• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stings from Jellyfish

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's the Jellyfish season over here in Thailand and it lasts about 3 weeks when we have a large invasion descend upon us then they disappear as fast as they came for another 12 months, They don't look to healthy after going through the jet pump but i believe the squid like them, If anyone happens to get stung a quick fix is apply a sensible amount of vinegar on the sting it works well and your back to normal in no time, Just buy a small bottle and keep it on board it's only a few cents and stops you spoiling a good days boating, I'm sure most of you already know but just for the ones that don't it's a useful tip.

IMG_3653.JPG
A small bottle of vinegar for a few cents take up no room.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Great tip. I know it's weird but a small container of meat tenderizer works too. Or I've heard you can have a buddy pee on you. LOL...that might be a myth though.

We get them here for a few weeks too....I always thought it was fun to idle over them and try and suck them through the pumps....I did it as a community service.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've heard piss works in a pinch from my friends and relatives in Hawaii. Jellyfish are not a problem where I boat but if they were I'd take @Geoff Cooper advice and keep a bottle of vinegar on board with the first aid kit.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Question, does it sting to touch recently shredded jelly fish?

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've heard piss works in a pinch from my friends and relatives in Hawaii. Jellyfish are not a problem where I boat but if they were I'd take @Geoff Cooper advice and keep a bottle of vinegar on board with the first aid kit.

I don't know i just shred it i never handled them, It's just nice to see a white haze out of the jet pumps if you hit a few at low speed.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know i just shred it i never handled them, It's just nice to see a white haze out of the jet pumps if you hit a few at low speed.
Think i would rather keep a bottle of Vinegar in the boat than a bottle of piss. Ha Ha

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you don't have storage space piss is a great alternative as it always seems to be readily available. What do you say to any female on board who gets stung, "let's get to the swim deck, I will whip it out and take care of you or have another female guest assume the squatting position, time to make it rain (for medicinal purposes).

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you don't have storage space piss is a great alternative as it always seems to be readily available. What do you say to any female on board who gets stung, "let's get to the swim deck, I will whip it out and take care of you or have another female guest assume the squatting position, time to make it rain (for medicinal purposes).
Well if necessary i'll piss on most females if required to.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

Yes It DOES....We tow sonar systems in the gulf of mexico and frequently have pieces of jellies come back on the cable and towed body. Wise to not touch it.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you have box jellies in Thailand? Unfortunately piss and vinegar do not work for them.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have box jellies in Thailand? Unfortunately piss and vinegar do not work for them.
Yes we get those to, Sounds like the best place for those is through the Jet pump.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Unfortunately piss and vinegar do not work for them (box jellies).
Uh, how do you know this? Did you read it somewhere or ...?

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Salt water ironically works great. A few years back I got stung on my foot when I was in The Gulf in Orange Beach, AL. It wasn't bad and I just hung out in the water for a few more hours. My wife Googled the whole pee on it thing, and it turned out salt water was a better solution.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Two summers ago I was walking the beach with my wife. We heard this kid screaming like he was being murdered. We ran over to see if we could help as there were a dozen of his family members standing around. I asked his mother what happend. She told me he was just stung by a jellyfish. I took her aside and told her to pour some urine on it. Urine is the only sterile fluid the body excretes. The warm temperature of the urine helps to draw out the toxins.

About 5 minutes after this treatment the boy was back to normal and back to playing on the beach.