• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stereo sounds like crap when cranked up

butter-bean

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Ultranautics
Year
Other
Boat Model
Jetstar
Boat Length
Other
hello everybody

i just put a new pyle marine radio in my pontoon any ideas why it would sounds garbled broke up when cranked? my 1st guess was not enough juice so i installed dual battery's, no change so now back to square 1.

any ideas?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Get rid of the pontoon and buy a jet boat. All stereos sound better on the jet boat. :)

Also, lots of issues to work through here. Initially I wonder if you just are playing music to loud? Typically distortion starts at 70% of volume on low end systems. If it's clear all the way up to 70%, but sounds like hell at 80%, then you're just cranking it too loud. Other things to consider:

First, speakers could be blown. You can test this by pressing on the speaker cone with the system off (not in the middle, on the inside edge). If you hear any noise as you apply pressure on and off to the speaker, it's toast.

Second, do you have an amp? Is it cranked to much?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What source are you using? Many folks overdrive a line in as they use it for an Aux input and overdrive that input causing distortion. Adjust the volume on the source device. Another is MP3's which may be recorded at all sorts of levels as well.

But Anmut's advice is where it's probably at.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What source are you using? Many folks overdrive a line in as they use it for an Aux input and overdrive that input causing distortion. Adjust the volume on the source device. Another is MP3's which may be recorded at all sorts of levels as well.

Had this on my buddys boat this past weekend. Using the Wetsounds A-Link to connect his boat to mine. The "Volume" on the A-Link was set too high, and was giving him all kinds of crappy distortion. Reduced the "volume" on the input, and increased volume on the stereo itself and it cleaned right up.

butter-bean

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Ultranautics
Year
Other
Boat Model
Jetstar
Boat Length
Other
Get rid of the pontoon and buy a jet boat. All stereos sound better on the jet boat. :)

Also, lots of issues to work through here. Initially I wonder if you just are playing music to loud? Typically distortion starts at 70% of volume on low end systems. If it's clear all the way up to 70%, but sounds like hell at 80%, then you're just cranking it too loud. Other things to consider:

First, speakers could be blown. You can test this by pressing on the speaker cone with the system off (not in the middle, on the inside edge). If you hear any noise as you apply pressure on and off to the speaker, it's toast.

Second, do you have an amp? Is it cranked to much?
howdy thanks for the reply
i gota jet boat and it does sound better but i`m in my 60`s so i dont think i`m playing it to loud? well ok maybe i do remember saying the Alice Cooper concert i went to in the 70s was hard to hear.

the radio and speakers came together as a set so there about 5 months old like the receiver.

no amp i have one in the shop and never put it in.

im starting to think like another poster said. it may be in the wires, i did think when i installed it the wires looked to small but i figured the factory knew what size wires to use but i bet the factory stereo wasnt a powerful as this one im guessing and it goes through a switch on the dash also before i can power it on maybe bypassing all that crap and going to the battery will stop all this.? thoughts?

what about like in a car or truck, going directly to the battery from the stereo?

thanks fer the reply

butter-bean

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Ultranautics
Year
Other
Boat Model
Jetstar
Boat Length
Other
:thumbsup:

when you say line you mean wires correct? if so i`m thinking just that because its all factory wires and going through a switch on the console to. so like i said in the other reply i think im going to go with at least #10 for a power wire from battery to radio.

thanks for the reply and idea
be safe

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
:thumbsup:

when you say line you mean wires correct? if so i`m thinking just that because its all factory wires and going through a switch on the console to. so like i said in the other reply i think im going to go with at least #10 for a power wire from battery to radio.

thanks for the reply and idea
be safe
Line-in. A source device being set to high. Over driving a line-in.
Let the amps do the work. Like someone plugging a phone in with volume set at max. It will be crap. Or a Bluetooth adapter or a link like listed above.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had a Pyle head unit and speakers in one of my previous boats, like your system, it sounded like crap with the volume turned up. Until I bought and installed an amp (4 channel non marine alpine at first, replaced by a six channel Pyle amp later). I think an amp and a little tuning of the same will resolve your high volume problem and since you already have an amp on a shelf it wouldn’t cost you much at all financially plus maybe an hour of time. just don’t go overboard on/with the amps (like I did) or you may end up creating power/battery/charging problems for yourself (like I did).
4083CAA2-C3F9-4221-B692-62160E8D2042.jpeg4CE16D1C-42B4-4CB2-A8AD-F7FE635EC364.jpeg

Last edited:

butter-bean

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Ultranautics
Year
Other
Boat Model
Jetstar
Boat Length
Other
Line-in. A source device being set to high. Over driving a line-in.
Let the amps do the work. Like someone plugging a phone in with spline set at max. It will be crap. Or a Bluetooth adapter or a link like listed above.
ah ok. ill check on that but when i was out there this morning i looked and noticed all the wires are 16 Gauge to include power and speakers. im no expert on stereos but do know about 2way radios and i know that is way to small of a wire for this setup. and i do have a brand new amp in a box with all the power wires for it and will be installing it this week end and have to go to town to get the other wires.

thanks

butter-bean

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Ultranautics
Year
Other
Boat Model
Jetstar
Boat Length
Other
I had a Pyle head unit and speakers in one of my previous boats, like your system, it sounded like crap with the volume turned up. Until I bought and installed an amp (4 channel non marine alpine at first, replaced by a six channel Pyle amp later). I think an amp and a little tuning of the same will resolve your high volume problem and since you already have an amp on a shelf it wouldn’t cost you much at all financially plus maybe an hour of time. just don’t go overboard on/with the amps (like I did) or you may end up creating power/battery/charging problems for yourself (like I did).
View attachment 132282View attachment 132283
i like what i see on your system but i`m not going that far but
i think thats a good idea. im going to put my amp in this weekend and upgrade thr wires to the rest of the system and see what happens.

thanks

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
im going to put my amp in this weekend and upgrade thr wires to the rest of the system and see what happens.

thanks
I recommend That you start with the amp installation and see if it solves your problem before you go rounding new speaker lines and possibly mining for old speakers lines. It may save you some time, frustration (possibly from getting fiberglass splinters) and even a little money.

butter-bean

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Ultranautics
Year
Other
Boat Model
Jetstar
Boat Length
Other
roger that. yes going to install the amp first. it comes with #4 or #6 power wire cant remember, but i know thats enough for the amp