• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering is Frozen

Yes, great advice. I was not actually referring to flight controls though (or airliners). Specifically Hawker fuel transfer cables have frozen after 3 hours at 410. Or consider a 172 for that matter where moist air is quickly replaced by a crazy cold front (on the ground) and condensation freezes cables to pulleys...you get the idea. In the case of transfer cables, initial checks and lube at ends/linkages temporarily helped but they cables ultimately needed to be replaced. My point was mostly that such cold temps can easily create new issues not seen above freezing. While I have no functional problems with my cables; I feel pretty confident putting my boat in sub zero would create a temporary problem until thawed proving to me my cables are no where near new; just getting the job done with no symptoms in my more friendly environment.

While prepping for the season today, I did take a close look at the steering cables. I exercised them back and forth quickly. The starboard cable did "pump" a few drops of water out. It would have been enough to freeze and possibly lock it up. I will add the steering wheel exercise to my post recovery procedures. Good idea.

@Seadeals ... And throw some grease on that bad boy after the exercise...better yet, keep a ring of grease around the rubber boot and on the pushrods of the steering and throttle cables...that is your layer of protection. Like I mentioned, when they start taking on water regularly, it is only a short time until the cable linings will be damaged enough to justify a change. It is only my opinion, but I don't think lubing them to free them up will help very long.

Well, Santa did not bring them; but I just ordered new steering cables. I used grease all season but it didn't stop water ingress. Only the starboard cable was taking on water but at 10 years old I figure changing both are a good idea. Thanks for the advice a while back @txav8r . I made it through the seasons with the precautios. I am looking forward to the install now that the engines are fogged and the tank is topped for the winter. As in other posts I bought the teleflex p/n directly to avoid the Yamaha markup (ssc21916 starboard and ssc21917 port). The cable p/n is ssc219 and the 16 is for 16 feet, 17 for 17 feet.

We could always use another good install thread! Good luck on it. You will probably ask yourself why you didn't do this instead of trying to extend them, but the attempt is admirable!

Back