• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

stereo volume control options

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hello community,
I'm at the start of my search for a new boat stereo, current one turns on/off as it sees fit and still hasn't coughed up the first CD I put in it almost 2 years ago...

I'm not a hifi kinda guy, mostly for background or floating tunes...no amps, decent speaks in play now.

One key item I am after is auto-adjusting volume. Boat slows/volume drops. (This feature is primarily for when my son pilots.). I haven't seen this feature built into the few stereos I've looked at...

I did find this: little pricey, but was looking for opinions if anyone is familiar.

http://watersportinnovations.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Boost-Box-Automatic-Control-Stereos/dp/B00K0XZLAG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1406322380&sr=1-1

HSE revolution; out of my price range and needs an AMP
http://www.dwcmarineaudio.com.au/vmchk/Amplifiers-Electronics/21-HSE-Revolution-Volume-Control.html

OR: anyone familiar with a decent stereo with this feature built in ?

Thanks in advance.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've wondered the same thing. Many new car stereos have that feature but I haven't seen a Marine stereo that had it built-in. Seems like a very logical thing to have on a boat.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I believe the difficult part is that in an auto, the speed is fed back into the radio via the computer system.

It looks like the boost box may use accelerometers

I imagine the easiest way to do this in a boat would be to have some sort of microphone controlling a feedback loop in the system.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
The auto volume would almost have to have a internal decibel meter for white noise, otherwise it would crank up if you were driving 70 MPH with the Windows up in a car. I would think maybe the Bluetooth Mic acts as the meter Mic to detect the noise level in the cabin and adjust accordingly.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
The HSE is out of business and long gone.
For the other volume controls you probably do not have enough gain for this to work without an external amplifier in an open boat. If you are looking for a wide swing in amplitude you would simply drive the moderate source unit internal amplifier into hard clipping.
I would look around for possibly a GPS-based phone app.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
The HSE is out of business and long gone.
For the other volume controls you probably do not have enough gain for this to work without an external amplifier in an open boat. If you are looking for a wide swing in amplitude you would simply drive the moderate source unit internal amplifier into hard clipping.
I would look around for possibly a GPS-based phone app.
I would listen to @David Analog his last name is analog, I bet he knows what he's talking about!!!!:devilhorns:LOL

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If the key feature of a new stereo is auto volume, this won't help you so read no further. But if you want a good stereo with great features, zone volume control, and some internal amplification to give your "decent speakers" better all around character, then look at the Fusion IP700i. I just put one in on the recommendation of a number of other members here, @Bruce @maboat. The ease of use, ability to host a vast audience of devices internally, and a transom remote that is second to none, was the reason I looked into this. I put my classic iPod right inside it, and both the HU and remote gain full control of the iPod without issue, as well as the iPod being kept charged! Nice HU and remote, with 45W RMS per channel of Class D amplification built right in. It won't replace a high quality amplified sound system with a sub, but it sure is miles better than the stock HU and speakers. Without breaking the bank.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If the key feature of a new stereo is auto volume, this won't help you so read no further. But if you want a good stereo with great features, zone volume control, and some internal amplification to give your "decent speakers" better all around character, then look at the Fusion IP700i. I just put one in on the recommendation of a number of other members here, @Bruce @maboat. The ease of use, ability to host a vast audience of devices internally, and a transom remote that is second to none, was the reason I looked into this. I put my classic iPod right inside it, and both the HU and remote gain full control of the iPod without issue, as well as the iPod being kept charged! Nice HU and remote, with 45W RMS per channel of Class D amplification built right in. It won't replace a high quality amplified sound system with a sub, but it sure is miles better than the stock HU and speakers. Without breaking the bank.

Thats sounds great....but !!...can you see the display and controls without reaching for the readers ?!?!?!?!!? (CURSES)
I just opened up the specs...very clean and visual !. the rapid mute button may be a substitute for a volume control.......Thanks for the lead.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@justason .....If you want to recover the cd from the player I have an easy method I found on YouTube. Wrap a credit card in cellophane tape sticky side out. Insert the credit card into the player fish it around and it will stick to the disk. It really works!

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

VERY NICE indeed !!!!!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thats sounds great....but !!...can you see the display and controls without reaching for the readers ?!?!?!?!!? (CURSES)
I just opened up the specs...very clean and visual !. the rapid mute button may be a substitute for a volume control.......Thanks for the lead.
You can see the controls, the text lines, and even read the playlists both day and night...now I don't know how much visual acuity you have or don't have, but at 58, I have progressive lenses in both my sunglasses and regular glasses...and I can operate the unit without them, but when scrolling for a song or album, it is WAY better than the text on the iPod itself, but the aid of cheaters may be more comfortable than without. Just put a gator on the cheaters and lay them over the throttles...then if you need them, your golden. But the display on the IP700i and the matching remote is the biggest I have seen with or without cheaters on! lol

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love my Fusion IP700. The remotes are very easy to read in direct sunlight with adjustable contrast and dimmable backlight for nighttime.

