• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Storing in garage?

chris oftedal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey everyone. Looking at buying a 2017 Sport or Deluxe. Only issue is I need to store in garage (hoa rules). My garage opening is exactly 7'. However, the specs on Yamaha's website says height on trailer is 7'1". I am also curious how much of a pain it is to remove t top. Anyone store in garage? Will my 7' garage work? Thanks!

SoftballBryan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
T top bolts are a bit of a challenge to remove but not overly difficult. We store ours in the garage as well and it really is simple. That's one of the reasons we bought the boat. Our garage door height isn't very tall so we have to take off the seat back and the plexiglass as well. Really nothing to it and having your boat out of the weather is a big plus.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I store mine in the garage quite comfortably. However, the boat with the leaning post is about 2" too tall for my 83" high garage door frame. So, I took off the leaning post with the six screws and found out I was scratching it up here and there and of course, over time, I was just wasting too much time doing it. I even pinched the palm of my hand pretty bad in the metal post because it closes as you move the seat (you'll see what I mean if you move the seat back to and fro) and it usually takes two people to do it efficiently. But it can be done. Pain in the arse when it's 95 degrees outside. Sweat and frustration.

Then I had an epiphany! Just let some air out of the tires right before I back it in...duh. It just makes it inside and then I reinflate the tires a few pounds to keep them in good shape. Only thing I need remove is the windshield. The boat stays in great shape out of the elements. If I had a T-top it'd be a different story. But the less I have to do, the better.

IMG_1112.JPG

chris oftedal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks everyone! Hoping to pick her up today. I asked the dealership of it was possible to somehow shave or cut a few inches off leaning post so it fits. I'll let you know what they say.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks everyone! Hoping to pick her up today. I asked the dealership of it was possible to somehow shave or cut a few inches off leaning post so it fits. I'll let you know what they say.
Unlikely they can shorten it since the post articulates in two parts. The first pic shows how they mesh together. Then as you move the post forward they disengage as they remain parallel and connected. The sequence of pics here will show you. I was not able to remove the two screws you see below to do the same thing. But hey...you never know! Can't hurt to ask.

IMG_1113.JPG IMG_1114.JPG IMG_1115.JPG

GA_BIll

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I to have a 7ft door and what I did was take the arms off the seat and swap them - meaning take the arm from the right side and put it on the left. The way the seat is made the connection to the arm is on the bottom of the plastic bracket. By swapping them it move the connection to the top and lowered the seat by about 2 inches. I have no issues with the seat sense doing this and can get though my door with no issues.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I to have a 7ft door and what I did was take the arms off the seat and swap them - meaning take the arm from the right side and put it on the left. The way the seat is made the connection to the arm is on the bottom of the plastic bracket. By swapping them it move the connection to the top and lowered the seat by about 2 inches. I have no issues with the seat sense doing this and can get though my door with no issues.
That's very interesting. I'm having a hard time picturing it. Do you or could you provide a pic? It may save me inflating my tires every time.

GA_BIll

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
unfortunately I did not take any pics when I had it all apart and to be honest my memory is a little foggy. But basically I disconnected the arms from the seat base, opened the cushion and pulled back as far as I could. I am little foggy from here since its been over a year ago I did this. but I removed the arms from the plastic bracket on the seat on both sides. removed the brackets and mounted them on the opposite side upside down and then put everything back together and you can see I have over an inch of clearance now on my 7ft door.

upload_2017-6-3_19-55-32.png

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
unfortunately I did not take any pics when I had it all apart and to be honest my memory is a little foggy. But basically I disconnected the arms from the seat base, opened the cushion and pulled back as far as I could. I am little foggy from here since its been over a year ago I did this. but I removed the arms from the plastic bracket on the seat on both sides. removed the brackets and mounted them on the opposite side upside down and then put everything back together and you can see I have over an inch of clearance now on my 7ft door.

View attachment 57034
Okay. Thank you. I'll take a closer look at mine and see if I can git 'r done.

chris oftedal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just pulled the trigger and bought a new leftover 2016 Sport FSH! Had to remove T-top, windshield, and leaning post to fit. Length was perfect. I am going to speak with a marine welding company to rig the top so it folds down. Can't wait to take her in the maiden voyage. Thanks for everyone's help. This is a great group

PatrickH

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length

View attachment 57034
So I pulled the brackets off of backrest as you mentioned. Two questions though. First, what did you use for top pin replacements...looks like rivets maybe? Second, does the fabric stretch too much at lower pocket opening due to arms being located higher up? Thanks!

Attachments

JediFish

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I pulled the brackets off of backrest as you mentioned. Two questions though. First, what did you use for top pin replacements...looks like rivets maybe? Second, does the fabric stretch too much at lower pocket opening due to arms being located higher up? Thanks!
How did you pop the rivets? Also did you end up finishing this? Looking to buy one myself and just curious. Thank you.

PatrickH

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Got distracted with fish finder project and haven't attempted to lower seat back yet. I'll have to re-measure garage door clearance too as it might require trimming off some of the seat brace to get low enough height. Good luck with boat, I'm really enjoying this model.

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Port Clinton, Ohio - Western Basin Lake Erie
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just pulled the trigger and bought a new leftover 2016 Sport FSH! Had to remove T-top, windshield, and leaning post to fit. Length was perfect. I am going to speak with a marine welding company to rig the top so it folds down. Can't wait to take her in the maiden voyage. Thanks for everyone's help. This is a great group
Make sure you let us know the solution for folding the T-top