• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Stereo help

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New to me 2018 AR240.

Looks to be OEM stereo with the addition of a Wetsounds sound bar on the tower. There is no sound coming out the port side speakers or the sound bar.

Not at all a stereo guy here. Looks like everything is plugged in under the Helm, checked the balance between left and right side speakers.

Not sure what else to check. Maybe the wiring at each speaker. The sound bar won't even power up when pushing the power button on the sound bar.

Any ideas?

I just replaced my OEM head unit on my FSH. Toasted 2 right speakers and was getting 0 volts a 0 volume and @ Volume 1 I was getting -14v or something of that nature with red to red etc etc. Left side was normalish. I opted for SKAR speakers and a JBL PRV-275 and there was a significant increase in quality w/o an additional amp. I like the volume knob on the unit as well. I am guessing you have a standard DIN config so The JBL isnt what you are looking for. Lots of info on the forums if you search around. My OEM unit had condensation inside on the display.

is there an amp? Also maybe the balance is set to the right.

Also, is it Connext or dis-Connext (ok, ok, without Connext)?

Understand everything looks plugged in. Seems immediately like 2 issues: the bar and the right side. They may be related, but start with the right side problem. Unplug and replug the right channel things. Sometimes you find corrosion or something that looked plugged in wasn't really...

Also, photos would probably help us understand the amp situation and all.

Pics would be very helpful. Also, do you have a multimeter? You’re going to need one to do any kind of diagnostic.

Pics would be very helpful. Also, do you have a multimeter? You’re going to need one to do any kind of diagnostic.
I do indeed have two multimeters, both are currently in a shipping container on the Pacific Ocean somewhere with all of my tools and most everything else we own.

Okay, so I got to playing with the stereo and I figured out the soundbar. Looks like the power for that is directly to the battery and the red wire was disconnected. Wired it up and got it working. The sound for that is coming from the Amp rear RCA line out.

For the left side speakers (I don't have my multimeter yet), I physically swapped them with the right side speakers and the problem stayed on the left. So I know the speakers are okay. I looked at the wiring harness and checked all the connections, they seem good. At this point I need my tester to see if I have any current at the amp to eliminate it as the problem. Then it becomes a "chase the wires" game.

Am I missing anything?

20230806_163308.jpg20230806_163434.jpg20230806_163446.jpg

Seems like a good plan to me. My guess is the amp might be bad if it’s a Polk. I have 3 of them and have had problems with 2 of the 3.

Only other idea is to buy a DMM on Amazon if you don’t want to wait. I bought a couple for $20-30 and the work fine.

Ok, good info. So, to the port side speakers...
a) Are they dead for all of the inputs (radio, aux, etc.)?
b) When you swapped them, did you swap the speakers themselves or did you swap the RCA jacks in the photo? If not the latter, you might try that (cheap and easy to try).

Assuming you have checked both of those, I think your plan is good. My bet is that when you put the multimeter on the amp out you'll find the amp is dead on the left channel.

Check the 3.5mm connection, sounds like it’s not plugged all the way in.

Ok, good info. So, to the port side speakers...
a) Are they dead for all of the inputs (radio, aux, etc.)?
b) When you swapped them, did you swap the speakers themselves or did you swap the RCA jacks in the photo? If not the latter, you might try that (cheap and easy to try).

Assuming you have checked both of those, I think your plan is good. My bet is that when you put the multimeter on the amp out you'll find the amp is dead on the left channel.
I physically swapped the speakers. I will try swapping the RCA Jack's as well.

Check the 3.5mm connection, sounds like it’s not plugged all the way in.
I will try that as well, I unplugged and re-plugged a lot of cables, but can't tell you 100% that I tried the 3.5mm cable.

Seems like a good plan to me. My guess is the amp might be bad if it’s a Polk. I have 3 of them and have had problems with 2 of the 3.

Only other idea is to buy a DMM on Amazon if you don’t want to wait. I bought a couple for $20-30 and the work fine.
Can always use a 3rd multimeter, right!!

I will try that as well, I unplugged and re-plugged a lot of cables, but can't tell you 100% that I tried the 3.5mm cable.

Super common issue - loosing sound on left side when using 3.5mm connectors. People push them one click in but not all the way in.

Super common issue - loosing sound on left side when using 3.5mm connectors. People push them one click in but not all the way in.
So, I cannot find 3.5mm connector anywhere at the amp.

So, I cannot find 3.5mm connector anywhere at the amp.
If the wetsounds soundbar is amplified, it should have a 3.5mm jack. Follow the RCAs up to the sound bar.

If it’s non-amplified and they hooked it up to the factory Polk amp you might have bigger fish to fry.

If the wetsounds soundbar is amplified, it should have a 3.5mm jack. Follow the RCAs up to the sound bar.

If it’s non-amplified and they hooked it up to the factory Polk amp you might have bigger fish to fry.
The wetsounds soundbar is working. It is connected via two RCA Jack's to the rear output of the amp. The problem that I resolved with the soundbar was power.

The two left side speakers are not working and they are wired into the main amp wiring harness.

yamaha did some weird wiring on the 242xe with the sound bar and amps they put speakers in series so if one speaker was out it will knock the other out, I’m not sure about the AR240. As noted above the Polk amps were blowing channels most likely due to the load being 8ohms when it’s rated for 2 - 4ohms, in the theory 8 Ohms should be less load but with mine re wired running a 2 Ohm load and pushing them hard they have performed great. Remove the speakers disconnect and test with an Ohm meter should get 3.8 ohms then take a 9v baterry and see if it gets the cone to move. The best way to repair if the RCA works get an eq and multi channel amp and re wire everthing to the amp. The eq will take the RCA from the stock head unit and split it into Front (tower) rear (Cabin) and sub woofer channels these will feed the amp input and your stereo will sound 200% better.

The wetsounds soundbar is working. It is connected via two RCA Jack's to the rear output of the amp. The problem that I resolved with the soundbar was power.

The two left side speakers are not working and they are wired into the main amp wiring harness.

Oh got it, I thought the left side of the sound bar wasn’t working.

In that case , switch RCA at amp to see if issues switches sides, if not take out the left speakers. Check their resistance. If good then pop them with a 9v battery. If good then check for continuity between speaker wire at speaker and amp. If good then check for AC voltage out amplifier from speaker outputs. If good then you missed something above. If not good check your signal and zone levels, if good then bad amp.

Back