• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering Not Equal?

dreinertuwm

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Hi,

We Just took our new 252s for the first time yesterday and quickly realized the concern of “where is straight”.

Looking at it today to put a marker on the wheel for straight I realized there‘s no alignment to straight in relation to the spokes or the logo and it’s not equal to anything at all but more oddly…first time on the jet boat is that turning the wheel from straight position to full LEFT is ~60% of a full rotation; going back to center to full RIGHT is about 90% of a full rotation.

Looking at the nozzles you can also see they are less angled physically as well….less on the side with the anode bars…

So, totally normal or something to have looked at at the 10hr service?

I looked around a bit and didn’t actually see anything abmoral or directly interfering and am wondering if it’s the idea around propeller rotation and pitch.

Thanks for any insights!

Pretty common, I have people center their wheel , their nozzles and their rudder when they put my steering systems on the boats because the factory seldom has them dialed in.
First I have them disconnect the steering cables from the nozzles then turn the wheel all the way to the right , place a piece of tape on top of the wheel then turn it all the way to the left and place a piece of tape on top of the wheel now rotate the wheel to the right so the 2 pieces of tape are evenly close to pointing to the floor.
Now one of the spokes in the wheel should be close to pointing down and bring that spoke to the bottom center, then secure the wheel so it won't move and get someone to hold a long level across the 2 open nozzles touching all 4 edges evenly, then readjust the steering cables to match back up to the holes on the steering arms and reattach the cables then check your rudder and realign it so it is at a 90 degree angle to the back of the boat do this using the adjustments on the tie rod.
When I have them do the steering I also have them balance out the tie rods since I add the second one to the setup and I then have them extend the 2 tie rods 1/2 turn out only ONE end of each rod beyond where the bolt holes are perfectly aligned with the nozzle and the rudder mounting holes and with that 1/2 turn out on one end of each tie rod it positions the outside super fins at a slight angle inward towar4d the front of the boat to make the boat track straight at speed because the leading edges are slightly closer than the trailing edges so it cuts through the water nice and straight.
years ago Yamaha used different pitch impellers to deal with non counter rotating impellers but they stopped doing that for some unknown reason.

Back