• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starter Relay replacement?

YamahaCC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
My '06 SR210 was acting up a few times last year when starting it. Every now and then one of the engines would not turn over (no click, nothing) acting like it was not in Neutral. Moving the trottle/shift back and forth a couple times would then allow it to turn over and start. I had my tech replace both Neutral safety switches this fall when it was winterized as that is the most likely cause but I also ordered in two Starter Relays.

Has anyone here replaced theirs yet?

It looks like they are located behind/inside the fuse box - curious how much of a pain they are to access given what looks like it has to be taken apart.

I would rather replace these two now then I don't have to worry about that being the problem either this year.

Thanks!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If your electrical box is like that of the mr-1s, the hard part is to get to it, replacement is easy, but the electrical box must be unbolted from the boat and opened.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would try to wiggle the ground connection on the starter. It might need to be cleaned. It is a little hard to reach, also.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Also, I did the relay as a last resort. I had a problem of it being intermitently not working so I went through the starter and connections and everything first. I ended up taking the whole ecu box out to examine it when I did it. Not necessary to completely unhook everything BUT PLEASE UNHOOK the batteries first!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Unfortunately most of the pictures I took of the process are on an old computer and I need to take the hard drives out and consolidate things.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
First, pull the starter out and check on a battery by running wires to it. It should spin up pretty quick. If not, then starter. They can be rebuilt, or you can buy a new one on Ebay for pretty cheap and they are decent.
As for the relay, don't do it without pulling the starter out and testing that first. It's not as hard as it looks. I used a mirror under the exhaust on the engine bay and had a few lights in there to make sure I could see everything, which I still couldn't. Thank Yamaha for making the top of the engine flat!
But back to the relay...
It's a pain in the rear, and you have to cut all the zip ties that go all over the engine in order to get it out. You have to unbolt the ECM from the exhaust side, so just take the whole stinking tray out. Not the small one, the big one where you have your clean out plugs. Be sure to just unscrew the door, then unscrew the kill switches, and then the drain. Lift the whole thing out and put to the side so you can work in there.
Then, you'll need someone helping you, or a lot of patience to put a wrench on the front and back and try and get it undone.
Take the ECM out and lay it on top of the engine. This is where you can take the ECM apart and see what's going on in there. Not to hard at this point really. You will need to replace it, but it all just bolts in and out.
I say it's not hard, but I do a decent amount of working under cars, so I guess my version of hard isn't the same as most.
I would recommend taking a whole Saturday to do it though.
In the picture, it's at the top right of the box, which would be the bottom right when mounted to the Wall.
I will see if I can find all the old pictures and stuff and do a write up for ya'll... Warning, I have like 20 pictures, lol
Yamaha 6B6-81940-00-00 - . .Starter Relay Assy | Boats.net

DSC01045.JPG

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does your electrical box have a small window with 4 Phillips screws?

You can get to the relay connections via that window and bridge the relay to test before you do the whole job to confirm that's your problem.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

YamahaCC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I have checked the connections at the starter/grounds/battery (all last year before the neutral safety switches were replaced this fall). As of now it could really only be the starter or the relay (if the problem were to surface again). To keep things easy I am just going to swap the relays. At this point I am not looking to remove the starter, however I might order one in just to have it on hand. If I remove it I will just replace it. The season is too short to waste time.

This is the location of the relays on mine (#12):
relay.JPG

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is your engine the kind with the electrical box on the side? Like this?

That should make this change easier than it is for the SX230s because the computer is much more accessible. At least I hope so! The job itself was not complex on mine, just lots of screws, but a drill driver made quick work of it.

Replacing the relay seems a wise next step based on your comments. In addition to a spare relay, I also have a spare starter in my garage, so I like your idea, no judgement here!

Best of Luck!

Fitzy2007

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am having a similar problem with my 2007 SX210- any chance there is a video on how to check/change the relay?