• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering pulling hard

Cabin2010

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
Any ever have their 195 start pulling hard.to one side? This just started happening and it's a.bitch keeping her heading in line.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
A few members have posted that their boats pulled to one side before. But I don't remember seeing any conclusion as to what was the cause.

Our boats are pretty simple when it comes to this problem (not quite the same for dual engines, more complex in that case). But since yours is a single engine...

Possibilities I can think of include (in order of likelihood based on personal opinion):

- Debris caught on the intake grate.
To Do: look for weeds/sticks on the intake grate.
- Neutral adjustment isn't correct and your bucket isn't clearing the jet nozzle when in full forward.
To Do: check to see when it's full forward if the bucket is completely clear of the net nozzle. The thrust should not be able to touch the edge of the bucket. Sometimes, members have a poor neutral which is a symptom of this issue.
- Reverse bucket is tilted because a bolt is broken/missing/etc. or even the bucket is cracked.
To Do: inspect the bucket and movement. Shift to forward, neutral, reverse and observe the bucket in each position. Look for cracks in the powder coating, look for missing bolts/nuts. Make sure it can only move up/down, no twisting motion.
- Jet nozzle is shifting due to a broken/missing/etc. bolt.
To Do: on the jet nozzle, check above and below it and you'll see bolts/nuts. Make sure they are both present and secure. Jet nozzle should only move left/right and no up/down motion.
- Some other hull item that's causing excessive drag on the pulling side. Like hull damage, ride plate, other.
To Do: inspect the bottom of the hull. Look for any protrusions on the pulling side. One thing I had with my 165 was that sometimes, certain tough weeds would get caught between the ride plate and the hull and wedge itself in there. I applied some sealant in that crack so that it can't happen anymore.

Hopefully this gets you started.