• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering question

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So I have the boat up on the lift. Yesterday I went to turn the wheel from right to left, left to right. Its was smooth initially, then got stiff. I put some more into it and it made a "popping" sound then continued to finish the turn smoothly. This happened in both directions. The popping sound came from under the boat by the steering/nozzle area. Any thoughts ?

the nozzles should turn easily by hand from the back of the boat so perhaps you need to turn the nozzles from the back and see if something is hanging up

You can also have someone turn the wheel while you look at the back of the boat from the dock to see what is happening

Maybe debris was in the way of the nozzle?

ill check it soon, have the old lady turn the wheel while i look

I hope "The Old Lady" is the name of your boat mechanic....I had a friend get clobbered once for using that :confused: ...jus' sayin' :D

Found out the problem. My right side TVXL was messed up. The support bracket between the two fins along with the support pole came unattached from the right fin. So when I turned one of the fins was hitting a part of the undercarraige, then bending a little then finally clearing it. So I guess my observation made some sense for once lol. Anyway does anyone know the size of the screw that go through the fin into the support pole and bracket. Its a simple fix, just simply screw it back on and good as new. I know they are tiny but I dont want to take off the other ones on the other fin just to get the size. And while I am at it, add a little extra Lock-Tite.

On another note, is this gunk by the back area something I need to worry about ?? (Not sure what the area is officially called)

BOAT 1.jpg

Yeah. Pull it out. It's the extra sealant from the bui

Sorry... Build. Excess sealant between hull and exhaust thruhull.

Sorry... Build. Excess sealant between hull and exhaust thruhull.

I had the exact same sealant come out of my exhaust a year ago. Kinda freaked me out too but just as everyone said, just excess and nothing to worry about.

Another thing you may want to do on your steering is get a good spray grease and where the ligaments on the back side of your instrument panel. A couple of years ago mine started sounding like ball-bearings back there...now it's a normal part of my maintenance and the steering is MUCH easier. I also apply the same grease to the shift linkages whenever the boat is out of the water.

Back