• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Stain Removal?

Rideitout

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Trying to remove this stain of unknown origin from a previous owner. I was hoping not to have to buy another cleaner/solvent so I tried what I had on hand:

Clorox ❌
Full strength bleach❌
La’s Totally Awesome ❌
Rubbing compound ❌
Acetone❌
Paint thinner❌
Mineral spirits❌
Starting fluid❌
Carb cleaner ❌
Gasoline❌
CLR❌
Goo Gone❌
Muriatic acid❌
Bar Keepers Friend Soft Cleanser❌
Davis FSR❌
Star Brite Bottom Cleaner❌
Star Brite instant cleaner gel❌
Comet❌
Cussing at it❌
Drinking beer then cussing at it❌

Rubbing compound with a drill brush attachment got most of it up but it required a lot of time. The before and after pics are from compounding it for about 4 hours.

Still taking suggestions on how to get the remainder removed.

Thank you!

671C76E4-C707-4A04-8BE4-5B0DC5CC883A.jpeg

Last edited:
I do have some in the shed. I was leaving that for the last option thinking it would be harsh on the gel coat. I may give it a shot.

Well that didn’t work either. I applied full strength muriatic acid and let it sit for a few minutes. Didn’t do anything. “After” pic attached.

Attachments

• E113DB0C-EACF-4766-9575-BBBF6CFA2309.jpeg
    E113DB0C-EACF-4766-9575-BBBF6CFA2309.jpeg
    403 KB · Views: 13
And u wiped it with a rag? If that doesn’t do it I have no clue.

Ask your local crime lab forensics unit for advice - see how they clean up a murder scene.

And u wiped it with a rag? If that doesn’t do it I have no clue.

I did. Maybe I’ll soak some rags with muriatic acid and let them sit on the stain for a while.

Ask your local crime lab forensics unit for advice - see how they clean up a murder scene.

I might give that a shot. I still have Bar Keepers Friend, Starbrite bottom cleaner and Davis FSR to try.

Hope it’s not the gelcoat itself that’s turned

I had some luck on bathroom sink counter with Bar Keepers Friend. I used liquid version, let it sit till it dried then removed cake/powder leftover. Took a few times to draw out the stain. Not sure on gel coat, but if you have it on hand I would. I don't think I would rub it on gelcoat though. Too gritty if I remember right.

I’m a big fan of bat keepers friend but normally acid is my go to chemical if bar keepers friend doesn’t work.

Tried these today and none of them touched it.

Bar Keepers Friend Soft Cleanser
Davis FSR
Star Brite Bottom Cleaner

Wow! If you put down sea deck / marine mat will it cover the area?

Last resort might be to use some medium cut polish and see if that stain is imbedded in the gelcoat. Not looking good…

You could always spay it white. Maybe not a great match but better than the stain.

Some good advice, I’ll keep trying. The SeaDek wouldn’t cover it all.

Making progress after a few hours of rubbing compound coupled with drill brush attachments.
Before and during pics.
77C7529D-B0D5-4439-AB5F-AE39A40375A5.jpeg
7CF6189D-39F6-4404-9AA1-5C4E09087A57.jpeg

Wow what a pain, looking more like the gelcoat itself has turned

Back