• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering Rattle

pete4180

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi guys, I need your help again. I just put my AR190 in the water for the first time. After running in it for a while I've noticed a rattle sound coming from my steering wheel while going straight at high RPM. That sound goes away when I turn left or right but it comes back while going straight again. It's nice and quite at slow speed, no wake mode. Any ideas??

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could it be the cables vibrating? I would suggest pulling up the square floor hatch and putting all the cables in a pool noodle. (Just slit the side) It could just be NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) your cables could be rubbing and vibrating and that what you're hearing/feeling. Try a quick fix before calling the dealer.

pete4180

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Something is definitely vibrating while going straight. When I turn the wheel, put some load on the steering wheal that noise goes away. I looked at the jet drive steering connection when the boat was out of the water and there's a small play at the linking rod connection. Not sure if that's normal.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Small play is normal. I have about 1/8 to 1/4" of play in the linkage. Im thinking its the linkage cable vibrating against the hull all the way to the wheel.

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Make sure your reverse gate is adjusted properly. The gate needs to move out of the stream when in forward.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with @Murf'n'surf You might need to raise the reverse gate slightly.

pete4180

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks, I'll try all that tomorrow

pete4180

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I took it back to the dealer for my 10hr service. They adjusted steering and reverse cables, there was too much play. Annoying rattle noise went away :)