• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Standing vs. sitting - you learn something new every day

soundshark

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My standard driving style has always been: sit down properly and tight as soon as you leave the no wake zone. I would only stand up for slow speed docking maneuvers.
And I was always bitching about the painful ride of my 19 footer in the chop.

This weekend, for the first time this season (this is my first boating season) I remained standing most of the time. I set the speed at around 6000 rpm, and used my legs to stay balanced.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here but what a difference it made! I had no issues with the waves, even when crossing another boat's wake.
See, when I'm sitting every single bump goes straight up my spine into my head. When I'm standing my leg muscles do all the suspension work and they work great!

OK, back to my cave now...

OK then

I'm a standup driver 97% of the time. The only reason I didn't get a Limited S was that when standing at the helm, my head touched the tower! Glad you found a new, more comfortable, way to cruise!

I stood up for the first time about 6 months after I had my boat, it did take a lot of the shock out and was very comfortable.
My normal position is sitting on the bolster or more like leaning against it. I very rarely actually sit all the way down in my seat anymore.

Standing is going to be a breeze now with the smooth as silk fly by wire throttles.

Standing also gives you a better view over the bow. You will better see any debris and can better read the waves/wakes.

Always stood.
SOMETHING TO NOTE: You cannot attach your lanyard for the kill switch properly to your life jacket that you are undoubtedly wearing when you are standing.
I try to at least put my leg around the line so that I have a chance to catch it or whatever.
What I DO do is if it's rough enough for me to have to sit, then everyone puts on jackets. Kids always have them on anyways, but seriously, I've only had this twice, but I was very serious about it.
But seriously consider that lanyard issue if you are experiencing any type of waves or other boats or ANYTHING. It's there for a reason, and by standing you are ignoring it.
Said my 2 cents. I stand too. :thumbsup::winkingthumbsup"

I attach the lanyard to my shorts securely. It's stretched out but works as needed. I also carry a Spot 3 messenger device on this attachment so if I fly overboard it comes with me.

I'm also a "stander". My windows always get sprayed and I get irritated trying to look through water spots. For me standing is a much better view in every case except hard rain. I used an old ID badge lanyard as an "extension" for the cut-off lanyard. That lets me clip to a belt or a lifejacket and still stand in the middle of the isle. If I fall down (which hasn't happened yet), it'll pull out the disconnect.

Short amusing story: I always sat in the LX210... it has no windshied. First time I spent a day in the 212X, I was standing for about four hours and hit a few rough patches. The next day I felt like I'd been beaten with a bag of soap. Took me a few days to figure out it was the balancing that was just using a bunch of muscles that aren't used to that much work. Now I tell the wife I have to take the boat out to stay in shape. ;)

The next day I felt like I'd been beaten with a bag of soap. Took me a few days to figure out it was the balancing that was just using a bunch of muscles that aren't used to that much work. Now I tell the wife I have to take the boat out to stay in shape. ;)

So true. I spent a season jet skiing every single weekend day and it gave me a proper workout. My leg muscles have never felt better (after getting through the initial beat ups).

I've always stood just so I can get a better view to watch for debris in the water. My only qualm is that I can't hear if my engines get out of synch.

I typically am standing up while driving. And......I got pulled over for standing up while driving two weeks ago. I got a written warning to be seated while driving the boat.

Is it law to sit?
maybe a state law?

I was given a written warning in Oklahoma by a State Trooper.

How are you supposed to dodge debris?
this warrabts further investigation!

I didn't ask too many questions. The trooper circled my boat 3 times before he came up to me. In that 3 times of circling me, I asked him what the problem was twice. Each time he responded to my question, he became more angry. So, at the point he finally told me why he stopped me, I was being overly nice and only responding when asked to respond. He explained that I had to have my butt touching the bolster, sitting or a knee or anything touching the seat or the bolster. He said that I could not simply stand up.

Funny thing is - the troopers in Oklahoma typically drive center console boats and I see the troopers driving them standing up all the time.

Wow, from a little google reasearch I found several states to differ on this! Some say it is better to sit, some say you must sit, some don't mention it, etc.
Check your local laws!

Thats a good point! The dnr here have little center console boats as well. There was a few states that had size restrictions on standing for the boat. Some state just a "small vessel".

If I'm in a bar or restaurant I always stand, but when it's the middle of the night at home and I get up from bed I sometimes.................Wait, what was this thread about again?

Back