• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stern light options?

atldude

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi fellas,

Trying to figure out what my options are for my stern light. The lady and I shipped the kid to the grandparents for about a week and took the boat out late at night. We started at 6pm and made it back around 11:30pm. By 9:30pm or so it was pretty dark.

This was the first time I used the stern light and it was a rather underwhelming experience. I'm not sure if it was just the point of view but it looked like just about anyone else had a much brighter light. Ours appeared almost useless and quite dim.

With this said, I am a newb when it comes to boating and I am not ruling out the possibility of not knowing what I'm talking about.. in other words I don't know if the purpose of this light is more suggestive rather than illuminating :) so please do school me if I'm on the wrong track here!

Thanks in advance!

PS: just couple of random photos from that night -

IMG_0323.JPG

IMG_0328.JPG

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
FYI - the front of the boat is the bow. Don't worry... I was the same way when I first got my boat. The lights on the bow are not to allow you to see where you are going but to allow other people to see you and determine which side they will pass

atldude

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
FYI - the front of the boat is the bow. Don't worry... I was the same way when I first got my boat. The lights on the bow are not to allow you to see where you are going but to allow other people to see you and determine which side they will pass
Thanks! Makes sense. I guess I'd see a different combination of white, red and green depending on the relative positions of other boats.

Sorry, I think I made it a bit confusing with posting the pics of the bow. My question is indeed about the stern light.

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
lol...thats cool and I apologize for making that assumption. do I have a stern light? I'm not sure if I do.... thats how much of a noob I am. I will look tomorrow. I know I have a light on top of my tow point....

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The stern light shouldn't illuminate your cabin area. It's a reference to show your boat. There is a visibility rating it should be compliant with though. It will also be displayed at night at anchor without your bow navigation lights on. It should also be marked roughly with the highest point of your boat.

atldude

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
lol...thats cool and I apologize for making that assumption. do I have a stern light? I'm not sure if I do.... thats how much of a noob I am. I will look tomorrow. I know I have a light on top of my tow point....
No worries! :thumbsup: I probably shouldn't have posted the pics but it came as an afterthought ...

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@atldude - the white light is referred to as the "anchor light". All three lights are referred to as navigation lights. when you are moving the light switch should be on NAV and if you are stopped or anchored switch it to ANC. In ANC mode only the white light is on. in NAV mode all three are on. Lights need to be on from dusk til dawn and in any other low visibility situations.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I switched to an LED bulb in mine which improved the brightness greatly!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I too was unimpressed by the stern light pole setup. So much so, I cut my stern light pole down after adding a tow point mounted light. . . . . . Any guesses as to why? 20170705_074955.jpg
20170709_133406.jpg

Floyd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
I think that most of the lenses on these lights are designed to focus most of the light out onto the plane of the horizon to increase the visibility to other boaters. Judging the brightness from off-axis is deceiving. Maybe try looking at it from the perspective of another boater, and make sure that corroded terminals aren't the culprit.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I too was unimpressed by the stern light pole setup. So much so, I cut my stern light pole down after adding a tow point mounted light. . . . . . Any guesses as to why? View attachment 59190
View attachment 59191
Nice boarding handle! My guess, anyway! I asked the NH Marine Patrol instructor about the stern light; I almost got hit on a NH lake when we were drifting with just the anchor light on. He told me anchor light meant anchor, not drifting, so I was in the wrong! I haven't forgotten that nugget of wisdom!

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Navigation lights are red (port) green (stbd) 112.5 degrees. An anchor light is an all around shite light (360 degrees) a stern light is white 135 degrees abaft.

Boats under 12 meters(39.4')
Sailboats-Separate or combination red and green sidelights, 112.5°, visible 1 n.m. White stern light, 135°, visible 2 n.m. OR, tri-color masthead light.

Powerboats-Separate or combination red and green sidelights, 112.5°, visible 1 n.m., placed above hull at least 1 meter (3.3') below masthead light. Masthead: white, 225°, visible 2 n.m., at least 1 meter above side lights. White stern light, 135°, visible 2 n.m. OR, one all-round (360°) white light (should also have sidelights).

http://www.bosunsmate.org/seamanship/lights.php

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice boarding handle! My guess, anyway!
Close. . . (Well, not really). . . . How about an Auxiliary 12v port?
Screenshot_20170711-124240.png

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length