• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starter replacement Mr1

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My terminology above might be misleading. But here’s the parts diagram of the GENERATOR. Part # 3 is the idler gear that is in direct contact with the starter. Part #4 is referred to as the ONE WAY STARTER something or other ;) that is connected to the main crank.
7A30BDC8-4946-4954-A541-CC56561ADCAE.png 7885FC5D-5F9F-49D6-9EA5-311B130B484F.png

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The bendix is internal. It is located under the magneto housing.
When you say internal, do you mean within the engine? Is that where the magneto housing is?
Thank You
Tom

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you say internal, do you mean within the engine? Is that where the magneto housing is?
Thank You
Tom
It’s under the magneto housing cover. The cover is essentially the front case cover which also has the engine mounts attached to it.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
C1865896-3C77-4CB4-A817-A3259C957E08.jpeg 084EFBAE-0075-4746-A60B-87592605462B.jpeg 29195A81-7337-450C-90D1-E9B7E4EB7F78.png

Part #13 in the second pic. “Flywheel cover

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK, Now I got it. Thank You. You've been a big help!

Thank You, Itsdgm

Tom

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry, my seadoo starter experience did not translate to Yamaha!!!

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would go eBay or sbt before paying $400 for a starter.
Thank you Marvin, I think I will next time. I'm not thrilled with Yamaha Sports Plaza. I paid extra to have the starter shipped pronto and just found out it's gonna take longer because they shipped it UPS. What is "SBT"?

Thanks,
Tom

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
SBT (Short Block Technologies, sbt.com) is a company that sells rebuilt motors, starters, etc.

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
SBT (Short Block Technologies, sbt.com) is a company that sells rebuilt motors, starters, etc.
Thank You Spatty 99

I will definitely look into that company. Even if it's not cheaper, maybe I'll get things on time!!!

Thank You,
Tom

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you Marvin, I think I will next time. I'm not thrilled with Yamaha Sports Plaza. I paid extra to have the starter shipped pronto and just found out it's gonna take longer because they shipped it UPS. What is "SBT"?

Thanks,
Tom
That sucks when you pay for expedited shipping and it means that instead of processing the order for normal 3 days it takes 1 day but they still ship it the same way and it arrives in 5 days instead of 7.

Tom Duignan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That sucks when you pay for expedited shipping and it means that instead of processing the order for normal 3 days it takes 1 day but they still ship it the same way and it arrives in 5 days instead of 7.
Don't understand your reply!! I ordered the starter on May 31 st and was promised a delivery date of June 6 th and paid extra. Recently found that they made a mistake and I have to wait until June 11th.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't understand your reply!! I ordered the starter on May 31 st and was promised a delivery date of June 6 th and paid extra. Recently found that they made a mistake and I have to wait until June 11th.
The point was that sometimes you pay extra for expedited shipping, which means that you pay extra for them to ship earlier in the normal process vs. shipping earlier and shipping 2 day or next day etc. If expedited shipping is 7 days what is normal shipping? Amazon has set the bar pretty high these days.

Whiskey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Marvin willis Thanks for posting this!

For anyone else puzzled where the starter is located it's towards the front of the MR-1 on the starboard (drivers) side. I don't know how I got the impression it was on the rear starboard side but after an hour with a mirror and searchign the engines I've realized that it's definately on the front starboard. :winkingthumbsup" :banghead:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice picture. How hard is it to get the wrench on those 2 bolts while the exhaust is still attached?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
10 minutes to change the starter!!!! Thanks so much for the tips, but that was still almost two hours of downward dog!! Needed to fashion a piece of PVC as well to bang the starter in from the back. It was not going easily.
How did you get the starter lined up to go back in. I can't get the bolt holes lined up to the motor??