• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speedometer

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was wondering if anyone is having issues with their speeds and accuracy on their boats.

During a sustained run yesterday I was reading 27 mph according to my digital speedometer, while my gps was reading 34 mph...the thing that got me thinking was that when a friend who was with me and who I passed easily on the river said his sea ray was reading 29 mph when I passed him.

Has anyone else seen this discrepancy?

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My Garmin GPS unit will typically show the same speed as the dash reading.

My issue is I can set the electronics at say 19mph and the boat will do 1-2mph less. My dealer said they contacted Mother Yamaha and they said this is within spec. Mind you this is a 10% error.

So I set the drive control at an approximate value and then dial in the speed I want with the GPS unit.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was wondering if anyone is having issues with their speeds and accuracy on their boats.

During a sustained run yesterday I was reading 27 mph according to my digital speedometer, while my gps was reading 34 mph...the thing that got me thinking was that when a friend who was with me and who I passed easily on the river said his sea ray was reading 29 mph when I passed him.

Has anyone else seen this discrepancy?
That seems way off, unless the digital speedo is a paddle, when going downstream it could read significantly less than GPS.

My OEM GPS speedo is accurate as compared to RideSteady, except Ridesteady reads to one decimal place.

--

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Agreed when pulling a boarder or surfer, knowing the speed to .1 mph is a great help.

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It being way off is what worries me, Im not doing anything crazy but towing the kids behind makes that speed important