• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stereo set-up question

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
OK, I have a set-up question for the best way to set my system up with current amps/speaker that I have.

Here is list of what I have.

2 amps:
Clarion XC6210 - 2 channel 85 Watts × 2 Continuous @ 4-Ohms
JL M400/4 - 4 channel 75 Watts X4 @ 4 Ohms (also have a remote wired fader for this amp if i want to use it)

Speakers:
6 Stock Polk 650 (4 in cabin and 2 on transom) - not sure the power handeling on these
2 JL tower MX770 - 70 W i think is what they are rated for

I want to be able to have the tower and transom speakers powered seperatly an to be able to fade that volume seperate from the 4 cabin speakers.

Oh, head unit is a Clarion CMD8 - 4 channel output.

What would be the best way to wire this up?

And before anyone says just pick up a 8 channel amp - I'm trying to do this without spending any more $. I would think i have enough to put some reasonably good power through the tower/transom speakers with what i have. I want to be able to hear behind the boat a little more then i can right now while wakesurfing. I know the MX770 do not put sound at a distance like a set of wetsounds will but I would think they still will do a 1/2 way decent job if powered right.

I'm a noob when it comes to doing sound so any help would be appreciated. Even the basics of wiring the power. speaking of, I plan on using 4 AWG (or should I go 2 AWE? Then 4 AWE from the block to the amps?) stranded wire straight from the battery to a distribution block then fusing each amp separately. Can the remote turn on be used for both amps at the same time coming out of the head unit?

Lost of questions I know, been looking up guides online but not seeing something that fits what I want to do.

Thanks in advance.

Yamaha242lsdallas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Further though and I came up with this:

Wire my 4 cockpit speakers in parallel (2 each) effectively making them 2 speakers at 2 ohms (right?) And hooking up 2 channels from the head unit into the XC6210 forcing it to put out 125 watts at 2 ohms to those 4 speakers.

For the tower i'd just use the M400 all 4 channels (2 for tower and two for transom keeping it a 4 ohm setup) fed by the other channel off the head unit. I can use the wired remote mounted under the dash to control the fade between the tower and transom.

I can also still fade between the cockpit speakers and tower/transom using the normal fade on the head unit.

Only thing I can't do would be to fade between the 2 sets (4 total) Speakers in the cockpit due to them being wired in parallel. But I'm thinking that's ok.

What are thouhts about the setup? Any drawback with having the 4 speakers in parallel at 2 ohms? And would the M400 amp be able to drive the MX770 towers enough?

Would love any feedback.

Edit... just found out my cockpit and transom stock speakers are Polk DB651 speakers rated at 4 Ohms 60 watts continuous and 180 peak. So I'm guessing in parallel they would be 2 ohms at 120 watts continuous?

Last edited: