• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stereo Upgrade but what about powering it????

Jetstream79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello, I'm currently replacing the stock stereo and speakers in my 2020 SX 190. I've Opted for a pretty simple setup. 5 channel 1800 watt amp (prolly around 800ish RMS) 4x 74 Watt RMS Infinity cabin speakers, and a 250 watt RMS 8" Sub. I've purchased a second deep cycle 80ish AH battery and isolator switch. My question before I install all this stuff is will the Stator be able to keep up with the above system and actually charge the deep cycle battery or will I leave the dock and have 2 hours to play my stereo at anchor then it's dead for the day? I see all these awesome systems but how is everyone powering them and how long can you actually run a system like this on anchor? I'm not an electrician I know basic electrical terms and I assume just my little setup would pull 20-30amps. Thats gonna kill 80AH well in 3 hours or less right? Could someone explain how they work their power supplies on the single 1.8l Yamaha Boats?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is my opinion, and take that with a grain of salt.

We run a single 1000w JL amp, and have a pair of group 27 deep cycles. But it truly is setup as a cranking/house setup with isolator like you plan on doing. And we run a couple weekends of use off that one house battery before needing a charge. We run the tubes, and boards a bit, so the stator has the ability to put on a charge, but it will never put on a full charge.

I have a dual bank onboard Noco charger, and have to plug the boat in every other week or so. I run 120v down the dock, and plug 'er in. I could do this every night, but the deep cycle batteries I chose can take a deep drain without damage. As I put these batteries in new three seasons ago, and this will be the fourth season on those same batteries. I could expect to have to replace them this season or the next.

But dont' expect the stators to keep up if you plan at least two days a week of running that stereo at 5, let alone at 11. (blatant spinal tap reference)

Good luck,

Jetstream79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is my opinion, and take that with a grain of salt.

We run a single 1000w JL amp, and have a pair of group 27 deep cycles. But it truly is setup as a cranking/house setup with isolator like you plan on doing. And we run a couple weekends of use off that one house battery before needing a charge. We run the tubes, and boards a bit, so the stator has the ability to put on a charge, but it will never put on a full charge.

I have a dual bank onboard Noco charger, and have to plug the boat in every other week or so. I run 120v down the dock, and plug 'er in. I could do this every night, but the deep cycle batteries I chose can take a deep drain without damage. As I put these batteries in new three seasons ago, and this will be the fourth season on those same batteries. I could expect to have to replace them this season or the next.

But dont' expect the stators to keep up if you plan at least two days a week of running that stereo at 5, let alone at 11. (blatant spinal tap reference)

Good luck,
Thanks Biff. The battery I have is a group 27 Interstate deep cycle. I was thinking about getting a second deep cycle in parallel for the house setup and keep the stock cranking battery for GTFO at the end of the day. The SX 190 doesn't have a lot of speed and I am hesitant about 100lbs of extra weight using two group 27 Deeps. I guess it's what you gotta do though if you wanna rock the casbah all weekend. Gonna add the second group 27 battery I think. We trailer our boat every night when we camp and have access to electricity so I can overnight charge the batteries after a day of jamming. I don't have an onboard charger unfortunately but I don't mind $20 Sanford and Son's alligator clip chargers from Lowes lol

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks Biff. The battery I have is a group 27 Interstate deep cycle. I was thinking about getting a second deep cycle in parallel for the house setup and keep the stock cranking battery for GTFO at the end of the day. The SX 190 doesn't have a lot of speed and I am hesitant about 100lbs of extra weight using two group 27 Deeps. I guess it's what you gotta do though if you wanna rock the casbah all weekend. Gonna add the second group 27 battery I think. We trailer our boat every night when we camp and have access to electricity so I can overnight charge the batteries after a day of jamming. I don't have an onboard charger unfortunately but I don't mind $20 Sanford and Son's alligator clip chargers from Lowes lol
I think you have your priorities straight, and have plenty of options since you trailer it daily. You could even set this up as a dual deep cycle as mentioned and only add in the second house side if you find yourself draining it down on a regular basis. This would be advised if you are especially worried about the additional weight.

only you will know your listening habits, so that's why there are no wrong answers. When I see systems with 4-5 batteries, I truly ask if they are running those systems that hard? I think I'm just getting old and not abusing my system as hard as many. That's not to say we don't enjoy our system.

Good luck!

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Also if you don't want to get an onboard charger you can get a standard 2 or 4 bank Battery Tender brand(wall mount). I have it mounted on my wall in my garage where the boat sits, and if I ever think I'll need it at the campground I just put it in my truck. But I have never needed it with the dual battery setup even after 2 days of jamming for most of the day in a row

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have two batteries now, I've decided to add a 3rd for specifically the stereo and I think I'm going with an XS Power XP3000. I'll be running two amps and around 1200 watts RMS, although not super loud or hard. I feel like the 240 reserve capacity and 120Ah should suit me fine