• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stiff steering at speed? Normal?

Aaron

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I noticed on my first time out with my new boat that when going fast the steering was tight...like it wasn't as easy to turn the wheel left or right. When I was going slow no problem....is this normal?

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you installed after-market fins like Cobra or Vector? If so they could make steering more difficult at speed if they are still in the down position. Older fins stay in the down position. Newer fins should swing up unless they are not adjusted correctly.

MIDLIFECRISIS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
At speed stiffer steering is normal, the faster you go the more water you trying to divert through the nozzle.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As @jdonalds said fins will make steering more difficult at speed if they're in the down position. Without fins you want more resistance on your steering or you would be throwing your passengers out.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Your last boat was an I/O, and they have power steering...ours don't. It is literally the pressure to bend two big jets of water that you feel. And if you have fins, there is more resistance if they are in the water. Some of the fin models retract at speed and as such, they don't offer much resistance. This is a feeling you will grow accustomed to. It isn't so much resistance you can't spin te boat on a dime!

Aaron

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yeah no fins. But the power steering thing makes sense.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Aaron,

I went through this too coming from a I/O. It's a small learning curve you will soon overcome.