• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starter Relay Diagnostics

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, I just replaced the starboard starter relay with one from DBElectrical via Amazon... and I learned something I wish I knew ahead of time.

The Electrical box has a 4 screw panel in the front that lets you access the positive battery cable powering the computer, in addition the other cable is the positive that goes to the starter...these are both bolted onto the starter relay, (which can't be removed through this window). This window is accesible without removing the ECU from the 4 big nuts in the bilge.

So to easily troubleshoot, without removing the computer, you can bridge these 2 connections and if the starter cranks fine, then you know for sure the starter relay or a related system is involved in the problem. If the starter does not spin correctly after bridging, the issue is NOT the starter relay, since all the relay does is connect these two exposed cables when it receives the signal to crank.

The little window is quite visible and accessible. I had a brief scare that I had opened everything for nothing, as the relay I removed bench tested fine, but it could NOT handle the high load of the starter. I tested by touching these two wires together and the stater spun fine with no issues, so it was the relay after all.

Also, if the starter relay ever leaves you stranded, this is a doable procedure on the water...4 screws, remove the cap, expose screws, bridge the screws with the boat in the ON position, and engine has a chance to start and take you home, if the issue was the relay. Not ideal, but may be an option depending on your circumstances.

Anyway, hope it helps someone.

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great info. Looks like I'll have to put a small piece of #10 wire in the tool box for jumping purposes. A screwdriver or a jump box would also work.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
HA! I'm currently using the same procedure to start my truck every 4th time I get in it, thank goodness it's a Ford so it's on the wheel well,

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is what the window looks like. My post is so old I could not edit it to add them. Not my picture, pulled from a boat for sale.

Attachments

Whiskey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe this is the correct solonoid. Can anyone confirm?

Starter Solenoid Relay 1998-2014 Yamaha Motorcycle 4YR-81940-00-00

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Whiskey

Jet Boat Addict