• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starboard motor wont start!!

Steve B71

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Needing help!!! We took our 2012 AR210 to the lake. Boat started rightup and seem to run fine, seemed a little sluggish and only hitting about 30ish mph.. I noticed the RPM,s on the Starboard side where running about 6800 while the portside was hitting roughly 8500. We landed the boat at the campsite and shit everything off, even the bilge pump so I didn't run the battery down... After a few hrs we decided to go back to dock, motors had hard time starting. Finally firing and we headed back then the Starboard motor shut off and wouldn't restart. Limped back with only portside motor going. Tried to restsrt the motor back at ramp but still nothng.. Checked battery and it was good, checked oil on the portside engine and it was milky, checking starboard oil assuming the same but it wasn't milky at all but seemed watered down. Can anyone give me some insight as I am new to jet boats. TIA

@Steve B71 Was there water in the bilge? Up to the air filters?

Milky oil is bad news unfortunately. Means you have water in the oil so you need to find the cause. Did you take on a lot of water lately?

Re the starboard engine, what do you mean by watered down?

Attachments

• 20210808_190155.jpg
    20210808_190155.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
Milky oil is bad news unfortunately. Means you have water in the oil so you need to find the cause. Did you take on a lot of water lately?

Re the starboard engine, what do you mean dipstick showed oil halfway up the

When I take out dipstick the oil laterally drips off the stick, the oil was halfway up the stick as well. It wasn't like that when I checked earlier that morning when I checked prior to taking the boat out.

Re the starboard engine, what do you mean by watered down?
We where tubing prior to stopping and having lunch and swimming around. That was about 3 hrs or so.

No it didn't get high It did however higher then the black hose on bottom.

Hard to tell from the pic but it looks to me that the black hose is pretty high. Did you take on a lot of water? That would explain why the port engine oil is milky and might even explain why the stbd one won’t start.

I’d change the oil in both engines as soon as possible and also take the plugs out of the stbd one and crank the engine and see if any water comes out

Hard to tell from the pic but it looks to me that the black hose is pretty high. Did you take on a lot of water? That would explain why the port engine oil is milky and might even explain why the stbd one won’t start.

I’d change the oil in both engines as soon as possible and also take the plugs out of the stbd one and crank the engine and see if any water comes out
It was quite high in my opinion. Higher then ive ever seen it in the past. We where tubing prior to stopping the boat to swim and have lunch. It was about 3 hrs or so. The bilge was turned off when we stopped so It wouldn't kill my battery.

What oil do ya recommend since i have to drain the oil. It's a 2012 AR210.

What oil do ya recommend since i have to drain the oil. It's a 2012 AR210.
Cheap your going to have to drain it more than once.

K mart or any auto parts store 10-40 oil till its clear

Thx Dj, how about the oil filter when draining the oil??

How did all the water get in there
Idk that's what I'm also trying to figure out. all the plugs where closed and tight prior to putting in the water.

Idk that's what I'm also trying to figure out. all the plugs where closed and tight prior to putting in the water.
Has the boat run on only one motor at a speed faster than no wake.

Regardless, right now job 1 is getting that old, contaminated oil out and new oil in both engines.

Then I would pull the plugs on the one that won't start and crank it to make sure there is no water in there.

Then run on hose and see if milkiness reappears. If it is just a little, rechange oil. If it is a lot and a lot more oil there (e.g. lots of water came in from the hose), let us know and we need to regroup on diagnosing a crack in your head or block... (bad). Once you get that oil back to not getting milky any more, you need to run that boat hard to drive off the rest of the water--get it nice and hot.

Back