• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SPOT vs inReach vs PLB vs EPIRB - What would you choose?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
SPOT is cheap to buy. Currently $75 after rebate. It uses the Globalstar simplex data network at 1.6 Ghz. It is water resistant when not connected to a charger. It has tracking capabilities so your family can watch your progress. It can run from 3.5 to 52 days on a set of batteries depending on frequency of tracking updates and having a clear view of the sky. Service is $150 per year with tracking and emergency signaling. It is $100 per year for emergency signaling only. Total cost for a year is around $225 for the Gen 3 and service. It needs a floating case.

inReach has more expensive hardware but offers Freedom Plans that can be paused. The hardware would cost at least $250 new then service would be around $60 for one month. So a minimum of $310 for a month of usage. Then $60 per year to use in one month in future years. The Iridium network is used. It allows for emergency communication and tracking. The battery life is around 4 days with 10 minute tracking updates. It is IP67 waterproof rated to 1 meter for 30 minutes. It needs a floating case. The unit has a LCD display and has maps on board. @Tyler used one last year and was happy with it.

ACR PLB-375 is a $260 PLB. It operates at 406 MHz and has 121.5 MHz homing capability. The battery has a 5 year shelf life. The battery should allow it to broadcast for 30 hours after activation. After usage the expensive battery must be replaced. It is not capable of transmitting tracking information. It is waterproof to 10 meters for 10 minutes. It needs a floating case. The 406 Mhz band has greater penetration of weather or buildings. This is the real deal for safety gear. There are no service fees. Battery replacement is more than $100 so around $20 a year.

EPIRBs start around $400. They are larger whole boat versions of ACRs. They typically float. They use the same frequencies and have similar battery life. I feel they are more than I need.

What do you guys recommend?

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I'm spending YOUR money, I'm going with the EPIRB!

Actually, it's the only one I have experience with, so I'll shut up now. ;)

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Go with the 406 EPIRB. There's no annual fee, just register with NOAA when it expires. If you use it for a few years it will pay for itself and be an easy thing to resell. If you are looking for spot on accurate life saving....ACR 406 is it.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I should say that battery changes can be expensive but maybe you'll sell it before it expires. Offhand I recall the batt change and recertification running around $175 plus shipping.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I should have added a little background to my initial question. We are planning to make a single boat crossing back from Bimini. We have a fixed VHF with DSC but would like something satellite based as well. We would only use the device one month per year. It would be cool to let family and friends track us but not at the expense of safety.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The personal locator beacon (PLB) is a good choice also.

I wouldn't want to pay for that tracking stuff either.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does that PLB float? If not I would attach it to one.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does that PLB float? If not I would attach it to one.
It does not. It would need a floating case. Most likely I would attach any of these devices to Emma's type 1 PFD.

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok..here's my worthless opinion. First off, get the ResQLink+. It floats and is like 2 dollars more on Amazon than the regular ResQLink.

http://www.amazon.com/ACR-PLB-375-ResQLink-Personal-Locating/dp/B006JXY0CQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434037554&sr=8-1&keywords=acr plb

You plan to use it just like me...to make the crossing to Bimini. EPIRB's are much more expensive and the only real difference is that it's battery will transmit for 48 hours. I guarantee the Coast Guard can find you in less than the 30 hours the PLB is good for. Cruising the Indian Ocean...go for the EPIRB. It also transmits at the same power level as the EPIRB. God forbid you need it...ACR replaces it for free! My recommendation is to avoid that offer. Plus, the PLB gives you the option to take it wherever you go...hiking, hunting, dinner with the in laws...any potentially life threatening situation. I just wasn't comfortable with the SPOT or InReach products for this situation. They offer some neat tracking features that I'd probably never use.

I am guilty of being a little paranoid...so I also bought a GlobalStar Sat phone. $300 bucks for 150 minutes with a year of service.

Last edited:

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had a SPOT device and now have the InReach. I got them for off road adventures in my Jeep but kept the InReach for possible boating use.

I did not care for the SPOT device as it did not allow for two way communications which would come in handy in case you need a rescue but you don't need a full cavalry. I had this happen once out on a trail miles from cell coverage and the ability to text would have been great to deal with a less than life threatening situation.

The InReach allows two way one the fly texting once paired to a phone and also provides GPS functionality to an iPad via bluetooth so you can use the iPad for a large screen plotter.

The monthly fee is annoying but the peace of mind is worth it if you go off the grid.

Last edited:

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Or just rent one if you only want it for the Bimini crossing.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We are planning to spend two weeks in Bimini. With the driving on each end we would have it for at least three weeks. At that point the rental cost is very close to buying.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ACR PLB-375 is a $260 PLB. It operates at 406 MHz and has 121.5 MHz homing capability. The battery has a 5 year shelf life. The battery should allow it to broadcast for 30 hours after activation. After usage the expensive battery must be replaced. It is not capable of transmitting tracking information. It is waterproof to 10 meters for 10 minutes. It needs a floating case. The 406 Mhz band has greater penetration of weather or buildings. This is the real deal for safety gear. There are no service fees. Battery replacement is more than $100 so around $20 a year.
ACR PLB is what I bought last year before our trip across. It gets my vote!

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well yea, 3 weeks is a long time to rent. Good for some peace of mind if doing a quick offshore jaunt once in a while. :thumbsup:

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK Bruce, I changed my mind.....after a little research (and I mean very little) I've determined that the guys are right about the PLB.

You see, when I did TransPac we had an EPIRB because basically you have to have one, still do. And these little PLB devices didn't exist then either, so I say get one of them.

@rkgdmd posted some good links...they are having a rebate or free accessories promotion that would make me buy one and I ain't even going to Bimini...:oops:

oh, I found this:
http://www.landfallnavigation.com/resqlink2881.html

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, its official then :)
Haha, yes Chief, you're steering him in the right direction, the question now is will he find some esoteric gizmo that none of us have heard of that does all this and cooks breakfast.....you know, with the eggs he keeps in that fancy refrigerator!:confused:

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Haha, yes Chief, you're steering him in the right direction, the question now is will he find some esoteric gizmo that none of us have heard of that does all this and cooks breakfast.....you know, with the eggs he keeps in that fancy refrigerator!:confused:
Probably, but if he uses a rational analysis ,"cost vs benefit" & takes into consideration how often he is expected to need it. The PLB is the winner. Of course he does have a BLACK AMEX...so...... :)