• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering cables

Shta

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyone else have problems?? I have a 2017 Yamaha 24’ limited S jet boat and need my steering cables replaced already. It was tight steering from the beginning but was told that it will loosen up. Now at the end of last season I was told by the mechanic that I would need them replaced. Asked then if under warranty and they said no ( even though I have extended warranty). Asked then if I can get another year and they said yes. Lost half of my turning ability to the port side near the end of season. Took to get winterized and cables replaced and again was told not covered so I asked why. Was told that normal wear and tear is not covered. I asked how after only two years there can be normal wear and tear. Was given many lines of bs. Am still in a fight with Yamaha. I am looking to see if anyone else is having trouble with their cables and if you were able to get them covered. Thanks!!

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Cable replacement is a Specific Exclusion per the Warranty Terms:

“SPECIFIC EXCLUSIONS
THIS Y.E.S. RENEWAL CONTRACT DOES NOT COVER:

cables, hoses, fuses, spark plugs, batteries, replacement filters, light bulbs, impeller, impeller liner and intake grille, mats, bumpers, body seals or gaskets, anodes, control a mechanical breakdown.”

I was unsuccessful getting Warranty coverage on my Cables. Fortunately other members of this forum have so well documented the cable replacement procedure(s) that it is a fairly straight forward and inexpensive repair.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Fortunately other members of this forum have so well documented the cable replacement procedure(s) that it is a fairly straight forward and inexpensive repair.
The new cables are a pair and they don't look cheap in the past members have posted info of how to buy them direct . Please keep us posted on your course of action . I have had a some success hooking up a tube with light weight oil clamping it on and pressurizing the oil to force it up the cable. They seem to feeze up over winter storage if you don't move them every 2-3 weeks. The 2005 AR230 had the original steering cables when sold last year used in salt water

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On an older boat I tried experimenting a way to get longer life out of the cables by trying to use a "door wire loom" to cover the cable /sheath water entry point. I filled it with some grease and secured it with 2 opposing cable ties.
They don't sell this one anymore, but there are others that are similar.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TVHQC2/

It worked well while I had it but I sold the boat within a year, so I don't know how much it helped or hindered...my thought was to keep the marine grease in place and prevent water from washing out the grease, and entering the cable.

Since you've had such bad experience, may be worthwhile to consider trying something radical.

Best of Luck!

Shta

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the responses, I am giving the supervisor one more day to reach out to me then going to call again for some higher. Will keep you posted.

Jeel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess i should feel lucky that i had the original throttle and steering cables on my 06 when i sold it in 2019

Shta

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That’s awesome, I don’t expect them to last that long but less than two years is just not right.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Shta do you boat in salt water ? Do you leave the boat over night In the water ? Winter storage is it just wrapped and left outside in freezing temperatures ?

trying to give others some idea of what could be contributing to the cable failure . We just dipped into our first freeze and I just went out to check my cables by grabbing the rudder then pulling and pushing it felt normal I was checking for potential water frozen in the cable . The shift gates on the e series have a release switch that was activated for winter storage they had a decent amount of resistance before they moved which leads me to believe they had some water in them that froze. I will be attaching clear hoses with some liquid wrench and thin oil to the ends of the cables to hopefully allow some lubrication.

Shta

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve used the boat in salt water less than 5% in two years, left in fresh water overnight twice and it is winterized by the dealer and opened up by the dealer every year.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wow fresh water and having problems . You mentioned it was tight from the beginning maybe someone kinked the cable during the install or could the jet nozzles have some type of casting defect or assembly issue creating binding . You could check the nozzles by disconnecting the steering cables a few bolts removed and you could check the operation of the nozzles to see if anything is binding. Follow the steering cable it passes through some areas that could possibly pinch the cable or it it has a sharp bend this could cause binding. Warranty’s are good for catastrophic failure but a dealer will be reluctant to troubleshoot something that they will not be reimbursed for.