• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

"Stereo comm error" after audio upgrade

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Went out on my maiden voyage this past Sunday and while my new audio system sounds good (new speakers, a sub, and a pair of amps) I'm getting a "Stereo comm error" on the Connext home screen and an "Audio unit off" message on the media screen. The stereo comm error can be silenced but it comes back every five minutes which is annoying as hell. I have lost all audio controls through the Connext system (can't access the radio, adjust the volume, pair my phone via bluetooth) but I can connect my iphone using the helm USB and play music. When I picked up the boat from the audio guy that installed the upgrades I was inside the boat while him and my girlfriend were standing outside of it. He was streaming music via bluetooth so I couldn't hear everything that he was saying but my girlfriend swears he said something about not having full control of the audio system through Connext but I didn't hear this. Subsequent texts to audio guy have gone mostly unanswered but the did reply that the stereo comm error should go away when the ignition switches are turned to the engine start positions but it does not. My trim tabs were installed after the audio upgrade so there was additional electrical work done before I got on the boat for the first time so that may complicate the troubleshooting process.

I can control the radio/volume via the swim deck remote but it won't pair with my phone which would allow me to use the Polk Marine app to control all of the audio functions.

At this point I can listen to the radio but can only change the channels and volume on the swimdeck remote which is not practical when underway. I can connect my phone via USB but can not control the volume.

I found some threads on this that offer up some ideas:

My tachs work (eliminates possible radio canbus issue?) and are reporting accurate speeds and will check all connections when I get back on it this weekend. If this stuff doesn't work it looks like the next step is to disconnect the wire on the back of swim deck remote.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If your radio has the NMEA 2k connection wire in the back of the unit, it might have been left off when the upgrades were being done?

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If your radio has the NMEA 2k connection wire in the back of the unit, it might have been left off when the upgrades were being done?
That’s a good point and I’ll be checking it out this weekend. :)

Humbeglez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That’s a good point and I’ll be checking it out this weekend. :)
Hello. I am having the same issue here, all of the sudden I started having this beep and the stereo comm error in the connect screen, the the audio off, and not modicum at all, someone here helped me and told me to run a positive and a ground wire directly from the battery to the Polk head unit, which I did, now I have sound, but still have that beep and cannot control anything from the connect screen as you described, did you happen to solve yours? I would appreciate your help! Thanks.