It can also display data from a NMEA2000 depthfinder/chartplotter. My depthfinder is not NMEA2000 compatible, but if I had one I could see depth readings and water temp on the transom remote. How cool is that?
upload_2014-7-31_14-31-56.png

And if that's not cool enough, Fusion has free iPhone/iPad remote control apps...

Did I mention I love my Fusion IP700? :D
Or should I say "Fewshin Sivin Hindrid" with Kiwi ingenuity :p

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I love my Fusion IP700. The remotes are very easy to read in direct sunlight with adjustable contrast and dimmable backlight for nighttime.

It can also display data from a NMEA2000 depthfinder/chartplotter. My depthfinder is not NMEA2000 compatible, but if I had one I could see depth readings and water temp on the transom remote. How cool is that?
View attachment 9396

And if that's not cool enough, Fusion has free iPhone/iPad remote control apps...

Did I mention I love my Fusion IP700? :D

well, as cool as it is...it's still no bassomatic ;)! It doesn't appear to handle the iPhone 5 docking connector, but with the USB port which I would prefer...plug it and forget it....and the bluetooth wifi and remote....I dont know that its required...this thing looks awesome !!

wired or wireless remote ?

I was so close to building up a blackout 300 next month, looks like those fund$ just got shifted !!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Eric, I have a Fusion IP600. I couldn't find any additional features in the IP700 to justify the price difference.

I believe the differences are monochrome screen in the IP600, a less cool but still cool wired remote and a less featured bluetooth adapter. Each of these items cost less than the 700 versions.

fusion01-640.jpg

You will want to order the adapter that @JetBoatPilot made for me or print your own (I drilled the countersunk holes).

fusion03-640.jpg

This is the remote.

Yamaha_SX230_Swim_Deck_Cup_Holder_Starboard.jpg

I do not have an amp so all of the sound at Honeymoon Harbor was from the Fusion head unit.

Attachments

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks @Bruce perfect timing, I was researching price and the 600 came up. i was just comparing features....

appreciate it

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
well, as cool as it is...it's still no bassomatic ;)! It doesn't appear to handle the iPhone 5 docking connector, but with the USB port which I would prefer...plug it and forget it....and the bluetooth wifi and remote....I dont know that its required...this thing looks awesome !!

wired or wireless remote ?

I was so close to building up a blackout 300 next month, looks like those fund$ just got shifted !!
Yeah, Fusion's internal dock is another victim of the IPhone docking connector switch-up. I have several devices around the house as well as the stereo in my truck with 30-pin connectors that are mostly useless now. As you alluded to, you can use a device with lightning connector but you need to use a lightning cable and a USB port. I'm OK with that. And yes, the WiFi remote is cool but mostly unnecessary on our smaller boats. On a cabin cruiser that would be a nice thing to have. I do have an old iPhone3 in a waterproof case that I carry so I can walk/swim away from the boat and still quickly MUTE or SKIP instead of running or swimming back to the boat when that not-family-friendly song pops up on the playlist unexpectedly :shamefullyembarrased:

Last edited:

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Eric, I have a Fusion IP600. I couldn't find any additional features in the IP700 to justify the price difference.

I believe the differences are monochrome screen in the IP600, a less cool but still cool wired remote and a less featured bluetooth adapter. Each of these items cost less than the 700 versions.
These may or may not be deal-breakers, but some of the other differences are...

IP700 supports Satellite radio (discontinued on the IP600)
IP700 supports VHF receiver (no transmit, just listen)

IP600 Bluetooth adapter is audio only - no control or display. All music selection must be done on the iPhone/Android
IP700 Bluetooth adapter supports two-way Bluetooth data. Supports song/artist/track selection and display and music selection from either device.

IP600 has 3 zone control. Each remote can control only one zone. Display is two-line fixed-font text
IP700 has 4 zone control. All remotes can control all zones. Display is multi-line multi-font. Larger fonts for primary display data, smaller fonts for secondary data, as well as various status icons.

IP700 head unit and remote support display of NMEA2000 data from other NMEA2000 marine devices.

And I can't find it documented anywhere, but with the color display and additional "smart" features of the 700, I highly suspect it has a higher-power internal processer and probably more internal memory than the 600.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unfortunately the iPhone 5 is too long to fit inside the Fusion head unit. So an adapter will not help.

We both use our phones externally to send music to the IP600. We also use our phones volume control to control the volume of the output. Rana's was picking music with her phone in her hand while passing out ham at Honeymoon Harbor.