• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

starter problem?

bkkevinbk

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Hello All - Problem with starting the Portside motor began intermittently about 6 months ago - you just had to turn the key a few times before it made contact and the engine would start right up but completely dead (no crank at all) until you tried it one or two times. I could hear clicking at the black box in the back so just assumed the starter relay was giving out which of course I never got around to replacing until the engine would not start at all (present time). When it finally died - I was blowing the 20 amp fuse under the round lid as soon as the engine tried to crank. I have checked the battery and connections, hatch kill switches, ignition switches, changed both ignition coils, and starter relay. The only difference is now the 20 amp fuse blows immediately but the engine will crank but not start as long as you keep the key on. My next step was going to be to replace the starter but after combing through the forums - I am thinking it might actually be a stuck impeller or something else preventing the starter from turning freely and causing the fuse to blow. Is that possible? I'm going to try and check that the impeller spins next time I'm at the lake (after freeing the stuck plug). In the meantime - is there anything else I should try or parts I should buy before my next attempt at repair?

I am debating whether to go ahead and pull the engine and replace the starter but from what I've read on the forums - it now seems unlikely the starter is my actual problem. I have also seen a few references to how "easy" it is to pull the engine but if it is anything like getting access to the starter relay - it can't be that easy. Does anyone have a write up or description of how to pull the engine? How much should it cost for a Yamaha dealer to replace the starter? Thanks for any help!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @bkkevinbk

That's a bummer. Hopefully you'll figure it out soon. I do remember recently reading about one member who had a similar intermittent problem starting his port engine. His turned out to be caused by the main power cables that we're coming from battery to starter. Apparently Yamaha routed them too close to the pump shaft and they were almost completely worn through. I'm sure somebody with more info about that case will chime in soon, but you could check the routing of those cables on your boat. Hope you get it running soon.

Keep us posted on what you find.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MOA_Chaser had a similar problem... check his threads...

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That was me. The cables were routed underneath the plastic shield over the shaft coming out of the rear of the port engine. If not that, check the voltage coming out of the starter solenoid in the black box. My solenoid was fried but I'm sure it was from the cables shorting out against the driveshaft. It was intermittent all summer and only completely gave out Sunday.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pull your pump and then try starting. If it starts then you may need to check your impeller housing, it may be swollen and locked the impeller up.

bkkevinbk

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Checked the cables and impellers and found no issues. Finally just took it to a Yamaha jet ski dealer near the lake and they swapped the ECM and the problem moved to the other engine - hopefully $1300 plus labor will keep it fixed for a while! Of course the ECM is on backorder for 6 weeks. Thanks for the input!