• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Spider Cracking Around The Pumps

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Has anyone else had any cracking around the pumps. My 2015 has them on the right side of both bolts top and bottom on both pumps. Dealer is saying the pumps will have to be removed so I am waiting to here from Yamaha how they are going to cover it. I also had a bubble in on of the chines on the left side of the boat that caused a hole to open up there also. I wouldn't have noticed the cracks around the pumps if I wouldn't have had someone clean the bottom for me after the season they are pretty small but it sounds like it is not an easy fix as both pumps have to be removed. Just wandering if anyone else has had this and everyone should check theres as it would have gone unnoticed by me probably but im not a professional.

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will add some pictures if I get it back before the work is done.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat has spider cracks around both pumps. Brought to the attention of dealer while still under warranty and he approached yamaha about it. Was told it was normal and non structural. Have it documented through email in case it ever becomed a problem.

I think most of the yamaha boats develop stress cracks around the pumps. Just most people never see them, or look for them

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My boat has spider cracks around both pumps. Brought to the attention of dealer while still under warranty and he approached yamaha about it. Was told it was normal and non structural. Have it documented through email in case it ever becomed a problem.

I think most of the yamaha boats develop stress cracks around the pumps. Just most people never see them, or look for them
I wouldn't have ever noticed but they are gonna fix it I just wander if it is worth fixing and not just documenting. It makes me nervous when major parts have to be pulled and reinstalled I just don't want future problems

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would leave it alone unless you personally know the mechanics and know they will reassemble it right.

Chances are good that it spiders again when they torque the bolts.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Regarding warranty. It was explained to me by the dealer. Yamaha will cover spider cracks, as a one time repair (warranty claim) while under warranty. If more cracks appear later during the warranty it is the customers problem.

So the moral of the story, wait till the last year of your warranty and make Yamaha fix all your cracks which have developed, during their one time repair.

Was very frustrating, but life is frustrating.

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Regarding warranty. It was explained to me by the dealer. Yamaha will cover spider cracks, as a one time repair (warranty claim) while under warranty. If more cracks appear later during the warranty it is the customers problem.

So the moral of the story, wait till the last year of your warranty and make Yamaha fix all your cracks which have developed, during their one time repair.

Was very frustrating, but life is frustrating.
So wait til four years and get it all at once is what your saying

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@jwells , I don't think Yamaha will cover spider cracks under the Y.E.S. warranty as they are not a structural defect. I think what @dan144k was saying, is that Yamaha and the dealer will cover them as a courtesy under the original 1 year warranty, not under the extended warranty. So my guess is that any repair of those under warranty would be inside the first year. They are not 100% consistent in their treatment of every claim, as there can certainly be differences from one to another. The bubble was a void, and that is covered and should be repaired. It is common to find a bubble like that in a transition like on the edge of the transom and bottom, I had one myself. I fixed mine but my dealer said let them "sound" that area as it may be larger or another one. If you have them acknowledging that they will repair them, it might be a good time to do it if you want it done. Otherwise, it is just a cosmetic issue. However, while cosmetic, it is in a area under the waterline, and some of those can be below the gelcoat layer. That may cause separation of gelcoat to fiberglass over the long run, and make it a good idea to get them fixed.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jwells @txav8r I had my repairs done in the end of 3rd year beginning of 4th year. So it was beyonddelivered the one year warranty

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the responses I think if they are willing to do it I better get it do e so it doesn't come back to bight me down the road

john94si

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes our 2015 has them also..

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
They are saying the new 16's they have at the dealer already have them so I'm just waiting to hear back but I just want them to acknowledge it so if in the future something really goes wrong.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The spider cracking is the only thing that I don't like about our boats.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The spider cracking is the only thing that I don't like about our boats.
I've seen it on mega yachts....nature of the beast.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know. And I knew this going in. I thought I'd have better luck since I don't really beat on it or even use it for anything more than cruising and swimming.