• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sport Jet to 4 Tec Swap

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Hey everyone. Have any of you swapped out your complete drive assembly from a Sport Jet to a 4 Tec? Just considering all my options before I tear into the Sport Jet 210 I have. Thanks

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The biggest issue is the fact that it's not just a powerhead you are swapping. The entire pump and drivetrain are different.

That's not to say it can't be done, as it's only money. But the physical size of how the pump is mounted is what you are dealing with. Lots of fiberglass, gelcote and hull structure would need to be changed to mount the pump and the engine. Then the plumbing for fuel and electrical.

So yes, it may be possible, but would it be worth it in the end? Only you can call that one. Many have asked if a different powerhead could be mounted to the SportJet pump. Again, they attach different. For those of us that owned the bigger 240 EFI and 250 Opti, the common question was, if this thing took a dump, could we mount a Verado powerhead on the old pump.

Good luck!

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
The biggest issue is the fact that it's not just a powerhead you are swapping. The entire pump and drivetrain are different.

That's not to say it can't be done, as it's only money. But the physical size of how the pump is mounted is what you are dealing with. Lots of fiberglass, gelcote and hull structure would need to be changed to mount the pump and the engine. Then the plumbing for fuel and electrical.

So yes, it may be possible, but would it be worth it in the end? Only you can call that one. Many have asked if a different powerhead could be mounted to the SportJet pump. Again, they attach different. For those of us that owned the bigger 240 EFI and 250 Opti, the common question was, if this thing took a dump, could we mount a Verado powerhead on the old pump.

Good luck!
I completely agree it would not be feasible to switch out the pump assembly. Too much to modify in the hull, too costly. Sure would be slick to have a gearbox and mounting system to go from the jet pump assembly to a 4Tec. I’ve owned a couple 4Tec skis and three older various 2 stroke Sea-Doo skis, 4Tecs seem to have a long lifespan. I’ll stop going down the rabbit hole if no one has heard of an adapter setup. Just thinking if I’m going to put the money in it i want the best setup that will last the longest. Thanks for your time and wisdom! Have a great day!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Another big question if in fact you did adapt a 4-tec or a Mercury Verado powerhead to the old pump. Any addition in HP, could overpower the size of the pump.

If I had the ability to drop a 300hp Merc Verado powerhead on a pump purposed for the 240EFI or 250 Opti, would it cavitate? More than likely yes. It's like when the Supercharged 1.8's were introduced. I do believe that is when the bigger pump was added. And if I am not wrong, when the 192 was replaced with the 195 in the 19' boats. Bigger pump was part of that equation I believe.

Oooh, the thoughts of a 300 Verado in my 2001 SeaDoo X20! WOW!! Even though I sold that boat with a perfectly good 240 EFI, and it has served the new owner two solid seasons, so far, I would call it an expensive time bomb.