• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Spontaneous LONG tow

IndySmittyYammi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have a 10 day trip to SW Florida coming up. I’m considering canceling my flight and towing the boat down. Wife and kids would still fly.

17-19 hour drive from Indy. The only reason not to do this seems to be the drive time and having to pay a premium for doing high/dry for only a week or so. Am I letting cabin fever and a crazy itch to get out on the boat tempt me into making a mistake and adding too much work to a much needed vacation?

I don’t know. Looking for some advice from my jet boating buddies here.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It depends how you feel about towing, the Chattanooga / Appalachian Mountains are no joke and you would likely need to stop somewhere, not be able to run non-stop. There is always a risk of something going wrong during a long tow, too. That said, if you are used to it - I would do it for sure.
Having your own boat over there would be awesome, weather permitting.
I have rented boats many times in various places, never really great experience.

--

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have a 10 day trip to SW Florida coming up. I’m considering canceling my flight and towing the boat down. Wife and kids would still fly.

17-19 hour drive from Indy. The only reason not to do this seems to be the drive time and having to pay a premium for doing high/dry for only a week or so. Am I letting cabin fever and a crazy itch to get out on the boat tempt me into making a mistake and adding too much work to a much needed vacation?

I don’t know. Looking for some advice from my jet boating buddies here.
Where are you headed in SW Florida? We just did a long weekend in Tampa for 6 days and I didn’t feel the itch to explore. We enjoyed the sun and the 40 degree temperature swing from Columbus weather.

Our boat is tucked away for the winter and prefer it that way for now. Suggest flying down and enjoying yourself, family and a respite from the cold.

If you do make the trek, please post and inspire us midwesterners to go for it in the spring!!

Waterjet

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I agree with Mark. 17-19 hours each way is long for a week. I would fly and enjoy the family time. Only a few more months to be on the boat. I trailered mine when I bought it, 17 hours through the mountains. 8-10 mpg and constantly stopping to check your boat, plus having eyes glued to your mirrors, makes for a stressful trip. My 2 cents.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’d be tempted to make the drive. However, I’d make absolutely sure that the weather would be worth it before deciding. It would be awful to make that drive and find out that you only had one or two good days of weather When you got there. 🙈

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Bearing buddies on the trailer? How many miles on the current bearings and tires? Is your tow vehicle “17 hour comfortable” and dependable?
Do you have a lot of towing experience?

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Concur with @Dave burke and @Waterjet. Come on down and enjoy the family time in great weather and not on the road for a day and a half. Trailering for that long can be tedious and if the weather turns on you it can be down right dangerous especially coming through the mountains. Not sure where you are coming to but the beaches down there on the SunCoast are world renowned so hanging out on the beach is a treat. Besides, there are plenty of boat rentals down here if you get the urge, so for the cost of storage, gas and miles on the truck you can rent a boat enjoy a day or two on the water and then go back north tanned, rested and ready. Also you will really appreciate your Yammi after renting ;) . The water down here right now is in the mid 70's and can be swimmed in if you really want to. We saw folks out in the water when we were on the boat this Tuesday. Good Luck and have a great Vacay!
20200219_125457.jpg

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would go for it, as long as everything is up to par. Tires on trailer fairly new? whens the last time you checked the wheel bearings? Tow vehicle up for the challenge? If everything checks out good, hammer down. Let us know how it goes if you decide to make the trip. Good luck :thumbsup:

I would like to do the same thing from Northern Ill. in a year or two but the wife isn't real enthused with the idea of hauling the boat that far and then taking a '09 to Bimini. Nervous Nellie.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would go for it, as long as everything is up to par. Tires on trailer fairly new? whens the last time you checked the wheel bearings? Tow vehicle up for the challenge? If everything checks out good, hammer down. Let us know how it goes if you decide to make the trip. Good luck :thumbsup:

I would like to do the same thing from Northern Ill. in a year or two but the wife isn't real enthused with the idea of hauling the boat that far and then taking a '09 to Bimini. Nervous Nellie.
I took an 08 to bimini!!! There was drama but it was a wonderful week!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Depends on many things IMO.

Do you have time to prep? Three extra days vacation to bookend the trip with for the drive? Hows the wife feel about wrangling the kids through airports on her own? Have accommodations to store the boat down there? You're going to want to rinse it when you pull it out, have a plan for that? Painted trailer? That will definitely want a rinse before you get home. Whats the money look like? Gas down there and back will be spendy, but one less plane ticket and no rental car might be a wash. Hows the equipment? Good tires on the trailer and truck? Checked the bearings and brakes on the trailer recently? Have a "backup plan" in place in case the truck/trailer fails on the trip? Time allotted for that? What about a plan with what to do on the boat while you're there? Don't want to drag it all the way there, only to use it one or two days.

The tow from Indy down isn't terrible, just long. Worst hills are between Nashville and Chatanooga over Monteagle. Some rolling hills on I65, I24, and I75 into Atlanta. Made that drive a number of times, it's not horrible. Coming from Indy I would stay as west as you can as long as you can. Google routes you through Louisville, I would resist the urge to go east to I75 in Lexington, I75S is FAR more hilly than I65S. Made that tow last year, it's not horrid, but 65S is easier.

For me, last minute is a no. A month of planning is a yes.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm up for it but the wife is not. I'm a mechanic so other than a total engine loss I believe I would be prepared. Went on vacation a few years ago and she asked "why are you taking your toolbox?" Well the first evening out on the lake and the lower unit on our pontoon crapped out. Got it back to the house and docked it, next morning got it on the trailer and hauled it to a dealer and of course they couldn't even look at it so I took it back to the house, pull lower unit off and took it back in. They told me they didn't have parts to repair but had a takeoff engine with 5hrs on it in the back that he was willing to sell me the lower unit off of. Told him to call me when they got it separated. Picked it up and back to the house we went, installed and out on the lake in about 16hrs and 8 of those hours I was sleeping. Now the wife doesn't say a word when I take a tool box, 3ton floor jack, wood blocks or anything else.

AncientCanoe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's not tempting in the least to me. 17-19 hours of solo towing would be a two day trip for me. I'm sure you plan on powering through the night but that's borderline insanity to me. I'd just rent a boat while in Florida.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What kind of drama we talkin about?? You've got me intrigued.
Ohhhh there is a big long post about it in here somewhere.... my boats ecm went out on the starboard engine the afternoon before we were to come back.... there is a web guru on here somewhere that caN find it and give u the link to the thread... I'm not that good on my phone..

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Search 2008 ecu failure or something like that.
Boat was a 2008. What year was the Bimini Trip that happened on? My google is good, but not quite on point this morning.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think it is embedded in here... it's a long read... find where we are starting home..
2018 Bimini June trip (June 24th - June 30th)

and this one

Mr1 ecm

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got it. Thanks. I'll go reading here shortly.

Now back to our normally scheduled last minute long distance towing discussion :D :D