.

Have I totally destroyed my black hull?
Nah.... that will shine up, do a round of sanding with 600 then 800. When you see a smooth satin finish, hit it with some compound and a buffer. Turtle wax stuff usually isn't made to take out sanding marks, I'd get some proper compound

if it’s already smoothed out with the other parts of the gel coat skip to 800-1000 for a bit and then 1500, and use 2000 if you have it. It takes time so be ready for your hands to be sore!

One thing I learned about fiberglass and gelcoat is that you can't mess it up. Get a sandpaper variety kit, start at 600, then 800, 1000, 1500, compound it, polish it, and wax it. Get a wet sanding block if you don't have 1 yet.

As other have said, you need to wet sand to the higher grits. Get a buffer with wool pad. Harbor freight has a cheap one if you dont use it often. Gets the job done. Hit it with some medium buffing compound, if you really want to hit it with some fine buffing compound then seal it with wax. Wax doesnt do shit to take out scratches.

3M Perfect-It Gelcoat Medium Cutting Compound + Wax, 36106, 1 Quart, One-Step Process, P1500 and Finer Scratches, Fiberglass Oxidation Remover for Boats and RVs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXYXEL3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_i_AGQGP85NDJNG2DWAFTT1

Thanks guy...Anxiety is dropping.

Borrowed a good buffer with wool pads from a buddy and I'll head out and get some higher grit sandpaper and then hit it with some buffing compound, Polisher then wax.

Thanks a ton guys!

Damn, I need a drink lol

Thanks guy...Anxiety is dropping.

Borrowed a good buffer with wool pads from a buddy and I'll head out and get some higher grit sandpaper and then hit it with some buffing compound, Polisher then wax.

Thanks a ton guys!

Damn, I need a drink lol
It’ll work out nice. Just use that high grit and that baby will shine like a mirror!

Good advice. Here is what I've done...maybe overkill. 400, 800, 1500, 3000, Medium/light compound with orbital, copy paper rub, wax/polish. I use my milwaukee random orbital sander. No sore arms. Just wetsanded the entire boat. thumbnail_IMG_6582.jpgthumbnail_IMG_6588.jpg

I sure will... Earliest I can post will be Saturday because I'm waiting on the Gelcoat Compound to arrive that @Dixemon suggested. Now, time to wear out my arms and shoulders and get to sanding.

You’ll see a big difference as you wet sand with the higher grit paper! If you feel you’re going too deep just move to the higher grit. I was afraid of sanding too deep and revealing the scratch again so I sanded with 1000-1500 for a long time lol.

ok everyone... going to go pop a few beers and sit outside after today's results.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, input and encouragement.

I started to "repair process" and went back at it wet sanding with 800 then 1500 and finished out with 2000. The deeper scratches where gone by the time I finished up. I would sand, wipe with fresh water and dry the section with a towel to get a better view of my progress and repeated for every spot I had "F'd" up. By the end of the day I was down to just mostly hazy sections but was still pretty worried about getting the color back.

Finally today, after waiting for amazon to show, I used the 3M Gelcoat compound and wax that @Dixemon suggested and a wool pad with buffer/polisher and Lord and behold we had progress, no haze and a smile on may face... came back with Mcguires boat wax and all is back to normal.

Wife and son looked around and couldn't tell where the scratches where so I consider that a pass.

I had to lool at these pix a ton but what looks like a scratch is a reflection from something. I swear!! :winkingthumbsup"
.GXRCQrYQSGu4wJTbTFgtow.jpgnFOcuEKgQ%KuygQ0KTg1ag.jpgU+hrwCqGRXuSSniJpPEBbA.jpgrMjsfjPwROWXjtC9f24sdA.jpg

Nice job! I also use Mequiars Marine Wax. Love all Mequiars products. Well done.

Back