• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stiff steering?

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey all,

I've finished day 1 of a long weekend on Lake Shasta this weekend. The boat has been running great been exploring the lake and pulling boarders all day.

However this afternoon I noticed that when a boarder falls and I circle-back around to them, the steering gets really stiff. The general routine is the boarder will fall and I'll circle around to the starboard to pick them up. When bringing the steering back to center, it still pullsto the right.

As soon as I reduce thrust back to idle, the steering goes back to normal.

The nozzles seem to be in alignment and boat responds normally at idle speed, docking situations and general lake cruising.

I've checked the clean out ports , visually inspected the clean out ports and felt around the nozzles for loose parts and both engines appear to be the same.

Anyone experience this or have a thought about this?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I experience the same. (provided you mean STIFF steering and not stuff steering). We are considering removing the fins.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I noticed this change when i upgraded to larger fins. I try and make my arcs a bit wider now. I've been trying diff speeds as well

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you have big fins that are spring loaded so that they are up when you are going fast and catch a lot of water when you are going slow. My experience is that when decelerating when they first come down they have a lot of resistance to steering due to the amount of water they are catching and the speed the boat is moving at. The resistance decreases as the boat slows down.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks all. I do have TV XLs. I'll experiment more today with some wider arcs.

I did notice the powder coating on one of the fin cross members did come off yesterday. My guess is more vibration is causing this to come off.

Todd

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I Had the same problem when I installed my TVXL. The install video says to set spring tension at the 2 o'clock position. Very hard to steer at just below plaining speed. I loosened up tension to 1 o'clock so TV are very easy to push up. Big improvement. Took away heavy steering.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I Had the same problem when I installed my TVXL. The install video says to set spring tension at the 2 o'clock position. Very hard to steer at just below plaining speed. I loosened up tension to 1 o'clock so TV are very easy to push up. Big improvement. Took away heavy steering.
I did this too and it seems to work well.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The outer shell of the steering cable could have came dislodged therefore letting the cable bend and not push/pull like it supposed to. This would make it hard steer.

MNdrifter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the tip. I'll be doing this next time the boat is on the trailer.