• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speedometer Went Out

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Not sure if I should have added this to one of my other threads, or start a new one, so here it is.

Last Tuesday, I finished the 10 hour break in cycle on the boat. For the first 5 hours the engine was limited to 7,000 RPMs, but then for the second half I was (shortly) able to hit the full 8k.

On Thursday I was pulling some kids on the tube, and the speedo was working. At one point I circled to pick up a fallen rider and when I turned off the engine, the needle stayed at 20 mph. When I restarted it dropped to 0 and didn't move again. The digital readout (on the adjacent tach gauge) also read 0, and the compas heading remained at 0 degrees.

So, when I go in for the 10 hour service, I will have that looked at too. The ammeter on the speed side seems to be working, but I question the fuel display, as it seemed to hover around 1/4 tank even after adding about 10 gallons over the weekend (roughly 1/4 of the capacity).

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like some standard "new boat" issues that will get corrected under warranty. As you know, this board is mostly Yamaha owners and speedometer issues are regualrly discussed. A search might shed some light, but I have no idea of the setup on the Glastron boats. One thing I would suggest however is to try to obtain a copy of the service manual which will provide diagrams and assist you with preventative maintenance as well as to give you a better understanding of the boat in general. let us know how you make out.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Yeah, I am not terribly concerned. I looked for the typical paddle wheel, hose issue, etc. Being a new model, there is much available for the service manual. The Glastron manual tends to be generic I/O information. I have been referencing some of the older SeaDoo manuals for info as well.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those gauges are custom made by Glastron. I looked at them closely when I was looking at a GTX series (yellow ones), and they are very simple to replace. The dealer should hook you up with no issues other than shipping time.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds to me like a bad ground. But I'm sure the dealer will figure it out. As long as she runs, you can still have fun!!! Most new boats take a season to get the bugs worked out anyway. I wish I could offer better advice, but I'm not familiar with your boat.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I am not sure on the ground. That gauge has speed, fuel and ammeter. The last 2 seem to be working, but maybe they all have individual grounds, but that seems kind of odd, considering there is only 1 plug.

I am not deeply concerned, I started the thread mostly to document the situation, as most searched for anything related to the Glastrion (or Scarab) jeb boats, GTS207 or similar come up empty.

Normally I would not even mention it, but trying to add content/value to the site.
The marina has the boat still for the 10 hr. service, should be coming back tomorrow. I told them if they can fix the speedo in that time good, if not I will wait for fall.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Apparently it wasn't anything as simple as a loose wire. A new gage had to be ordered. So I will just run the rest of the summer by feel, as I am not pulling the boat back out just for the speedo replacement (assuming the fuel gage still works).

Maybe they will just hand it to me and I can do the install.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Yeah, it looked to be a couple screws holding it in place, and a single plug. I just wasn't sure (warranty wise) if they would let me do it.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Apparently it was the GPS unit, which makes sense since the speedo is on one gage, and the compass on another (which also quit working). 7-10 days in a new unit will arrive. Not sure where this unit is, but hopefully someplace that I am able to get to, because I am not taking the boat back in just for that.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Module is in, and they want me to bring the boat back for a day to repair. They won't let me do the install because it was a warranty issue, and come to find out they are not sure it is the GPS. These are the people that left the tach unplugged after I had it in for diagnosis, so apparently they don't want me to make any mistakes, and let them make them instead... So I guess this will need to wait until the fall.

Scarabtech

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The gauges in the glastron are made by medallion. If you lost both the analog Guage and the digital readout it is more than likely the GPS antenna. This is located under the helm screwed in on the underside. It is a small black box with an electrical connector plugged into it. Have seen these fail. Make sure it is plugged in.

Terrance

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Interesting thread. I had the same issue. No analog or digital speed indicators after servicing a faulty O2 sensor. I took a look under the boat steering column and saw a connection not plugged in. Tried that and it started working again. I have a GT187 as well.

genwrx

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I am having a similar issue with my speedometer now, did this ever get resolved? I will check the plug connections more thoroughly. i had noticed it stopped working Thursday, but after a couple restarts it was working again when we headed back to shore, but yesterday it was dead all day. Interesting that it is GPS, i will try turning everything all the way off and see if it resets also.