• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Steering Wheel Rust (New Boat)

David.Parrish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I have a new 2021 255XD that I got this past August. Already have over 50 hours on it. It is stored in a boatel and meticulously cleaned after each outing. This includes washing down the entire boat (inside and outside), drying the boat, flushing the engines with Salt Away, etc.

I was out on the boat yesterday and while sitting in the bow seating, I noticed the rust on the backside of the steering wheel. This seems odd to me - both with the boat being so new, and the cleaning regimen mentioned above. There is also zero rust anywhere else on the boat that I can see/find - not even any of the snaps/hinges. I went looking after noticing this.

Question 1 - anyone else have this problem?
Question 2 - anyone have any recommendations on a way to remove it and protect the back of the steering wheel to try to keep this from happening again?

When I cleaned the boat yesterday, I soaped it really well, and tried to remove it, but only had a wash mitt and towel - so that didn't do much to get it off...

IMG_7643.PNG

Last edited:
Thats a big bummer. I would use neverdull to remove rust, if it isnt pitted it should come right out.
After its gone use some metal protectant

I would let the dealer know, that shouldn't be happening in a month and a 1/2.

50 hrs since August, not bad?sounds like you are enjoying it.

Hard to tell, but if that is a chrome finish, the wheel is toast. Corrosion like that gets underneath the chrome, will rust, and proceed to continue to flake the chrome off. You can remove it all up front, but it will keep coming back over and over. It's not the chrome that's rusting, it's the substrate.

If it's stainless (yes, it can actually pickup free iron and rust/tarnish), polish it and then place a protectant over it.

Gee, there shouldn't be what appears to be chrome plated steel spokes to begin with...

Gee, there shouldn't be chrome plated steel spokes to begin with...

Agreed. Highly chicken shit if it's chrome. If so, Yamaha is really cutting corners these days. Hell, the wheel on my AR195 is stainless even. I'd expect a higher end boat to get better treatment.

Reminds me of hen I was boat shopping for the first time, knowing nothing about a "boat", just my PWC, as I was already a 5 year owner. I remember looking at the Tahoe brand at BassPro, (just a starting point then), models that were under the outdoor covered show area. New boats with rusting hardware, most likely not 305, or 316 grade stainless.
I edited my above post as you were quoting it.

Sheeesh!!!! not only is it not good SS they did not even bother to sand the saw blade cutting marks before the bent it to shape.............poor QC control.

I would let the dealer know, that shouldn't be happening in a month and a 1/2.

50 hrs since August, not bad?sounds like you are enjoying it.
Yeah, we have been running the hell out of it! It's a great boat so far - aside from this!

And yes, I will definitely be letting the dealer know.

Hard to tell, but if that is a chrome finish, the wheel is toast. Corrosion like that gets underneath the chrome, will rust, and proceed to continue to flake the chrome off. You can remove it all up front, but it will keep coming back over and over. It's not the chrome that's rusting, it's the substrate.

If it's stainless (yes, it can actually pickup free iron and rust/tarnish), polish it and then place a protectant over it.
Woof! Let's hope that isn't the case - but that definitely makes more sense now that you mention it. I will be back to the boat tomorrow. Going to have a conversation with the dealer and try to get it cleaned up as much as possible. I wonder if this would be a valid warranty claim?

Thats a big bummer. I would use neverdull to remove rust, if it isnt pitted it should come right out.
After its gone use some metal protectant
I will be giving this a shot tomorrow - fingers crossed! Appreciate all the help from everyone!

Back