• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speedster w/240 EFI has a flickering Low Oil LED as i increase RPM or Run Time.

Brad Parsons

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
I have a 2000 Seadoo Speedster w/ 240 EFI. Starting last year the oil LED alarm light started flickering, to almost steady at mid to WOT. By dropping back to Idle it would go off and then start again as I accelerate. Last year I thought it was the Oil level float. I changed that and I thought that fixed it, however this year it has continued.

While running the engine on a hose I can get it to start flickering after 5 minutes or so. While testing I tried disconnecting the oil float and both overheat sensors on the top of both cylinder heads. I also disconnected the wire to the water separator. Alarm light still had the same flickering response on the hose and on the lake.

By testing (Grounding) the various sensors I get all the correct warning buzzer sounds, including a nice bright LED on the Fuel gauge when I test the Oil level sensor. After thinking that the Oil level sensor was just slightly causing the issue I temporarily rigged the oil level float to always stay up, however the same flicker of the LED started after 5 minutes on a hose.

I think I have isolated the short or issue to be at the motor and not in the helm wiring. To do this I disconnected the tan/blu wire just before it went towards the helm and that kept the LED from flickering. It seems to be something at the engine with the wiring or modules causing the flicker.

Any help or direction on what to try or replace would be greatly appreciated!

Joey Martinez

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
this is not just an oil censor its actually a check engine light.

if you hear beeps it can tell you what it really is
can be engine over heat, water in fuel separator, low oil, low voltage

Brad Parsons

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply.

I have tested each of the Overheat, water separator, and low oil sensors to ground and heard the correct buzzer sequence as well as a nice BRIGHT low oil light with the low oil float sensor. What the boat is doing with the real faint flickering light is different than any of these sensors.

I took the boat to my test lake today and learned a few more clues. Once again it took about 4-5 minutes to get the light to start flickering. Out if suspitcion I temporarily mounted my engine buzzer in the dash pointing directly at me outside of the box. As soon as the light began to flicker the buzzer also began to do a very faint chirp. Clearly different and quieter than the overheat buzzer. Now as this was happening I also popped the trunk and shot the engine all over with a temp gun. Nothing measured over 140, even right next to the spark plugs. I also tried unplugging both the port and starboard overheat sensors (one at a time) and neither changed the faint buzzer and light.

Last night, on the hose I also tested the voltage from both regulators and they never got above 14v at 2000rpm. Yes, I'm done testing on a hose as it gets hot too quickly...

I just today decided to order the ignition control module as a recommendation from my other post. Do you think this is a good thing to try. I'M hoping this module is the magic fix!!