• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stainless Tire Mount

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Built a spare tire mount for the trailer. With the help of some guys at work (I can't weld). All stainless steel, this thing will probably outlast the trailer, the boat, the tire, etc. :)
IMG_20160728_172042483.jpg IMG_20160731_095440710.jpg IMG_20160731_095910426.jpg IMG_20160731_095934022.jpg

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any suggestions on a tire lock? I've been trying to think of something simple I could add (but would hopefully look nicer than just a cable and padlock)

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
On my previous trailer I used a hitch receiver lock pin similar to this one, https://www.etrailer.com/Locks/DeadBolt/7680.html , I put it through one of the unused holes on the spare tire.

Edit: This won't prevent them from removing the u-bolts then take the tire and mount. If thieves want something bad enough they will get it.

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is very true. I just had a "ohh duh" moment, I didn't even think how easy it would be to just unbolt the U bolts o_O

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You could install a bolt and lug nut that's would have a long enough end hanging out that would enable you to drill a hole and install a lock on it.

Also, to secure the ubolts to the trailer, simply tax-weld a tiny bead on the end of the threads. I do this on the end of the threads for two reasons. It enables you to loosen and adjust the mounting position if necessary. Also It enables you to cut the weld off with a saws-all and still be able to use the ubolt again.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is very true. I just had a "ohh duh" moment, I didn't even think how easy it would be to just unbolt the U bolts o_O
I had the same thought on my previous trailer, maybe that is why I have been slow to do something on my new trailer. After the "ohh duh" moment passed, I hoped whoever was looking to steal a spare tire would only have a lug wrench with them and/or not be smart enough to unbolt the mount.