• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Standing vs. sitting - you learn something new every day

I typically am standing up while driving. And......I got pulled over for standing up while driving two weeks ago. I got a written warning to be seated while driving the boat.
Did he list the law code? I would like to see that one in the books! I've driven vessels that don't have seats!

@farrelltravis That is bizarre. The only thing I found even remotely close in Texas is...

• Allowing passengers to ride on the bow, gunwale, transom, seat backs, seats on

raised decks, or any other place where there may be a chance of falling overboard

I was told years ago by a coworker taking the coast guard auxiliary safe boating course that it is acceptable to stand or sit in the chair, but not acceptable to sit on top of the seat back with his feet in the chair (which was his preferred position).

I never questioned it. I prefer to stand in the center of the boat. When towing, I tend to wedge myself against the bolster.

Never use the lanyard... tends to prohibit me from walking around the boat while underway :).
Steve

Stander....40 yrs until this boat

Did he list the law code? I would like to see that one in the books! I've driven vessels that don't have seats!
He did. However, I threw it away. I will try to search our state statutes and see if I can find it. I doubt I can find it, but I will give it a shot.

@farrelltravis That is bizarre. The only thing I found even remotely close in Texas is...

• Allowing passengers to ride on the bow, gunwale, transom, seat backs, seats on

raised decks, or any other place where there may be a chance of falling overboard
I thought it was really bizarre myself. I told the trooper, I had always heard that the drive could stand, but all passengers had to be sitting. He said, no, that is not the case. Everyone had to be seated.

I see passengers on cabin cruisers that violate what you put above all the time.

I prefer to stand or be on the bolster for better visibility. If the water is rough the knees will be hurting the next day.

§63-4210.6. Sitting and standing in vessel while under way.

No person shall sit or ride on the sides of any vessel or the back of any seat of a vessel while under way at any speed greater than idle or trolling speed; provided, however, the operator of such vessel may stand if said vessel is specifically designed to be operated from a standing position. No person shall sit or ride on the covered bow of any vessel while under way at any speed greater than idle or trolling speed unless such vessel is designed as such to allow access to the covered bow by way of side walkways or factory-equipped walk-through areas which are surrounded by life rails, deck rails, bow rails, or other such enclosure extending at least twenty-four (24) inches above the deck; provided, that no person riding in or operating a vessel shall extend any appendage over the edge of the vessel either above or below the rail if such vessel is at any speed greater than idle or trolling speed. No person shall stand on the covered bow of any vessel while under way at a speed greater than idle or trolling speed.

Added by Laws 1992, c. 284, § 49, eff. Jan. 1, 1993. Amended by Laws 2000, c. 317, § 1, emerg. eff. June 5, 2000.

You will note that despite the title, it never really says that you can't stand... I think the legislature messed up. I would fight it if this is the section cited for violation.

§63-4210.6. Sitting and standing in vessel while under way.

No person shall sit or ride on the sides of any vessel or the back of any seat of a vessel while under way at any speed greater than idle or trolling speed; provided, however, the operator of such vessel may stand if said vessel is specifically designed to be operated from a standing position. No person shall sit or ride on the covered bow of any vessel while under way at any speed greater than idle or trolling speed unless such vessel is designed as such to allow access to the covered bow by way of side walkways or factory-equipped walk-through areas which are surrounded by life rails, deck rails, bow rails, or other such enclosure extending at least twenty-four (24) inches above the deck; provided, that no person riding in or operating a vessel shall extend any appendage over the edge of the vessel either above or below the rail if such vessel is at any speed greater than idle or trolling speed. No person shall stand on the covered bow of any vessel while under way at a speed greater than idle or trolling speed.

Added by Laws 1992, c. 284, § 49, eff. Jan. 1, 1993. Amended by Laws 2000, c. 317, § 1, emerg. eff. June 5, 2000.

You will note that despite the title, it never really says that you can't stand... I think the legislature messed up. I would fight it if this is the section cited for violation.
What state is this statute from?

@farrelltravis I would guess Texas.
So while on Texoma you'll have to make sure you are seated on the Oklahoma side and feel free to stand as you wish on the Texas side. ;)

@farrelltravis I would guess Texas.
So while on Texoma you'll have to make sure you are seated on the Oklahoma side and feel free to stand as you wish on the Texas side. ;)
Pearce, you crack me up!

98% stander. Back of my calves get cut up from the bar on the limited S!

Back